Serious About Lawsuit Against UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of the following did you experience at UConn? (You may choose more than one)

• Psychological Abuse

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Emotional Abuse

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Emotional Rape

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Professional Harrassment

• Submission to Drug Testing

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Submission to Drug Counseling

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Submission to Alcohol Testing

• Submission to Alcohol Counseling

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Submission to Psychiatric Evaluation

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Submission to Psychiatric Counseling

• Submission to Neuropsychological Testing

• Submission to Marriage Counseling

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Submission to Personality Testing

• Submission to Personality Counseling

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Threats

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Intimidation

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Coercion

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Humiliation

• Immoral Treatment

• Unethical Treatment

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Expulsion (or nearly expelled)

• Revocation of Diploma (or nearly revocated)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Witholding of Diploma

• Suspension (or nearly expelled)

• Forbid You to Voice Your Opinion Even in a Respectful Manner

• Violation of Medical Privacy

• Violation of Academic Privacy

• Violation of Basic Human Privacy

• Violation of your Rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Submission to Meeting with a Committee to "Monitor" You

• Lied to You

• Lied About You

• Severe Depression

• Consider Suicide to put an end to the Bullying

• Severe Anxiety

• Punishment of any Sort

• Verbal Abuse

• Fearful of Revealing your True Identity on this Forum

• Submission to being a Participant in a Research Study

• Other

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Me4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, cats meow had some fun on that last thread, but was actually serious. Through pm'ing, we decided to start a new thread with a serious poll and place some restrictions on it.

Please respect the following rules of this thread (no, we cannot enforce them, just please respect them).
1. First and foremost, respect SDN's rules.
2. Please do not, in any manner whatsoever, reveal even the slightest bit of identifying information about another poster.
3. Be truthful about your experiences.
4. Please do not minimize the feelings and experiences of another poster.
5. As tempting as it is, please refrain from statements whose purpose is to shock people. (Likewise, catsmeow and I have decided to remove the poll choice about sodomy.)
6. The purpose of this thread is to invite traumatized people to share in their hurtful experiences at UConn and for us to try to come up with a solution to end the pain. Thus, if you love UConn and just want to defend it, please respect our feelings and do it elsewhere. If you love (or hate) UConn and want to find a way to help heal the pain or to change the environment for the good, then you may post.
7. Please do not participate in the poll unless you currently attend UConn or graduated from UConn SDM.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you brought up the issues surrounding privacy. Absolutely NOTHING about you is private at UConn and something must be done about it. Word spreads throughout the faculty and admin (and sometimes even to students) about anything you've done.....made a mistake, needed counseling, have a medical issues, are having some trouble.....stuff that you would find very very personal. It's downright humiliating and if I found out they had violated the law I would happily take part in nailing each and every one of their asses to the Cross. Who the F-uck do they think they are?

iamhuman said:
I'm glad you brought up the issues surrounding privacy. Absolutely NOTHING about you is private at UConn and something must be done about it. Word spreads throughout the faculty and admin (and sometimes even to students) about anything you've done.....made a mistake, needed counseling, have a medical issues, are having some trouble.....stuff that you would find very very personal. It's downright humiliating and if I found out they had violated the law I would happily take part in nailing each and every one of their asses to the Cross. Who the F-uck do they think they are?

It is disgusting how they completely violate your privacy and basic human rights. Of all ppl, they should be the most respectful of your medical privacy, but they are disgusting about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some ideas that I have gathered from other ppl's posts and some of my own thoughts:
1. Create an on-line support group,
2. Get involved in legislation for higher education,
3. Get involved in a non-profit group dedicated to preventing bullying in the workplace,
4. As a group, file a lawsuit. The negative attention itself might encourage UConn to change its ways, which is what we are after,
5. Warn as many ppl as possible about this school to prevent them from suffering too,
6. Individually receive therapy so they can't continue to hurt us,
7. Petition the ADEA for a code of conduct for dental educators

boohoowg5.jpg

Me4 said:
Okay, cats meow had some fun on that last thread, but was actually serious. Through pm'ing, we decided to start a new thread with a serious poll and place some restrictions on it.

