Dilemma...need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kodpt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my dilemma...
I'm on 1 DPT wait list and that's it. In the email I received it said that it is possible to not find out until the classes start June 5th. So now I'm in the waiting game and really hope to get in. No rankings or anything are available.

Because I have only had other declines I thought I better have a plan B. I have a wife and son and am needing to support them and work during this year if I don't get into the DPT program but I would like to further my education. I am a certified athletic trainer and have applied to a Masters degree program and a Doctorate program as well. They are both online.

Unfortunately this is where I am stuck. I was accepted already to the masters one and have to accept by April 17th and put down a nonrefundable $500. Then the classes start early May.

I have a phone interview on the 17th for the Doctorate program and it also starts early May so I will be waiting to hear back about that.

What would you guys do?? I would hate to accept at either of those programs and then hear late May/ early June about the DPT program (my ultimate goal). But on the other hand if I'm not accepted then I totally gave up other schooling. I need thoughts and advice! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kodpt, first off I have to admit our situations are very similar except your current situation is what mine was last year at this time. I am a current married AT as well and have my story of applying to PT school for the last 2 cycle rounds. I could give you what I went through and learned but that also may only matter if you are going to apply for PT a second cycle in case you do not get in this time. As you state PT is your ultimate goal but how many cycles have you applied? Also what field is your masters program and/or doctoral program you are considering in? How long have you been an AT for?

I can only speak to my experience and it is so hard to really give advice over a forum on what is best for your situation because the decision you make obviously impacts everything going forward and I do not want to be the individual who ultimately persuaded you but maybe my experience can help with discussion. I am just needing a little more info on what your options are before I wrote that out in case you are going a completely different route and it wouldn't be relevant to your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
So here is my dilemma...
I'm on 1 DPT wait list and that's it. In the email I received it said that it is possible to not find out until the classes start June 5th. So now I'm in the waiting game and really hope to get in. No rankings or anything are available.

Because I have only had other declines I thought I better have a plan B. I have a wife and son and am needing to support them and work during this year if I don't get into the DPT program but I would like to further my education. I am a certified athletic trainer and have applied to a Masters degree program and a Doctorate program as well. They are both online.

Unfortunately this is where I am stuck. I was accepted already to the masters one and have to accept by April 17th and put down a nonrefundable $500. Then the classes start early May.

I have a phone interview on the 17th for the Doctorate program and it also starts early May so I will be waiting to hear back about that.

What would you guys do?? I would hate to accept at either of those programs and then hear late May/ early June about the DPT program (my ultimate goal). But on the other hand if I'm not accepted then I totally gave up other schooling. I need thoughts and advice! Thank you in advance!
If DPT is your ultimate goal, I don't think going to the online programs would be of any use, especially if you plan on trying again next year. Also, i'm not sure how great an online degree would look on a job application, depends on the job I suppose, but either way, if you plan on going into DPT eventually, why not just work for the next year, retake some classes, take the gre again, apply to a school like Marshall University which only takes into account the higher grade if taken twice; as opposed to wasting money on an online degree you wouldn't use ever again?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So here is my dilemma...

You should just put in the 500$ deposit as a safety option, but regardless why did you apply for online programs you would benefit far greater in a more traditional program.

Assume you not get into PT school and do not be a ****ty athletic trainer.

You should just put in the 500$ deposit as a safety option, but regardless why did you apply for online programs you would benefit far greater in a more traditional program.
The masters degree is completely online while the doctorate is a hybrid. I need to be able to stay where I am located to work if I don't get into DPT. Both have high reviews.

If DPT is your ultimate goal, I don't think going to the online programs would be of any use, especially if you plan on trying again next year. Also, i'm not sure how great an online degree would look on a job application, depends on the job I suppose, but either way, if you plan on going into DPT eventually, why not just work for the next year, retake some classes, take the gre again, apply to a school like Marshall University which only takes into account the higher grade if taken twice; as opposed to wasting money on an online degree you wouldn't use ever again?
That is some great advice I hadn't thought of thank you. The masters is of health science and is completely online where the doctorate is of athletic training and is a hybrid. I was hoping to stay where I am if I don't get into DPT so that I can work and then I thought maybe I should further my degree since this is my 2nd cycle of applying to PT. Not sure what my chances will be next year but thanks I hadn't heard of Marshall!

