What are your reasons for picking pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nilooniloo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been going through a lot of conversations and threads and I've seen way too many arguments and mixed opinions on this website. I'm doing a lot of research and making sure pharmacy will be right for me and I want to make sure that my reasoning for going into pharmacy is strong. Someone on one of the threads said that you shouldn't go into pharmacy to become a "Phake doctor". So I would love to know some of the reasons people chose pharmacy.

My reasons are:
1) I like the flexibility of the career. I like research a lot and based on the experience of pharmacists I've talked to, I can do a lot of different things with my degree. And getting into research on pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and drug discovery. I love a career in healthcare and I like that you can do a residency, become a retail pharmacists, or do research.
2) Having fixed hours/ regular hours and a schedule.
3) Having better work-life balance compared to people in some fields in medicine.
4) Money! Well as I mentioned I like research and based on my conversations with pharmacists, I can do a fellowship afterwards. If I wanted to do research as a PhD, I won't be able to make as much money compared to a PharmD.

These reasons are all based on my interviews and conversations with pharmacists and people who chose pharmacy school.

I'd like to hear about your experience.
Please let me know if any of my reasons aren't true or if you have anything else to add onto it, I'd appreciate it. (Also, if you have an opinion on PharmD/PhD dual degree program, I'd like to hear it!)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
1) I like the flexibility of the career. I like research a lot and based on the experience of pharmacists I've talked to, I can do a lot of different things with my degree. And getting into research on pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and drug discovery. I love a career in healthcare and I like that you can do a residency, become a retail pharmacists, or do research.

Flexibility of the career is only an illusion. The vast majority of the jobs have always been and are still in RETAIL and that is where most graduates end up whether they choose to or not.

You have to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and sometimes even overnights. No such thing as fixed/regular hours in pharmacy.

3) Having better work-life balance compared to people in some fields in medicine.

Maybe better than medicine but see above. Work-life balance is terrible.

4) Money! Well as I mentioned I like research and based on my conversations with pharmacists, I can do a fellowship afterwards. If I wanted to do research as a PhD, I won't be able to make as much money compared to a PharmD.

You'll likely graduate with $200k+ in debt. Sallie Mae will take $2,000/month or so of your after tax paycheck as you earn $70-80k/year if you're lucky enough to even land any job.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone,

I've been going through a lot of conversations and threads and I've seen way too many arguments and mixed opinions on this website. I'm doing a lot of research and making sure pharmacy will be right for me and I want to make sure that my reasoning for going into pharmacy is strong. Someone on one of the threads said that you shouldn't go into pharmacy to become a "Phake doctor". So I would love to know some of the reasons people chose pharmacy.

My reasons are:

These reasons are all based on my interviews and conversations with pharmacists and people who chose pharmacy school.

Please let me know if any of my reasons aren't true or if you have anything else to add onto it, I'd appreciate it. (Also, if you have an opinion on PharmD/PhD dual degree program, I'd like to hear it!)

Thank you.
3. Poor Work-life balance is not true in medicine. I know surgeons that only work three days a week and are off the remaining days. Heck, there are doctors that work from home due to telemedicine. Compared majority of resident trained pharmacists or new grads working night shift or retail floaters working 24 hour CVS stores. So take that reason with a grain of salt.

Fixed hours is not necessarily a good thing or an advantage. In medicine or CS, you can create your own schedule

Money

Your time and money would be well spent on getting a MS in pharmacology in a pharmacy school and then do the PHD in pharmacology. Or even better, you should go for MD/PHD, as that is more reputable.

Members don't see this ad :)
So there are 3 options: retail, residency, research.
From a survey:
1) retail: about 38% got job in 2019.
2) residency: about 22%. 1 hopital job posted at Kaiser: 300 applications.
3) fellowship: what number do you have, if any, after doing reseach?
I remember 15 years ago, acceptance rate to pharmacy schools was 10%-30%. When I didn't get in, no big deal cos no huge debt.
Now acceptance rate is 83%, I got in and out. Tuition is 180K at 7%.
I'll graduate this summer. Walgreens doesn't hire. Kroger will probably hire 3 out of their 20 interns. CVS hires all their internal interns who work at CVS for several years but they said they will look at their performance and won't keep them if it's bad. Rite Aid told me not to look for jobs posted online 'cos those are for show.
Did you look at BLS? Do you know how many students take NAPLEX each year?
Do you think you can go all the way to fellowship? How competitive do you think you are? Do 90% of people (students and professors) at your current school/classes know you and admire/look up/think highly of you? How is your GPA?
How long have you worked at a retail? How well are you dealing with customers?
If you can't go all the way to fellowship, you may be stuck with debt and unemployment/minimum wage job. There's no pharmacy-related job. I'm trying to find one on indeed and can't find any so far. I want to go back to work as a tech before but it seems like it's impossible.