Please respect the following rules of this thread (no, we cannot enforce them, just please respect them).
2. Please do not, in any manner whatsoever, reveal even the slightest bit of identifying information about another poster.
5. As tempting as it is, please refrain from statements whose purpose is to shock people. (Likewise, catsmeow and I have decided to remove the poll choice about sodomy.)
6. The purpose of this thread is to invite traumatized people to share in their hurtful experiences at UConn and for us to try to come up with a solution to end the pain. Thus, if you love UConn and just want to defend it, please respect our feelings and do it elsewhere. If you love (or hate) UConn and want to find a way to help heal the pain or to change the environment for the good, then you may post.

If you all are serious about a lawsuit, you must be the most ignorant and beligerant idiots on the face of the planet.

If your juvenile minds can think back to any lawsuits in the past whether criminal or civil, the one thing all lawyers have their clients do is to shut the hell up and not discuss the case. Knowing this, which all of you should, assuming you are slightly intelligent and educated, leads me to believe you all are nothing but whiney little bizatches with some lame agenda to discredit UCONN cause none of you can handle it.

Pull your skirts up, quit crying, and get on with yourselves. CRYBABIES

InMyCrossHairs said:
If you all are serious about a lawsuit, you must be the most ignorant and beligerant idiots on the face of the planet.

If your juvenile minds can think back to any lawsuits in the past whether criminal or civil, the one thing all lawyers have their clients do is to shut the hell up and not discuss the case. Knowing this, which all of you should, assuming you are slightly intelligent and educated, leads me to believe you all are nothing but whiney little bizatches with some lame agenda to discredit UCONN cause none of you can handle it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This post is clearly an example of trolling and will be reported.

Additionally, it's people like you (those who have poor ppl skills and need to exert their power over vulnerable ppl to feel like they are worthwhile) who will probably end up in administration at a school.

InMyCrossHairs said:

Another very clear example of trolling that will be reported.

Additionally, name-calling is never acceptable.

If you cannot respect the rules of this thread as well as of SDN, please be mature enough not to post.

crazy_sherm said:

How have the 3 of you guys not been banned for trolling?

InMyCrossHairs said:
If your juvenile minds can think back to any lawsuits in the past whether criminal or civil, the one thing all lawyers have their clients do is to shut the hell up and not discuss the case.

Read the first post! It clearly states that this thread is a way to come up with solutions to FIX the problems at my alma mater. Some of us are actually interested in trying to improve the reputation of the school so that we do not have to come from a "discredited" school, which is an embarrassment. Further, some of us are actually interested in doing good for the rest of society by preventing others from being subjected to what we were subjected to. Generally, dentists are spse to caring, compassionate ppl!

Me4 said:

Perhaps it would be more helpful if you briefly summarized what's going on at UConn. What's going on? I'm a physician and attorney. Maybe I can provide you with some guidance.

Me4 said:
How have the 3 of you guys not been banned for trolling?
Because, we're not trolling, we're just telling the truth. Guess what? Dental schools are full of abuse. So are medical schools. On average the hazing has gone down, not up, over the past century. Many students have felt the same way but nothing is going to change for at least two reasons:

1. People want to be doctors and are willing to do what it takes. The rewards of being a doctor are great enough that most people will tolerate the bull**** it takes to get there.
2. Students are only in school for 4 years. As short-timers, no one really cares what you think.

Oh, and one more: There is no crying in medicine.

What are you going to sue the school for? Making you feel bad? Since when is hurting your feelings a civil or criminal violation?