Hi Kodpt, first off I have to admit our situations are very similar except your current situation is what mine was last year at this time. I am a current married AT as well and have my story of applying to PT school for the last 2 cycle rounds. I could give you what I went through and learned but that also may only matter if you are going to apply for PT a second cycle in case you do not get in this time. As you state PT is your ultimate goal but how many cycles have you applied? Also what field is your masters program and/or doctoral program you are considering in? How long have you been an AT for?

I can only speak to my experience and it is so hard to really give advice over a forum on what is best for your situation because the decision you make obviously impacts everything going forward and I do not want to be the individual who ultimately persuaded you but maybe my experience can help with discussion. I am just needing a little more info on what your options are before I wrote that out in case you are going a completely different route and it wouldn't be relevant to your situation.
Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one! So I graduated in 2015 and have been working at a high school as an AT. This is my 2nd cycle of applying for PT. Obviously it is stressful and difficult as you know to be rejected this much then rethink about what needs to be done. I believe I would reapply again this year if declined again. The Masters degree is of health science and is for 1 year online- it has good reviews but primarily it would mainly just be to up the salary. With it being 1 year then I could go to PT hopefully as it finishes.

The doctorate is of athletic training. It is a hybrid program and would be 2 years long. They are both about the same price. I would think that a doctorate would allow me to teach athletic training as well as said before higher pay.

I'm hoping to not be an athletic trainer for life as it's such a difficult job when you have a family, the time that is. But I wouldn't mind teaching it at a college down the road if I don't get into PT. I would love to hear your situation too. Thanks!

Wow I'm glad I'm not the only one! So I graduated in 2015 and have been working at a high school as an AT. This is my 2nd cycle of applying for PT. Obviously it is stressful and difficult as you know to be rejected this much then rethink about what needs to be done. I believe I would reapply again this year if declined again. The Masters degree is of health science and is for 1 year online- it has good reviews but primarily it would mainly just be to up the salary. With it being 1 year then I could go to PT hopefully as it finishes.

The doctorate is of athletic training. It is a hybrid program and would be 2 years long. They are both about the same price. I would think that a doctorate would allow me to teach athletic training as well as said before higher pay.

I'm hoping to not be an athletic trainer for life as it's such a difficult job when you have a family, the time that is. But I wouldn't mind teaching it at a college down the road if I don't get into PT. I would love to hear your situation too. Thanks!

The doctorate would allow you to teach especially since AT is changing to masters entry level but outside of the teaching chance I do not believe higher level degrees result in higher salary for athletic training. Companies have been paying so little for AT for awhile now, why would they change. Also why I dont agree with the change to master entry level to only increase debt with no increase in pay I feel. My example is I earned my masters and then my wife and I moved back to her home state and I got a PRN job. Yes it was PRN and not full time but they did not seem to care much I had my masters and started me off right where they start everyone off. I got to know my supervisor pretty well there to the point I felt comfortable asking salary questions and they said even if full time I would have started at the same spot. They told me years of experience mattered to them much more than education level. Anyways my PT experience is below.

