September PCAT 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vic89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for people who are taking the PCAT in September :)

How's everyone's studying going? I realized it's only a month away... and I haven't even started studying :scared:. I just bought all three Pearson's practice tests today. I'm taking Test 2 at the moment so I know what I need to focus on the most.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!
congrats to everyone who has taken the PCAT either yesterday or today and good luck to everyone taking it in a few weeks! I took mine today for the second time and let me tell you. Such an improvement!! Taking twice really does get rid of a lot of jitters. I think I did so bad on the first one because I was making myself sick from being so nervous.

First PCAT taken in July 2013: I only used Kaplan stuff to study, and I bought one of the Pearson practice tests, the 4th one. My scores:
Verbal: 40
Bio: 40
Reading Comp: 38
Quantitative: 61
Chemistry: 91
Composite: 57

I was super upset by these scores and signed up for my second test immediately. I didn't have much time to study things other them bio because I was not concerned with chemistry and since I am back in college. I only studied bio from Dr. Collins for the second test. Didn't study anything else.

Second PCAT taken TODAY!: I used only Dr. Collins; it was so expensive but so worth it.
Verbal: 47
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 69
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 82

Reading and verbal are not as good as I want them to be but all the schools I have talked to, do not really care about those as much as biology, chemistry and math. and My composite is still considered competitive! :D

Hi everyone. I need advice please as I just took PCAT for the first time, and here is my preliminary scores:

Verbal: 387 - 25
Biology: 390 - 24
Reading comp: 369 - 8
Quantitative: 405 - 58
Chem: 412 - 68
Composite: 393 - 29

I don't think that a good score! Should I retake it? Please advise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I need advice please as I just took PCAT for the first time, and here is my preliminary scores:

Yes retake, were you planning on applying this fall? What did you use to study with?

So is the Dr. Collins Bio useless for the pcat? Im getting a lot of people saying "yeah It's really really great" or no it's totally useless.

So is the Dr. Collins Bio useless for the pcat? Im getting a lot of people saying "yeah It's really really great" or no it's totally useless.

Use it as a way of testing your chem bio and quant skills, it's kinda poor for RC and verbal, though a few of the verbal questions I saw in Collins before...

I thought Dr. Collins was great. I used it for the PCAT that I took yesterday. My first PCAT I only used Kaplan stuff and scored in the 57th percentile for my composite score. This time was the 82nd percentile!
Dr. Collins helped so much. And, some of the questions from the Dr. Collins practice tests were on my actual PCAT.

I took Gen. Bio. 1, 2 and Microbiology for Bio/natural science majors all within 6-month span. Getting around 5-10 problems wrong on Dr. Collins practice Bio tests.

Hi. May I ask you if you still remember the second time you took the PCAT, was that the same as the first one or they changed? Thanks

Hey everyone!
congrats to everyone who has taken the PCAT either yesterday or today and good luck to everyone taking it in a few weeks! I took mine today for the second time and let me tell you. Such an improvement!! Taking twice really does get rid of a lot of jitters. I think I did so bad on the first one because I was making myself sick from being so nervous.

First PCAT taken in July 2013: I only used Kaplan stuff to study, and I bought one of the Pearson practice tests, the 4th one. My scores:
Verbal: 40
Bio: 40
Reading Comp: 38
Quantitative: 61
Chemistry: 91
Composite: 57

I was super upset by these scores and signed up for my second test immediately. I didn't have much time to study things other them bio because I was not concerned with chemistry and since I am back in college. I only studied bio from Dr. Collins for the second test. Didn't study anything else.

Second PCAT taken TODAY!: I used only Dr. Collins; it was so expensive but so worth it.
Verbal: 47
Bio: 84
Reading Comp: 69
Quantitative: 85
Chemistry: 88
Composite: 82

Reading and verbal are not as good as I want them to be but all the schools I have talked to, do not really care about those as much as biology, chemistry and math. and My composite is still considered competitive! :D

Does anybody know that if the test is the same if retake or they change every single time?