This reminds me of a coupla seven year olds arguing. "My dad will sue you if you keep it up!" There are better ways to solve problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you condone the problem just because it occurs frequently, you are PART of the problem. You, and everyone else, would LOVE it if the rest of us made the effort and brought about change.

tx oms said:
Because, we're not trolling, we're just telling the truth. Guess what? Dental schools are full of abuse. So are medical schools. On average the hazing has gone down, not up, over the past century. Many students have felt the same way but nothing is going to change for at least two reasons:

1. People want to be doctors and are willing to do what it takes. The rewards of being a doctor are great enough that most people will tolerate the bull**** it takes to get there.
2. Students are only in school for 4 years. As short-timers, no one really cares what you think.

What are you going to sue the school for? Making you feel bad? Since when is hurting your feelings a civil or criminal violation?

This reminds me of a coupla seven year olds arguing. "My dad will sue you if you keep it up!" There are better ways to solve problems.

iamhuman said:
If you condone the problem just because it occurs frequently, you are PART of the problem.
Totally true!

tx oms said:

You can actually sue someone for intentional infliction of severe emotional distress. You have to prove that a reasonable person would've suffered severe emotional distress; you have to prove that you specifically suffered severe emotional distress; you have to prove that the inflictor meant to cause suffering; and you have to prove that it was unhealthful stress=distress.

Also, we could sue for violation of medical and academic privacy, violation of the American's with Disabilities Act, and violation of basic civil rights. Further, I don't think it would be all that hard to also sue for sexual harrassment. I once spoke up about a professor who made sexually derogatory remarks directed explicitly toward me, and I was told that I needed to "understand that ---is just 'old-school'.

Finally, there are now some states that have laws against workplace bullying and trauma. Further, it would be great to be able to take a case to the supreme court and set a precedence stating that threats, intimidation, and coercion have no place in higher education, a professional environment, or anywhere for that matter!

tx oms said:
It was said before and I'll say it again...we are trying to find the best way to handle the situation...that is the purpose of this forum. Sometimes, the best way to get a change is to sue. Do you really think that we want to have to sue? No. We want the school to change. We want to make a difference and know that our pain and suffering led to a change for the better. We do not want to be ashamed and embarrassed of the school we graduated from. Do you know how embarrassing it will be to walk into your office day after day and have your diploma "proudly" displayed behind you but know the truth is that you are disappointed in it?

Finally, you are welcome to post here if you can promise to try to promote the purpose of the forum. If you cannot do that, then I ask that you please act like an adult (and not the 7 yr olds that you refer to us as) and please leave this forum. We are trying to create a change for the better and don't need trolls. Please be the adult you claim to be and respect that.

iamhuman said:
If you condone the problem just because it occurs frequently, you are PART of the problem. You, and everyone else, would LOVE it if the rest of us made the effort and brought about change.

1. A certain amount of toughness is often required to forge critical thinking skills, and to prime students for leadership positions in their communities.

2. You guys made the decision to attend the school. Did you not interview there? Did you not speak to current students? UConn has LONG had this reputation. Search SDN, you'll find threads about this from 6 years ago. It was YOUR choice.

3. I wouldn't care if you brought about change because I attend a school that HAS already turned away from traditional dental school philosophies.

4. TX OMFS isn't going to give a flying pig if you change anything. His specialty is pain with an advanced degree in removing buccal bone.

ItsGavinC said:
1. A certain amount of toughness is often required to forge critical thinking skills, and to prime students for leadership positions in their communities.

2. You guys made the decision to attend the school. Did you not interview there? Did you not speak to current students? UConn has LONG had this reputation. Search SDN, you'll find threads about this from 6 years ago. It was YOUR choice.

3. I wouldn't care if you brought about change because I attend a school that HAS already turned away from traditional dental school philosophies.

4. TX OMFS isn't going to give a flying pig if you change anything. His specialty is pain with an advanced degree in removing buccal bone.

1. We don't have a problem with requiring students to think critically and with preparation for leadership positions. We have a problem with the maltreatment that serves no purpose and is actually counterproductive to critical thinking skills and leadership goals.