I originally thought AT was where I was going with my career. Graduated with my AT degree before the switch to masters entry level and then went on to pursue a graduate assistantship which was nice because you gained experience while earning your masters. I learned quickly though my experience in undergrad was far different than what it was like as the actual staff athletic trainer with the traveling and late nights/early mornings. I got married during my graduate program and started to see those hours and being gone is not what I wanted the rest of my life. But I enjoyed healthcare and knew I enjoyed the athletic training room time and really sitting down with athletes and trying to figure out what was going on to get them back out playing. That started to lead me to looking at PT (funny random note about that is my senior year in high school I took one of those career assessment quizzes in a class and go figure, PT was my #1 choice but back then didn't know much about it and everyone convinced me engineering is where I needed to go so never really researched it. Long story short, follow the hints and your own feelings not others.) I decided after talking with my wife that PT is what I ultimately wanted which is what you said is your goal too. That meant a few more prereq classes to take and with where we moved, little option of working full time since those classes were only available in afternoon and evening slots. But we sacrificed in areas and moved in with family to save some costs to help with offsetting the lower income of only one of us working full time. Then came time to applying for PT schools.

The first year I admit I did have a little bit of the "I am an athletic trainer" attitude and I have experience that others right out of undergrad do not have. Not that I am full of myself but I felt that would hopefully give me a little edge when applying but I learned quickly that certainly did not. I applied to three schools, all that did not do interviews and got denied with no waitlist opportunity at all of them. I never really got a time to sit and talk with other applicants and learn what they have done to prepare for applying to PT school and had I did more research and used this site more, because many are very open on here about their skills and preparation, it would have showed me just being an athletic trainer was not enough for the demands of earning a spot in a PT school. Getting outright denied did sting but I had already made my mind up that I would apply again if I needed to so I started to make changes to certain areas in my application. I retook the two classes I had C's in for prereqs and earned A's this time. I found new experiences to shadow and work experience to gain hands on practice. I rethought my letters of recommendation and was better prepared with my information for the individuals writing them for me the 2nd time. I also retook the GRE even though I hated that test but did do better so it was worth it.

I applied to more schools this time to increase odds, and earned multiple acceptances this time around. I understand its a burden financially and a very tough decision especially with a family to support but if you have a very supportive spouse and it is your ultimate goal to make a PT program, I say you go for it. Once I made the decision to change to PT, you sacrifice to make it happen but now that I am in, every sacrifice has been worth it. If any of my story sounds similar to yours than hopefully I somehow helped. This turned out to be much longer than I anticipated but I saw you were a fellow AT and in the same situation in many ways so figured my story could give some possible insight.

Last thing is I do enjoy AT but I don't love it. Many of the individuals I covered for in the PRN job told me they liked it too but also many would tell me they are already working on whats next for them too. AT is good but many I feel get burned out but for those that don't, they make good ones, and I respect them but I couldn't stay with it. I wont give up my certification but I know PT is where I want to go due to hours, increased settings, and what I envisioned the future as with family. I dont want to be working some high school game when my hopefully future kids activities are going on. Almost all PT's I observed with were done by those hours but I know that can vary. Long story short, if you are feeling any doubt about AT, I say go and give PT another go even if its your 3rd time. I know I only did 2 cycles but I would have done it for 3rd because I see opportunity with PT that AT didnt provide. Teaching is the different aspect you have that I never considered but my wife teaches and I give her the upmost respect because I could not teach no matter the age of the students.

Last edited:
The doctorate would allow you to teach especially since AT is changing to masters entry level but outside of the teaching chance I do not believe higher level degrees result in higher salary for athletic training. Companies have been paying so little for AT for awhile now, why would they change. Also why I dont agree with the change to master entry level to only increase debt with no increase in pay I feel. My example is I earned my masters and then my wife and I moved back to her home state and I got a PRN job. Yes it was PRN and not full time but they did not seem to care much I had my masters and started me off right where they start everyone off. I got to know my supervisor pretty well there to the point I felt comfortable asking salary questions and they said even if full time I would have started at the same spot. They told me years of experience mattered to them much more than education level. Anyways my PT experience is below.

