Serious DILEMMA: HELP.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTdreamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I was recently accepted to Touro University in Henderson, NV. I'm very excited about getting in somewhere, however, I missed something big when looking at the school.

I've posted their NPTE Pass Rates below, and those numbers raise some serious red flags for 32k/yr in tuition and fees. What do you all think about this? They are accredited by the way.

http://tun.touro.edu/programs/college-of-health-and-human-services/physical-therapy/accreditation/

Posted below is their curriculum, again, seems very vague compared to other programs.

http://tun.touro.edu/programs/college-of-health-and-human-services/physical-therapy/cirriculum/

PS It says their class size is usually 40, but only 25 graduates....? Am i missing something?

Any advice at all is much appreciated,

Still don't know how i missed this stuff!

Thanks! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Touro NPTE Pass Rates.jpg
    Touro NPTE Pass Rates.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 49
They also misspelled "curriculum" in their link below... I hope the sloppiness does not extend to the way the school operates.
http://tun.touro.edu/programs/colleg...py/cirriculum/

Is that the only school you got accepted to? If so, try to work as hard as you can to be part of the 64% who got their license on the first try.

Only 64% get their license on the 1st try nationally? Schools advertise that its around 90% and up that I have seen

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had bothered to look at the thumbnail attached to the OP's post, you would have seen that the 64% is for Touro-NV students only.

One of the PTs I shadowed went to Touro (in NY), and he expressed that he wasn't impressed with the program but that it was "OK." I've also heard from other Touro students that they are really unorganized. I think they are known as one of the easier schools to get into (at least relative to other PT programs).

I definitely recommend looking at NPTE pass rates as one of the highest criteria for programs (along with cost of tuition).

Did you apply anywhere else?

I was accepted to Touro last year as well. I chose not to go based on unanswered emails and phone calls. Sounds lame, but if I'm paying an arm and a leg, you better be there to answer my questions! lol jk...but really. Not to mention, about 2 months after I told them I was declining, they sent me an email that said "Thank you for your deposit..." I almost shat my pants and was frantically checking my bank account. They just seemed really disorganized from the start. To each their own I guess because I have heard of a few people on here who said they liked it at the time I was talking to them.

Hey Nicole, I had a bad feeling i was going to get this kind of response. Isn't Midwestern Glendale just as expensive?

I applied to 13 schools, and have a bunch of interviews but this is the only acceptance i have so far. It's still early in the cycle, so i guess time will tell.

My real question though, i can't even afford the $1000 deposit they want by this coming Tuesday, should i ask for an extension or is that unreasonable? I really don't have any other option =/

Thanks for the advice people, it's much needed at this point!

I don't think it's worth the $1000 deposit if you have multiple interviews lined up elsewhere already, and you know you wouldn't want to attend the program. However, you will have to put a deposit down somewhere eventually so you should start saving for that.

I never said i wouldn't want to attend the program. If they're getting 80% through NPTE they must be doing something right. Lets think about it this way... it's an easier school to get into correct? Therefore they take some of the less "talented" (number wise at least) students. Those students may not be ready for this kind of curriculum, which may be the reason their pass rate is well below the average. Just a thought.

Is it unreasonable to ask for an extension on the deposit though? I mean the worst i'll get is a no, right?

I never said i wouldn't want to attend the program. If they're getting 80% through NPTE they must be doing something right. Lets think about it this way... it's an easier school to get into correct? Therefore they take some of the less "talented" (number wise at least) students. Those students may not be ready for this kind of curriculum, which may be the reason their pass rate is well below the average. Just a thought.

Is it unreasonable to ask for an extension on the deposit though? I mean the worst i'll get is a no, right?

That's a good point! And I don't think it would hurt to ask about an extension, either.

If I'm not mistaken, the $1000 deposit is 90% refundable at Touro NV. I remember this came up during the last application cycle. Be sure to check with them to make sure though. I've actually heard some good things about their program. If you're only risking $100 it might be a good idea to pay the deposit and reserve your spot. This way you'll have an acceptance and less stress during the waiting process. Money well spent in my opinion.

I can come up with $100 but I just don't have a $1000 to spend right now...

Hey Nicole, I had a bad feeling i was going to get this kind of response. Isn't Midwestern Glendale just as expensive?

I applied to 13 schools, and have a bunch of interviews but this is the only acceptance i have so far. It's still early in the cycle, so i guess time will tell.

My real question though, i can't even afford the $1000 deposit they want by this coming Tuesday, should i ask for an extension or is that unreasonable? I really don't have any other option =/

Thanks for the advice people, it's much needed at this point!

Yes Midwestern is expensive. It's a private school. But I loved everything about it, which is something I can't say about Touro. The staff at MWU bent over backwards to make sure my questions were answered and i had all the information I needed. You can ask for an extension, but it probably won't happen. It's all about the $ haha

I'm in the same situation as DPTdreamer right now apparently =\ DPT, I just spoke to someone in the program and they said it may be partially refundable. So you could maybe borrow it from someone if you're getting it back if you decide not to attend the program.

I paid their 1000 dollar deposit and got 50 dollars back a couple months later..

Think about it this way. Pay 1000 now or risk not getting in anywhere else and miss out on a year of PT salary. That should help you decide real quick :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

You are welcome. If money is tight then don't be afraid to ask for an extension. The worst thing they can say is no.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I'll find a way to get it somehow. I talked to a few more people currently in the program and they really like it. Apparently only 2 or 3 didn't pass the NPTE on the first try out of the last class. Good news finally :)

hey DPT dreamer,

When did you send your application in and how soon did TUN get back to you?

I am sending the secondary application to them in the morning.

E-submitted 8/3
Mailed 8/8
Received from TUN 8/15
Accepted 9/11