2. When we interviewed, we were flat out lied to. This school's mission statement states that it strives to educate us in a "collegial" environement. I have by no means been educated in a collegial environment in any sense of the word.

3. To say you wouldn't care if we brought about change is just plain rude and shows no concern for social progression.

4. Ttly true!

HardWay said:
1. We don't have a problem with requiring students to think critically and with preparation for leadership positions. We have a problem with the maltreatment that serves no purpose and is actually counterproductive to critical thinking skills and leadership goals.

2. When we interviewed, we were flat out lied to. This school's mission statement states that it strives to educate us in a "collegial" environement. I have by no means been educated in a collegial environment in any sense of the word.

3. To say you wouldn't care if we brought about change is just plain rude and shows no concern for social progression.

4. Ttly true!

With your attitude of wanting to attend University of Utopia, I don't think you would be happy anywhere.

scalpel2008 said:
With your attitude of wanting to attend University of Utopia, I don't think you would be happy anywhere.

No school will ever be perfect, but that doesn't mean that a school shouldn't have minimal standards of decency displayed toward all human beings.

Neither you nor tx oms would care if postive change was brought about at UConn? Well I think attitudes like that are part of the problem. It's a shame that if something doesn't directly involve you, you don't really care.

So why participate in this thread then, I wonder?

ItsGavinC said:

scalpel2008 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Hey wait a minute... I think I applied there and got rejected :oops:

iamhuman said:
Neither you nor tx oms would care if postive change was brought about at UConn?
Of course they wouldn't! They are balls to the walls OMS guys. That's the way they operate (no pun intended :cool: )

The profs that do this stuff at our school, given it's not to the degree you describe, do it because it was done to them. They paid their dues, and now we have to pay ours. It's the professional school circle of life.

It's kinda obvious that the original poster is the same person as the other two supporting his opinion that uconn abuses it's students. They each have around 10 posts and flip out if someone disagrees with them. It's just someone with sour grapes, and they should be ignored. Every institution of higher education in some way has abused students. This is not the place for a person who has been abused to gain justice. If they think that bad mouthing uconn on SDN is going to create an uprising against the school, they probably didn't deserve to be in dental school in the first place.

I just keep thinking of Steve Buscemi's character in Billy Madison....you know, the guy who had the list of who to kill? "Boy am I glad I called that guy!"

Maybe you, rather than the institution, needs to change. Ever thought of that? Professional schools are like boot camp or the armed forces in general: there is a hierarchy and there is hazing. How far would a cadet get by suing the army b/c his drill instructor was a big fat meanie? Gavin's right, you wanted to go to dental school. They didn't ask you to come, they didn't force you to come. I hated dental school, too. In fact, at one point in school I had the application to medical school filled out and ready. I stuck with it though.

Rather than be a whiny student who can affect no change, why not go into dental academics and become the professor everyone always wanted. Put your money where your mouth is and go after the real solution.

I don't think fragile people with weak psyche need to be doctors. Sorry.

tx oms said:
Maybe you, rather than the institution, needs to change. Ever thought of that? Professional schools are like boot camp or the armed forces in general: there is a hierarchy and there is hazing. How far would a cadet get by suing the army b/c his drill instructor was a big fat meanie? Gavin's right, you wanted to go to dental school. They didn't ask you to come, they didn't force you to come. I hated dental school, too. In fact, at one point in school I had the application to medical school filled out and ready. I stuck with it though.

Rather than be a whiny student who can affect no change, why not go into dental academics and become the professor everyone always wanted. Put your money where your mouth is and go after the real solution.

I don't think fragile people with weak psyche need to be doctors. Sorry.

gotta say i agree w/ this post....too much whining going on here. just because we live in a litigious society doesn't mean it's the right way to go about things. suck it up and use it as motivation to make a change.

TxOMS, please leave this thread if you do not want to adhere to the original idea of this thread.

Wayhare, please stop responding to Txoms. Maybe then he will go away.