Last edited by a moderator:
My own reasoning(s):

1) Spent some years working in different pharmacy settings as a technician: Started off in retail, then later down the road compounding in the inpatient side of a hospital, then after awhile spent some years active duty in the army working as a pharmacy tech. Within the roles in the military, I had the opportunity to work for the DOD at a level 1 trauma hospital both inpatient and outpatient sides of the department. Further experiences allowed me to also work closely with other healthcare professions overseas at a field unit (plus I got to join an air assault crew and work on my repelling skills from a Blackhawk and set up our "medicine tent"). Needless to say, despite the long hours and pride of "patients" I had some great experiences and memories both as a civilian and AD member.

2) Established steady stream of income: Due to me being overzealous, I was medically retired last year from the Army. With this I receive health benefits for my wife and two kids along with tax-free monthly compensation for the rest of my life. I mention this because it now sets me up for the autonomy to choose what it is I wish to prioritize with my work-life, family and hobbies.

3) Paid Housing and Education: As part of my service package as well as past degree and experience working in a pharmacy, the Veteran Affairs Dept. deemed me qualified for something similar to the GI Bill. I get tuition, books, travel, and housing paid for while maintaining full-time student status at a university of my choice. Instead of starting from ground zero for approval in another field (which I wasn't that interested in to begin with) I was accepted to a 3 year program all expenses (plus moving) covered.

4) Work Autonomy: This can be interpreted different ways but this is what I am referring to. Upon graduation, I have the true ability to decide where, when, and how long I want to work. I would love nothing more than to work for the VA and continue my journey their, but I also like the idea of still working in some capacity of pharmacy (this time as a pharmacist) whether that is to be full time or part time hours. Spouse works and kids in school so on top of a steady stream of income, more outside income is being established allowing me to decide what companies have to offer in what locations AND for how many hours. In other words, I am not bound by hours or health benefits. I can simply choose where and go from there.

With that, pharmacy has its drawbacks for those who have not worked in any pharmacy capacity. The educational costs + potential income is not justified due to more applicants coming into the workforce year after year. It actually makes me cringe when someone says "passion" for the job when most don't really understand the details required within the career and its projected outlook. I actually do find myself enjoying many potential aspects the profession has to offer, plus my own risk assessment of a career longevity is justified since I literally have nothing to lose.

Despite my experiences and doing well in school, if you took away my educational benefits and healthcare coverage for my family and told me to pursue pharmacy at this time, I would give it a hard "no." As much as I have enjoyed the aspects of preparing for it, putting my family at financial risk with six figure debt without the guarantee of wages as in times past is very worrisome. I shouldn't have to compete for a job when many other professions have jobs that compete for you.

Nonetheless, you do you. if you still find yourself drawn to pharmacy (knowing that pharmacy may not be drawn to you) and can make an impact on a specific community or region, then I say congrats and welcome to the field. Just know your joy will be based on giving service to others more-so than a paycheck.

• Wow
Hello everyone,

My reasons are:

Thank you.

Sorry but have you done any research at all about pharmacy?

1) PharmD is one of the least flexible degrees that exist. It is highly specialized meaning if you don't work in retail (where 70%+ work) or hospital as a pharmacist, there is very little use for it outside of pharmacy.

2) Pharmacists have to work a rotating schedule which includes days, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays. New hires generally work 1-2 weekends per month and get stuck with the crappy second shifts. Some places require you to be on call (carry a cell phone with you and be ready at anytime to go into work on your days off) with no extra pay. Expect to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is expected that you stay late to finish the work without pay. You will most likely be a retail floater (if lucky) which means no set schedule and driving all over the place. You won't know your schedule until a week ahead of time at most, sometimes only a day ahead of time.

3) See above. Working weekends and holidays means crappy work life balance. It's hard to get holidays, school vacations and Summers off. If you have kids, you'll hardly see them. You'll miss their sports games and family dinners while you're working second shift. You'll miss birthday parties on the weekend. You'll miss Thanksgiving and opening presents on Christmas.

4) Hahahahaha. I don't even know what to say. You realize that school costs $200,000 plus 4 years lost opportunity cost right? New grads average $50/hr for 32 hours/week right now. Calculate how long it will take to pay off $200,000 while making $70-90k before tax. By the time you graduate, the pay will be $40/hr. There are no more raises or bonuses.

5) Do you like living in the middle of nowhere? Because that's where the only jobs will be (if you're lucky).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
ALL THE WRONG REASONS

your reasons

I can only think of two good reasons to get into pharmacy at this point
1. I love pharmacy too much. If I cannot be a pharmacist I rather die
2. I have secure position lined up for me as long as I have active pharmacist license

Reactions: 6 users
Yea I am sorry to say the job market isn’t as good as it used to be. The only way to get a job at retail is to get a job as an intern and hope they have a spot for you at 45 per hour. If you want to work hospital you have to do residency but there is over 4000 residents right now and growing. Hospital pharmacists make up anywhere from 20-25% of the job market so 4000 residents competing against one another is a lot. If you choose pharmacy be prepared to be jobless because half of new graduates are these days and its only getting worse each year. If you are one of the few students that is lucky enough to get a fellowship with a drug company (my class of 150 had 2 students) then kudos to you.

