(serious) passing only through 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scubajock92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some feedback from the SDN community and to see if there are any residents and/or attendings out there who have had-, or see if anyone who knows another resident/attending who has had a similar clerkship experience I have had thus far (pass only), and are you/the resident/attending know doing well now practicing medicine.

I am currently finishing my 4th rotation (total of 8), and I have not felt this disappointed/defeated in my performance since undergrad or high school. My school (MD) uses an Honors/Pass/Fail System (no high pass), in which +/- 25% of students are able to obtain Honors for individual rotations. For background information about me, I have a STEP 1 score of >255, I have done a lot of community service during med school, and I have some research under my belt in several medical specialties. I had several jobs and multiple degrees before entering medical school. My school also does not use Honors for pre-clinical years, but I received several awards.

To the point: currently, I have 3 passes only (unfortunately, these comprise "the big three", which scares me since I wanted to pursue either internal medicine or surgery/surgical subspecialty). Consequently, I have decided that certain specialties I have done research for are no longer an option for me (w/ regards to residency), and I am preparing for me solely passing my third year. I am getting good shelf scores (above the cutoffs the school makes) and evaluation comments (summative statements look great), but I just can't seem to make the clinical grade despite working long hours and doing all I can to help the team (clinical evals are the majority of our grade composition). I am terrified this is a signal that I am not going to thrive in the future as a physician, and it will be a predictor that I will not be able to be matched or would be incompatible with/terminated from residency.

Am I right to be worried about my performance as a resident or attending, or just paranoid? Also, should I worry about not being matched into IM or any other more competitive specialties (say a high reach such as ortho- is this option gone)?

Feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I wanted to PM you and see if I could help you. I had a similar situation so message me if you'd like to discuss this more!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I think the best people to ask would be those in the specialties you’re interested in at your institution. No specialty is off the table for you with your step 1, especially if you have research in it. Every school uses different criteria for grades and as many people have stated grading in third year is pretty subjective (it matters, but most people in charge of recruitment know it’s subjective). So don’t get down in the dumps.