Last edited:
I didn't actually study much, that's why!! But I guess I'm going to purchase Dr. Collins' stuff to study now so I can retake it in Oct/Nov! Do you know anything besides stuff from Dr. Collins that you would recommend? Thanks

Yes retake, were you planning on applying this fall? What did you use to study with?

I didn't actually study much, that's why!! But I guess I'm going to purchase Dr. Collins' stuff to study now so I can retake it in Oct/Nov! Do you know anything besides stuff from Dr. Collins that you would recommend? Thanks

I like the Princeton review book, it's like the Kaplan book, just cheaper and I thought it was really helpful with strategies and extra details on topics

It changes, everyone even at the same time as your testing have different forms of the test. For example, some people get a lot of similar questions to the dr.collins verbal but other people haven't seen any. Study concepts, don't try to memorize answers, it'll hurt you in the actual testing! Good luck in Oct/Nov

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. May I ask you if you still remember the second time you took the PCAT, was that the same as the first one or they changed? Thanks

Well I mean the second time I took the PCAT was about 2 days ago haha and the first time was only 2 months ago.
They were not the same test. Wouldn't that be nice though?
However, there was a few questions from the verbal ability section that I think were the same. And one of my reading passages was identical. Of course it was a reading passage that I hated so I probably picked the same answers I did the first time, but at least it took me less time to read it since I had already read it before.

:scared::)
coud any body help me. i just want to know that in pcat the essay writing is also computer based or they could provide pen paper? my typing is nt so good?

:scared::)
coud any body help me. i just want to know that in pcat the essay writing is also computer based or they could provide pen paper? my typing is nt so good?
Yes, the writings are also computer based. You will have 2 essays. These are the orders :
Essay #1 - Verbal - Bio - Chem - break - Essay #2 - Reading - Math.

Hi everyone,

I am taking my PCAT on 09/16 and I was wondering if someone could tell me how similar the test looks (visually) compared to the three online Pearson practice tests (as far as being able to toggle back and forth between questions that you have or haven't answered, etc). The practice test window makes you go to the "Go to review" page in order to see which questions you passed by and I'm wondering how user-friendly the real test is for being able to quickly go back to specific questions without having to search for them and/or click through in order. Just wanna know what to expect!

Thanks so much :)

Hi everyone,

I am taking my PCAT on 09/16 and I was wondering if someone could tell me how similar the test looks (visually) compared to the three online Pearson practice tests (as far as being able to toggle back and forth between questions that you have or haven't answered, etc). The practice test window makes you go to the "Go to review" page in order to see which questions you passed by and I'm wondering how user-friendly the real test is for being able to quickly go back to specific questions without having to search for them and/or click through in order. Just wanna know what to expect!

Thanks so much :)

It is even better than the pearson's practice tests. No lag, better indication (red marks for haven't complete and haven't seen the problem) something like that.

I took the sept 3rd.
Verbal -63
Reading comp -49
Bio-95
Chem-91
Quant-85
Composite -87

I ran out of time on pretty much every section. Kind of in a tough situation as to whether or not to retake to increase verbal and reading sections bc I bombed those. I used dr Collins to study. Basically finished all the practice sections except verbal and reading that dr Collins included... Good luck everyone

I took the sept 3rd.
Verbal -63
Reading comp -49
Bio-95
Chem-91
Quant-85
Composite -87

I ran out of time on pretty much every section. Kind of in a tough situation as to whether or not to retake to increase verbal and reading sections bc I bombed those. I used dr Collins to study. Basically finished all the practice sections except verbal and reading that dr Collins included... Good luck everyone

I basically scored the same as you. My composite was 82 but only cause my reading comp and verbal were low and I was 88 on chemistry and 85 on bio and 85 in quant. About the same as yours actually for reading and verbal, but switched.
I don't plan on retaking mine. I'm happy with my score because I did well on the 3 most important sections. A lot of schools do not care as much about the verbal and reading comp. I'd be proud and not put yourself through it again, unless you have an awful GPA and no activities and such.