I originally thought AT was where I was going with my career. Graduated with my AT degree before the switch to masters entry level and then went on to pursue a graduate assistantship which was nice because you gained experience while earning your masters. I learned quickly though my experience in undergrad was far different than what it was like as the actual staff athletic trainer with the traveling and late nights/early mornings. I got married during my graduate program and started to see those hours and being gone is not what I wanted the rest of my life. But I enjoyed healthcare and knew I enjoyed the athletic training room time and really sitting down with athletes and trying to figure out what was going on to get them back out playing. That started to lead me to looking at PT (funny random note about that is my senior year in high school I took one of those career assessment quizzes in a class and go figure, PT was my #1 choice but back then didn't know much about it and everyone convinced me engineering is where I needed to go so never really researched it. Long story short, follow the hints and your own feelings not others.) I decided after talking with my wife that PT is what I ultimately wanted which is what you said is your goal too. That meant a few more prereq classes to take and with where we moved, little option of working full time since those classes were only available in afternoon and evening slots. But we sacrificed in areas and moved in with family to save some costs to help with offsetting the lower income of only one of us working full time. Then came time to applying for PT schools.

The first year I admit I did have a little bit of the "I am an athletic trainer" attitude and I have experience that others right out of undergrad do not have. Not that I am full of myself but I felt that would hopefully give me a little edge when applying but I learned quickly that certainly did not. I applied to three schools, all that did not do interviews and got denied with no waitlist opportunity at all of them. I never really got a time to sit and talk with other applicants and learn what they have done to prepare for applying to PT school and had I did more research and used this site more, because many are very open on here about their skills and preparation, it would have showed me just being an athletic trainer was not enough for the demands of earning a spot in a PT school. Getting outright denied did sting but I had already made my mind up that I would apply again if I needed to so I started to make changes to certain areas in my application. I retook the two classes I had C's in for prereqs and earned A's this time. I found new experiences to shadow and work experience to gain hands on practice. I rethought my letters of recommendation and was better prepared with my information for the individuals writing them for me the 2nd time. I also retook the GRE even though I hated that test but did do better so it was worth it.

I applied to more schools this time to increase odds, and earned multiple acceptances this time around. I understand its a burden financially and a very tough decision especially with a family to support but if you have a very supportive spouse and it is your ultimate goal to make a PT program, I say you go for it. Once I made the decision to change to PT, you sacrifice to make it happen but now that I am in, every sacrifice has been worth it. If any of my story sounds similar to yours than hopefully I somehow helped. This turned out to be much longer than I anticipated but I saw you were a fellow AT and in the same situation in many ways so figured my story could give some possible insight.

Last thing is I do enjoy AT but I don't love it. Many of the individuals I covered for in the PRN job told me they liked it too but also many would tell me they are already working on whats next for them too. AT is good but many I feel get burned out but for those that don't, they make good ones, and I respect them but I couldn't stay with it. I wont give up my certification but I know PT is where I want to go due to hours, increased settings, and what I envisioned the future as with family. I dont want to be working some high school game when my hopefully future kids activities are going on. Almost all PT's I observed with were done by those hours but I know that can vary. Long story short, if you are feeling any doubt about AT, I say go and give PT another go even if its your 3rd time. I know I only did 2 cycles but I would have done it for 3rd because I see opportunity with PT that AT didnt provide. Teaching is the different aspect you have that I never considered but my wife teaches and I give her the upmost respect because I could not teach no matter the age of the students.
This is amazing advice. I really appreciate the time you took in sharing your story with me. It does help to know all this from someone with a further degree and experience with AT too. Congratulations on getting into PT. I will take all your thoughts into consideration. Thank you again for reaching out!

If you really want to be a DPT, then turn down the other school offers. I would instead focus on working as many hours as you can this year, retaking any classes and getting ready to reapply next year. I have a friend who is an AT who said it didn't change her particular salary at all to get a masters in AT (is that true?). If it is, why pay a lot of money for more education and no salary shift? Getting a masters/doctorate won't help with your PT application. I made the mistake of doing a masters in Kinesiology when trying to strengthen my PT application. I still got rejected. It was only when I went back to community college and retook all of my prereqs that made a difference in admissions for me. That pre req GPA is still one of the THE most important factors.

Hey! It's nice to know there are other ATs out there going for DPT! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you end up doing!