Serious Moral Dilemma- pulling strings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to use names, places or anything. But has anyone been the beneficiary of "pulling strings" through people you know at schools?

I have had a job at a "teaching hospital" associated with a medical school for 5 years and have made many connections over the years. These "connections" know me very well as a person and student and SEEM to have made some numerical exceptions to get me an interview...

I have mixed feelings. I'm excited beyond words and confident that I live up to the "recommendations" but feel like if my numbers aren't what they should be that I shouldn't be there... I don't really know how to describe this feeling...

anyone ever face this dilemma? PM if necessary...

Members don't see this ad.

Two things homer,
1st dont look a gift horse in the mouth, and 2nd your numbers arent the only thing that counts when it comes to making a good doctor. The people who pulled strings to get you the interview have probabally spent some time analyzing you and your work and deemed it good enough for an interview. Go to the interview and show them who you are. Good luck bud

half of getting into medical school is politics, its about who you know and money.

who cares how you got in, all that matters is what you do with your time once you get in.

I had a friend who got into cornell med school. he wasn't the best student or had the highest mcat. He got in because a dying associate of his father donated money to the school.

He would have been rejected out right without the "donation". he just took his USMLE step 1 and got 90th percentil.

everything little thing helps once you get to this point. So if you've got that on your side, abuse it to no end till you get in cause rest assured other people would too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, I'm heading into this full-go... This is nothing less than an opportunity of a lifetime...

carpe diem!

HomerSimpson-

Whenever you feel like this may give you an "unfair" advantage, just remember that most people who have become successful had plenty of "help" along the way.
Sometimes the cliche' is right: it's not what you know, it's who you know. Use your connections to reach your goal. They can help you reach it, but you have to prove you belong there once you get there! The very best of luck to you.:)

Diplomacy is what it's all about in some cases. It's unfortunate, but true. If you know someone who knows someone who knows someone etc, take advantage! It doesn't end after medical school acceptance either. Just wait until you begin looking for a residency/job.

Dude, its not even an issue. I don't see how you even think you're getting help?

Its like this: would medical schools even have a grade cutoff if they had the opportunity to get to know each student for x number of years prior to interviewing? Hell no. They'd already know who was qualified and who wasn't. They'd probably put all the names in a hat and randomly pick.

The reason we have to play the numbers game is because adcoms don't know everyone who applies. So you don't have an unfair advantage. After all, what if they knew you and knew you were a real ja**ass. Even if your numbers were good, your knowing them would be an inherent disadvantage compared to some joe schmoe off the street with mediocre numbers who wasn't a complete tool. See my point? So I don't even see the ethical dilemma.

Just my opinion.

As I see it:

1. No one has a "right to a spot". If you were to pull strings, you're still not depriving someone else.

2. Because the notion of stats, etc is so nebulous, as long as you are in the acceptable range, you're fine. And I firmly beleive that if you weren't in range, no amount of string pulling gets you in.

Good luck to you.

points well taken... thanks guys, I definitely feel better...:)

Use every connection you have.

If you can do well in school and become a good physician, then what difference does it make?

Good luck.