I took the sept 3rd.
Verbal -63
Reading comp -49
Bio-95
Chem-91
Quant-85
Composite -87

i wouldnt retake it if i were you. people said pharm school dont care about those RC and VA score as much as others and 80+ is a competitive score and 87 is definitely a good one.

for those of you who took the PCAT on Sep. 3rd and 4th, did pearson verbal ability practice exams help in the actual exam?

Thank you guys. My cum gpa is 3.1. I just recently got my pharmtech license and will just be shadowing while waiting for cert so that I can get a letter asap. I will definitely focus on developing a really good PS...

What did you use to study? I'm sorry =( use it as fuel to kick ass for when you retake!! =) wish you the best of luck!!

i wouldnt retake it if i were you. people said pharm school dont care about those RC and VA score as much as others and 80+ is a competitive score and 87 is definitely a good one.
you have a great score!!! anything above 80 is considered competitive!! congrats!! an 87 is on the higher end, you did great!!!! be proud =)

Last edited:
Is there anything about the Plant on the PCAT? It wasn't covered on collins or the PCAT blueprint

No plants....

My exam is tomorrow at 12:00 Wohooo 12 hours to go!!.Today I finished my PT3 sciences, I felt the math was harder than Pt4, bio was definitely easier, and chem the same.

good luck to everyone!

No plants....

My exam is tomorrow at 12:00 Wohooo 12 hours to go!!.Today I finished my PT3 sciences, I felt the math was harder than Pt4, bio was definitely easier, and chem the same.

good luck to everyone!

make sure you take full advantage of that 15 mins of break after chemistry section. dont try to finish all of those in the same time.

make sure you take full advantage of that 15 mins of break after chemistry section. dont try to finish all of those in the same time.

oh yes for sure, I would need to drink my protein shake (2 scopes of Whey supreme) to keep me going till the end, I seriously don't want to get less than 80% in math section, just so that it compensates for my low verbal ability section score (so not ready for the analogy section, even though I did many of them; hope I get lucky and get some that are in Dr Collin, PT's practice exams)

oh yes for sure, i would need to drink my protein shake (2 scopes of whey supreme) to keep me going till the end, i seriously don't want to get less than 80% in math section, just so that it compensates for my low verbal ability section score (so not ready for the analogy section, even though i did many of them; hope i get lucky and get some that are in dr collin, pt's practice exams)
good luck!!!!

oh yes for sure, I would need to drink my protein shake (2 scopes of Whey supreme) to keep me going till the end, I seriously don't want to get less than 80% in math section, just so that it compensates for my low verbal ability section score (so not ready for the analogy section, even though I did many of them; hope I get lucky and get some that are in Dr Collin, PT's practice exams)

lol you should eat something with lots of fats. it will last you longer than those protein shakes

lol you should eat something with lots of fats. it will last you longer than those protein shakes

Probably English Muffin with Hickory Smoked Ham, Egg White and Cheese would do it. multiply that by two, one prior the exam and the 2nd in my break with my protein shake :laugh: I really spend a lot of time preparing my shakes, they are my ultimate source of thinking clearly. Will share the secret ingredient if and only if I score 80% tomorrow.:naughty:

composite 81,

Chem 99
Math 93
Bio92
Verbal 15
RC 6

that 6 sucked ass really, I'm so mad....does anyone know which schools don't look at verbal and RC scores...need help here :(

@bene

Don't be too hard on yourself, you kicked ASS on the 3 most important sections. How did you prepare? I think you should be fine. I know some school have a minimum, but honestly, you rocked the main subject, so I think you should be fine. And your composite still broke an 80, (which is considered competitive) :)

Last edited:
Actually Bene its funny you asked that question, because majority of schools (I've researched quite a few, and all the major ones) look only at composite, Chemistry and Biology. Some schools do also favor a good QA score. BUT if a school does look at verbal and RC, they usually will put a comment in their Pharmcas such as, "All subtests must have a minimum of at least 25" (I used 25 because the last time I checked that was one of the school's requirement) I've also seen a no minmum subtest lower than 50. To be safe, just look at their Pharmcas page, if its not updated yearly just shoot them a call! A lot of people on the forums have personally called the school's admission office and they've said they only look at the overall composite and Chemistry. Otherwise, great score! Just double check to be safe!!

