IM audition at site I already rotated through 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popopopop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm going into IM and have a semi-reach site I'd like to match to. This place might be ultimately my #1. I did a 3rd year core IM rotation in the fall and got a great LOR, good evals, much networking. I'm still in contact with a few residents there. My question is if you were in my shoes, would you do an actual audition/sub-i there in your 4th year? The purpose really is to pop my head back in and don't let them forget me since it's been a year. My concern is that I show up, get unlucky somehow with a different team/attending, and not look as good as I did during 3rd year, sort of ruining something that wasn't broken.

Should I just forget it and use that month for an elective? It would be around winter and I should have two previous IM auditions planned, making me stronger going in. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I did that, actually. Ended up doing very well and i think it gave an even better impression of me than before. Still my #1

Reactions: 1 user
I did that, actually. Ended up doing very well and i think it gave an even better impression of me than before. Still my #1

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting about 50/50 opinions about it at the moment. I can see how it's ultimately in my hands how I perform there.

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting about 50/50 opinions about it at the moment. I can see how it's ultimately in my hands how I perform there.
I won’t lie, because it was my top choice going into it, i was definitely more nervous and my anxiety was higher for fear of messing up. It ultimately settled as i was working with attendings/residents i already know so i was more at ease