Flexibility of the career is only an illusion. The vast majority of the jobs have always been and are still in RETAIL and that is where most graduates end up whether they choose to or not.

You have to work evenings, weekends, holidays, and sometimes even overnights. No such thing as fixed/regular hours in pharmacy.

Maybe better than medicine but see above. Work-life balance is terrible.

You'll likely graduate with $200k+ in debt. Sallie Mae will take $2,000/month or so of your after tax paycheck as you earn $70-80k/year if you're lucky enough to even land any job.

Wow.. That's really unfortunate. Thanks for your comment

Sorry but have you done any research at all about pharmacy?

1) PharmD is one of the least flexible degrees that exist. It is highly specialized meaning if you don't work in retail (where 70%+ work) or hospital as a pharmacist, there is very little use for it outside of pharmacy.

2) Pharmacists have to work a rotating schedule which includes days, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays. New hires generally work 1-2 weekends per month and get stuck with the crappy second shifts. Some places require you to be on call (carry a cell phone with you and be ready at anytime to go into work on your days off) with no extra pay. Expect to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is expected that you stay late to finish the work without pay. You will most likely be a retail floater (if lucky) which means no set schedule and driving all over the place. You won't know your schedule until a week ahead of time at most, sometimes only a day ahead of time.

3) See above. Working weekends and holidays means crappy work life balance. It's hard to get holidays, school vacations and Summers off. If you have kids, you'll hardly see them. You'll miss their sports games and family dinners while you're working second shift. You'll miss birthday parties on the weekend. You'll miss Thanksgiving and opening presents on Christmas.

4) Hahahahaha. I don't even know what to say. You realize that school costs $200,000 plus 4 years lost opportunity cost right? New grads average $50/hr for 32 hours/week right now. Calculate how long it will take to pay off $200,000 while making $70-90k before tax. By the time you graduate, the pay will be $40/hr. There are no more raises or bonuses.

5) Do you like living in the middle of nowhere? Because that's where the only jobs will be (if you're lucky).

I have talked to at least 7-8 pharmacists in different areas and I am constantly researching and reading about it which is why I have my doubts. I wanted to ask about your opinion and that's why I'm here. I do not want to jump into a whole career just because I'm interested but when I talked to people this is what I got from them. I appreciate your honesty. For now, I'm doing what I can to get more info.

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It was hard for me to read some of it but hey, I had to know! I think I'm going to continue my research and consider other options as well. So thanks again! :)
And good luck to all of you trying to find jobs :luck:

I have talked to at least 7-8 pharmacists in different areas and I am constantly researching and reading about it which is why I have my doubts. I wanted to ask about your opinion and that's why I'm here. I do not want to jump into a whole career just because I'm interested but when I talked to people this is what I got from them. I appreciate your honesty. For now, I'm doing what I can to get more info.

Well do those 7-8 pharmacists that you talked to have any job openings where they work? That's a pretty good indicator of the job market there.

Hello everyone,

My reasons are:

Thank you.

I hate to say this but you’re going into pharmacy for exactly all the wrong reasons. There is hardly any flexibility in this profession and you’re probably going to take that job offer, if they give it to you. They will dictate your work schedule. You’ll have to work night shifts weekends. Sorry you don’t get to choose. There are thousands of new pharmacy school grads who gladly fill your spot.
If you want to do research, go get a PhD in pharmacology if that’s what you love. PharmD is not a degree that gets you into research.
Fixed/regular hours are hard to come by therefore doesn’t help with worklife balance.
Money is the #1 wrong reason to go into pharmacy. Money is an automatic red flag that warns you that you’re absolutely not meant to become a pharmacist. You will hate your job. You will hate your life. I don’t know where people get the idea these days that pharmacists are rich. I can honestly tell that it’s a flat out lie. Pharmacists aren’t rich. Heck I’m not rich. Pharmacist wages have dropped from $60/hour to $45/hour, and it’s getting worse every year. If you want money, go into the tech industry or business or something else that’ll make you rich. Your $200,000 student loan debt from pharmacy school will make you poor for the rest of your life.
Lastly, it’s impossible to land a fellowship. In fact, you’re far likelier to catch a unicorn instead.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

My reasons are:

Thank you.
Hello fellow time-traveller. Wrong time period buddy, this is 2020, not 1999. Back to the time machine you go.