Catgoesmeow, please stop egging them on. We agreed this would be a serious thread and you are contributing to the degradation of it.

Anyone have any serious suggestions that they want to post in a respectful and adult-like manner?

iamhuman said:
So why participate in this thread then, I wonder?

Because opposition is needed in all things in order for things to be in perspective. You all ranting and raving about UConn does nothing to further your forming of a critical argument against the school. That is assuming that you actually want to form a critical and logical argument.

tx oms said:
They didn't ask you to come, they didn't force you to come. I hated dental school, too. In fact, at one point in school I had the application to medical school filled out and ready. I stuck with it though.

I stuck it out too, and it seems as if others on this thread have stuck it out too.

Some of us are involved in dental academics and we do keep in mind what hurt us and what helped us in dental school to become better dentists. The thing is, I am one professor at one school. I would like to see a change throughout ALL of higher education, esp at my alma mater. I want to be proud to say that I attended UConn. After all, a school is more than it's board scores.

As you can see, we are trying to find as many solutions as possible to fix the problems.

Finally, if you have never attended UConn, you have no right to say some of the things that you are saying

ProZackMI said:
Perhaps it would be more helpful if you briefly summarized what's going on at UConn. What's going on? I'm a physician and attorney. Maybe I can provide you with some guidance.

Thanks! If you do in fact have a JD and an MD, you could be very helpful to us. Is there any way we could find out about your credentials? Are you board certified? Where do you recommend we start? This is such a huge topic, we don't know where to begin. Should we try to find a lawyer or an organization with some goals similar to ours? Should we try to find almost all people upset with the school? Do you think that Is there a statute of limitations? Like, if you are several years out of dental school, can you no longer sue for things like violation of academic privacy? Will suing do any good given that UConn is a public institution? I know people think that suing is bad, but suing is what sets precedences and changes society on a very large level. I mean, just b/c we live in a litigous society doesn't mean that all lawsuits are frivolous.

ItsGavinC said:
Because opposition is needed in all things in order for things to be in perspective. You all ranting and raving about UConn does nothing to further your forming of a critical argument against the school. That is assuming that you actually want to form a critical and logical argument.

IamHuman: I agree with ItsGavin. This sort of opposition will help us form a more sound argument against the school.

My problem with the opposition isn't that they are the opposition, it is the manner in which they are opposing us. They are opposing us via name-calling, vulgairty, and hatred; they are not opposing us in a manner that says "think about it this way...some people would say xxxxxx." Thus, that is why I have asked that people, including some of our own (ie Catmeow), stick to the original purpose of this thread. Opposition is welcomed as long as it is done so in an adult-like and helpful manner. Otherwise, please be mature enough to go away. You don't have to go home, but please don't stay here if you are just antagonizing people. Remember, we asked that posters please respect the feelings of other posters. Please do not minimize their feelings.

S Files said:
gotta say i agree w/ this post....too much whining going on here. just because we live in a litigious society doesn't mean it's the right way to go about things. suck it up and use it as motivation to make a change.

Need I say it again? We are trying to use what happened to us as motivation for change. We want change. We want to be able to be proud of the school we graduated from and we want to be proud of the profession that we have joined. I love this profession, so I don't want it to develop a bad reputation based on the way it treats/views people. And yes, students are people too.

Now, if you have any suggestions for solutions, by all means, please tell us. Otherwise, you too are just whining about the fact that we are living in a litigous society.

Me4 said:
Need I say it again? We are trying to use what happened to us as motivation for change.

That's a good attitude to have, and I wish you luck in your pursuits. Just don't put your neck out on the chopping block unless you have all of your ducks in a row.

That probably goes more so for current UConn students. I'd hate to see comments here being used as fuel for the very fire you are complaining about.

You could try contacting the ACLU. If they can't help you they might be able to refer you to an attorney specializing in education. You could also consult an attorney specializing in civil litigation.

I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, TxOMS is correct that dental school has many characteristics in common with the military. However, there is no justification for this abuse and hazing. Dentistry is not the military. Modeling dental education after military-like intimidation tactics is a poor idea. I doubt the individuals calling the posters whiners have been subjected to substantial emotional abuse in dental school. Otherwise, they would not lack compassion for these students' suffering.

I have no sympathy for faculty who mistreat students. The irony is if the tables were turned the student would have the book thrown at him.

Me4 said:
I know people think that suing is bad, but suing is what sets precedences and changes society on a very large level. I mean, just b/c we live in a litigous society doesn't mean that all lawsuits are frivolous.
Your statements are downright ridiculous. Suing to set policy is bad, even evil. Suing should never cause change on a societal level. Commrade, in a democracy the majority sets policy and makes social change through the legislative branch and through peer pressure. You cannot effectively legislate morality nor can you sue to get it. Your method of changing society is akin to totaletarianism--you and/or the judge making decisions for all of the citizens. Using the judicial system to set policy is basically as far left as one can get. It strips the rights of the people in favor of a few all knowing judges. Problem is, the judges can and do make mistakes. Judges are people who are biased and subject to fickleness. If the people, via the legislature, make a change at least it is a done through representation and is more easily repealed than judicial edicts.

The judicial system is here to try criminals and resolve disputes on an individual level. It is not here to create new laws that didn't or wouldn't make it through the legislature. Can you imagine a law that says all dental professors must be warm and fuzzy?

Me4 said:
Need I say it again? We are trying to use what happened to us as motivation for change. We want change. We want to be able to be proud of the school we graduated from and we want to be proud of the profession that we have joined. I love this profession, so I don't want it to develop a bad reputation based on the way it treats/views people. And yes, students are people too.

Now, if you have any suggestions for solutions, by all means, please tell us. Otherwise, you too are just whining about the fact that we are living in a litigous society.
The hazing has only gotten better over the years, yet, somehow, dentists were well respected fifty years ago just as now. It would seem that hazing in school doesn't affect the way the average dentist treats his patients and other people after school.

These posts remind me of Milton on Office Space--you know, the guy always threatening something but still getting pushed around. Even when he did "win" in the end all he really did was release his anger rather than cause a change in the system.

You guys are doing the same thing. Your lawsuit will not change anything, even if you win (which would be a travesty of justice). Rather than ranting on the internet why don't you go out and recruit more touchy-feely faculty? Why don't you go full time at UConn and work your way up to Dean? My point is not that suing is wrong (it is), but that it won't solve the problem. Go take a full time job at UConn. That will be a step towards solving the problem. Until the faculty are replaced nothing will change.

If you are already out of school why are you still crying about school? Why can't you move on with your life? I know a general surgeon who is several years out of residency and still can't stop talking about how horrible residency was. Guess what? I don't care! Get over it and move on.

The way to make a change is not with the court. It starts with you. These days people turn to the courts expecting instant "justice" and societal change. In contrast, affecting a real change would require dedication to the cause and time out of your life. You say you want change; what you really want is a quick fix and revenge. Go ahead, Milton, burn the building down.

tx oms said:
Go ahead, Milton, burn the building down.
Has anyone seen my stapler? (include your own lisp) :laugh: No, but in all reality... great example.

tx oms said:
The hazing has only gotten better over the years, yet, somehow, dentists were well respected fifty years ago just as now. It would seem that hazing in school doesn't affect the way the average dentist treats his patients and other people after school.

These posts remind me of Milton on Office Space--you know, the guy always threatening something but still getting pushed around. Even when he did "win" in the end all he really did was release his anger rather than cause a change in the system.

You guys are doing the same thing. Your lawsuit will not change anything, even if you win (which would be a travesty of justice). Rather than ranting on the internet why don't you go out and recruit more touchy-feely faculty? Why don't you go full time at UConn and work your way up to Dean? My point is not that suing is wrong (it is), but that it won't solve the problem. Go take a full time job at UConn. That will be a step towards solving the problem. Until the faculty are replaced nothing will change.