Hello fellow time-traveller. Wrong time period buddy, this is 2020, not 1999. Back to the time machine you go.
I'm just here to get help. I'm here because I don't know things and I need help. I don't understand what's wrong with that! No need to shame me or use sarcasm.

Well do those 7-8 pharmacists that you talked to have any job openings where they work? That's a pretty good indicator of the job market there.
Some of them did mention that they were the only pharmacist working and that they didn't have any replacements. I specifically asked them about the over saturation and most of them seemed unfamiliar with the term! I'm really trying to learn from other people's experience so that's why I'm asking here.

I hate to say this but you’re going into pharmacy for exactly all the wrong reasons. There is hardly any flexibility in this profession and you’re probably going to take that job offer, if they give it to you. They will dictate your work schedule. You’ll have to work night shifts weekends. Sorry you don’t get to choose. There are thousands of new pharmacy school grads who gladly fill your spot.
If you want to do research, go get a PhD in pharmacology if that’s what you love. PharmD is not a degree that gets you into research.
Fixed/regular hours are hard to come by therefore doesn’t help with worklife balance.
Money is the #1 wrong reason to go into pharmacy. Money is an automatic red flag that warns you that you’re absolutely not meant to become a pharmacist. You will hate your job. You will hate your life. I don’t know where people get the idea these days that pharmacists are rich. I can honestly tell that it’s a flat out lie. Pharmacists aren’t rich. Heck I’m not rich. Pharmacist wages have dropped from $60/hour to $45/hour, and it’s getting worse every year. If you want money, go into the tech industry or business or something else that’ll make you rich. Your $200,000 student loan debt from pharmacy school will make you poor for the rest of your life.
Lastly, it’s impossible to land a fellowship. In fact, you’re far likelier to catch a unicorn instead.
Thank you for your helpful comment. I don't mind hearing the truth! I'm glad I can hear it before it's too late.

Some of them did mention that they were the only pharmacist working and that they didn't have any replacements. I specifically asked them about the over saturation and most of them seemed unfamiliar with the term! I'm really trying to learn from other people's experience so that's why I'm asking here.

So in other words, no they're not hiring pharmacists? There you go.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
For the money and status? Parents forcing to..

Hello everyone,

My reasons are:

Thank you.
You realize there are nearly no jobs available, right? I have been a pharmacist since last may and I have not found a job yet and I had very good grades. Good lucking going to pharmacy school now.

• Wow
You realize there are nearly no jobs available, right? I have been a pharmacist since last may and I have not found a job yet and I had very good grades. Good lucking going to pharmacy school now.
Have you worked as a technician before? Are you still an intern? If not, how long can you be an intern for if you can't find a job?

• Hmm
Have you worked as a technician before? Are you still an intern? If not, how long can you be an intern for if you can't find a job?

I believe he stocks shelves at Walmart.

Once you are a licensed pharmacist, your intern license is voided.

My reason is very simple. Buy a GT3RS. Goal accomplished.

Just curious what percentage your car is of your net worth? I can't imagine spending more than 20k for a car.
Probably somewhere between 30-40%. Well, different people have different tastes. Some prefer to spend money on cars while others prefer to spend it on a house. I prefer to spend it on a car :) because I already have a house.

Probably somewhere between 30-40%. Well, different people have different tastes. Some prefer to spend money on cars while others prefer to spend it on a house. I prefer to spend it on a car :) because I already have a house.

Is this your only car or do you have a beater? Do you drive it to the grocery store and gym and stuff? I'd be afraid of getting scratches and dings. What happens if a shopping cart dents it, does it cost thousands of dollars to repair? Just curious 'cause I'd be so afraid of driving it anywhere.

Hello everyone,

My reasons are:

Thank you.

You mentioned research which is very important to know that research is a broad term and can be divided into 2 more specific branches. Basic Science Research such as pharmacology, drug discovery and medicinal chemistry are lab based and would require a PhD period and not a PharmD. Pharmacokinetics can be done by PharmD after a fellowship but its also more geared to PhD's.

Clinical Research in Pharmaceutical industry is more amenable to PharmDs but also requires specific experience and starting out you might make some sacrifices regarding pay which due to the high debt load most students have its not an option for most people. Another thing to point out is that a lot of pharmaceutical industry is very specific to locations in the US with most companies being in certain clusters around the USA such as California, North Carolina and near New Jersey and Pennsylvania and if you don't live in those areas opportunities are more scarce.

I do think PharmDs have a lot of opportunities in industry but its also not for everyone and you won't necessarily be hired only because you have a PharmD. Most people working in this field aren't pharmacists but nurses, people with sciences degrees, foreign MD's without licenses that started in a lower level job and moved their way up the ladder and make solid salaries.

I do agree a PharmD will make you a more competitive applicant in clinical research in pharmaceutical industry but it can't be the only thing that gets you a job. Like anything else, it requires more networking and internships to make it.