If you are already out of school why are you still crying about school? Why can't you move on with your life? I know a general surgeon who is several years out of residency and still can't stop talking about how horrible residency was. Guess what? I don't care! Get over it and move on.

The way to make a change is not with the court. It starts with you. These days people turn to the courts expecting instant "justice" and societal change. In contrast, affecting a real change would require dedication to the cause and time out of your life. You say you want change; what you really want is a quick fix and revenge. Go ahead, Milton, burn the building down.

Well, here I go again asking for my head to be whacked off because I'm a nondental. TX OMS makes some very valid points although I would not be as direct as he. I remember going to a "train the trainer" seminar a few years back. The speaker was a big proponent of setting up mentoring programs as a method to help insure successful training environments. He ended that topic by stating "however, there are two environments in which mentoring programs would be of little use....blue collar construction apprenticeships and medical school."

I think that's the best idea I've heard in this entire thread.

drhobie7 said:
You could try contacting the ACLU. If they can't help you they might be able to refer you to an attorney specializing in education. You could also consult an attorney specializing in civil litigation.

I sympathize with you. Unfortunately, TxOMS is correct that dental school has many characteristics in common with the military. However, there is no justification for this abuse and hazing. Dentistry is not the military. Modeling dental education after military-like intimidation tactics is a poor idea. I doubt the individuals calling the posters whiners have been subjected to substantial emotional abuse in dental school. Otherwise, they would not lack compassion for these students' suffering.

I have no sympathy for faculty who mistreat students. The irony is if the tables were turned the student would have the book thrown at him.

HardWay said:

4. Ttly true!

Change is brought about by thinking outside the box. Sounds like you want UConn to be like the rest of the dental schools. Maybe UConn is onto something by offering to help those who may need some rehab rather than ignoring the issue. Maybe UConn is thinking outside the box, and it's you who is resistant to change. I'm not saying that's necessarily the way it is but think about it.

While I love revenge, I also agree with TxOMS that improvement could be attained by offering to become faculty at a dental school. There are nasty faculty in most dental schools. Becoming a nice, chill faculty at a dental school would be so appreciated by the students. Remember how much you loved the nice faculty? Man, those guys are the greatest. I'm planning on doing it.

One of my favorite examples of revenge is the South Park episode when Cartman buys pubes off Scott Tenorman and then makes him eat his parents. "Oh Scott, let me taste your tears. Oh the tears of unimaginable sadness! So sweet!" Hehehe, I loved it.

scalpel2008 said:
Change is brought about by thinking outside the box. Sounds like you want UConn to be like the rest of the dental schools. Maybe UConn is onto something by offering to help those who may need some rehab rather than ignoring the issue. Maybe UConn is thinking outside the box, and it's you who is resistant to change. I'm not saying that's necessarily the way it is but think about it.

It isn't about thinking outside of the box....I could use that same argument for us and say that we are thinking outside of the box by trying to change a hazing-type of institution. Also, I could use that same argument against the opposition (and ironically against us) and say that thinking outside of the box is what a lot of serial killers and mentally ill people do.

I have no problem getting help for people when they need it. I myself keep my eyes on my students and try to let them know that I am there for them. What I had a problem with was the administration intimidating, manipulating, threatening, and coercing me and my classmates.

Lastly, your attitude might be different if you had had to witness one of your best friends become severely depressed due to severe harrassment by the faculty who simply did not like him. In cases like that, intervention is warranted. However, the initial "intervention"/harrassment is what caused the problem to begin with.

At UConn I noticed that, in general, it was the folks who taught only part time in clinics who were happy and helpful. Those who were there all the time (former students included) largely turned into miserable bastards. I often wondered whether or not so many of them liked their jobs.

And, I do wish you lots of luck in getting that revenge. If I could do it myself I would.

drhobie7 said:
While I love revenge, I also agree with TxOMS that improvement could be attained by offering to become faculty at a dental school. There are nasty faculty in most dental schools. Becoming a nice, chill faculty at a dental school would be so appreciated by the students. Remember how much you loved the nice faculty? Man, those guys are the greatest. I'm planning on doing it.

One of my favorite examples of revenge is the South Park episode when Cartman buys pubes off Scott Tenorman and then makes him eat his parents. "Oh Scott, let me taste your tears. Oh the tears of unimaginable sadness! So sweet!" Hehehe, I loved it.

drhobie7 said:

The book should be thrown at anyone (student or professor) who behaves in this manner.

I've been doing a bit of research and still think that a lawfirm as opposed to an idividual lawyer would be a good idea. We need someone who is well-versed in higher education law, civil rights laws, employment law, disabilities law, workplace bullying laws, and sexual harrassment laws. Yes, I mention sexual harrassment because a couple of people have pm'ed me mentioning sexual harrassment at the school. I specifically remember going to "authorities" in my 2nd yr of ds to report sexual harrassment by a professor. I was told that I needed to "understand" that Dr. (beep) was old-school. Old-school? Old-school should be more conservative and less likely to make comments about my body!

If we could only hang that "old schooler" by his f'in b@lls. Really, I'd love every minute of the suffering.

I remember getting chatty with a faculty member at UConn who herself, when a UConn student, was sexually harrassed by a professor. She told authorities (as did other students who were also being harassed) and NOTHING was done.

Someone mentioned in another thread "thinking outside of the box". How about this then: if you are told of sexual harrassment, as a faculty member you are required to act on that student's report or else risk losing your job. F*ck tenure. Something has to be done.

Me4 said:
The book should be thrown at anyone (student or professor) who behaves in this manner.

I've been doing a bit of research and still think that a lawfirm as opposed to an idividual lawyer would be a good idea. We need someone who is well-versed in higher education law, civil rights laws, employment law, disabilities law, workplace bullying laws, and sexual harrassment laws. Yes, I mention sexual harrassment because a couple of people have pm'ed me mentioning sexual harrassment at the school. I specifically remember going to "authorities" in my 2nd yr of ds to report sexual harrassment by a professor. I was told that I needed to "understand" that Dr. (beep) was old-school. Old-school? Old-school should be more conservative and less likely to make comments about my body!

Me4 said:

If it's who i think it is, they're retired now and I was a co-author of a paper with this individual when I was a student :rolleyes: The department they were in began with a "p"(before they got a position that had them spending a bunch of time down the hall from the book store/green room) and by virtue of that they'd rather pick up a hand piece than a scalpel, and this individual has authored a very well respected text on removable partial dentures.

My 2nd guess would be someone from the department where they like to order tests and request consults instead of using a handpiece. This person knows more about s. mutans than almost anybody on the planet, brings in HUGE research dollars to UCONN, and hands down wrote me the best reccommendation (and offered to do it for me too!) for my resdiency when I was a student.

Me4 said:
Old-school should be more conservative and less likely to make comments about my body!
Maybe you're hot.

Dr. Jeff.....

Now, of all people, I always liked the s.mutans guy. PLEASE tell me you don't think it was the s.mutans guy.

The prosth person, I don't know, but tell me it wasn't the really old guy who just retired. I also really liked him a lot.

DrJeff said:
If it's who i think it is, they're retired now and I was a co-author of a paper with this individual when I was a student :rolleyes: The department they were in began with a "p"(before they got a position that had them spending a bunch of time down the hall from the book store/green room) and by virtue of that they'd rather pick up a hand piece than a scalpel, and this individual has authored a very well respected text on removable partial dentures.

My 2nd guess would be someone from the department where they like to order tests and request consults instead of using a handpiece. This person knows more about s. mutans than almost anybody on the planet, brings in HUGE research dollars to UCONN, and hands down wrote me the best reccommendation (and offered to do it for me too!) for my resdiency when I was a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.