Do I have to memorize the atomic mass # or they will give it as a reference? Thanksss for the response! Appreciated!!!

Do I have to memorize the atomic mass # or they will give it as a reference? Thanksss for the response! Appreciated!!!

The molecular weights will be given. Sometimes it MIGHT not, like for commons elements that "should" be known --> Oxygen (16), Carbon (12), and of course, Hydrogen (1).

Any other element will FOR SURE be given, the elements listed above also might be given, but if the MW is not given, it'll probably be one of the 3.

Hope this makes sense!! LOL

The molecular weights will be given. Sometimes it MIGHT not, like for commons elements that "should" be known --> Oxygen (16), Carbon (12), and of course, Hydrogen (1).

Any other element will FOR SURE be given, the elements listed above also might be given, but if the MW is not given, it'll probably be one of the 3.

Hope this makes sense!! LOL

Thanks a lot!!! yep I know the mass of the above element, and some others. But just afraid for other ones.

anyone feeling anxious that the exam is next week???? or is it just me lol I haven't be able to study as much as I needed to, I prob gonna do bad on this one :(

anyone feeling anxious that the exam is next week???? or is it just me lol I haven't be able to study as much as I needed to, I prob gonna do bad on this one :(

That's the worst thing you can do right now, don't think negatively!!! Just work your butt off until the day of the exam!!! You got this buddy :)

I'm nervous too! But thinking negative will only mess with your nerves even more, you have to go at it like an animal and handle :)

good luck!!!! I feel your pain, mine is wednesday!!

I'm nervous as well, this is my first time going at this whole PCAT business. I write mine on monday :O

Been going through the Collins stuff like a madman, making sure i understand everything. I know being nervous won't get me anywhere, but i am honestly pretty terrified at the quantitative section D:

That's the worst thing you can do right now, don't think negatively!!! Just work your butt off until the day of the exam!!! You got this buddy :)

I'm nervous too! But thinking negative will only mess with your nerves even more, you have to go at it like an animal and handle :)

good luck!!!! I feel your pain, mine is wednesday!!

Thank you for some encouragement :) I took the Bio pearson T2 got 60%-80% but I haven't even touch nor study for the QA section yet :eek:
Mine is on Weds too, we can do it! Best of luck to u! :luck:

I'm nervous as well, this is my first time going at this whole PCAT business. I write mine on monday :O

Been going through the Collins stuff like a madman, making sure i understand everything. I know being nervous won't get me anywhere, but i am honestly pretty terrified at the quantitative section D:

keep us posted! Good Luck :luck:

good luck!!!!!!!!!! def on that same game plan!!! :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thank you for some encouragement :) I took the Bio pearson T2 got 60%-80% but I haven't even touch nor study for the QA section yet :eek:
Mine is on Weds too, we can do it! Best of luck to u! :luck:

THanks!!!! I know, I still have a lot to do with quant as well. :eek::luck::luck::luck::luck:

@bene

Don't be too hard on yourself, you kicked ASS on the 3 most important sections. How did you prepare? I think you should be fine. I know some school have a minimum, but honestly, you rocked the main subject, so I think you should be fine. And your composite still broke an 80, (which is considered competitive) :)

Hi arri,

I used Crack the PCAT by Princeton Review , it's a good source to improve on the biology, chemistry and math section, though it goes into a much detail especially the biology topics (excluding plants). So what I did was skim through each chapter and basically underline or highlight anything that was new to me, again not everything I would underline. For chemistry, I took many chemistry courses so I have a solid background in the topics, I only did Dr.Collins and anything I get wrong I would write the concept of that question on a separate piece of paper and put it in a folder named (REVIEW BEFORE EXAM). i did that for all three sciences.

For Math, I started with 60-70 on my Pt#2 and went up bit by bit. What I did is used Princeton review for all topics but the problem i faced was there weren't enough examples given by the book. So what I did was read about the topic, go on Google and find examples related to the topic. Then the next step was to study and group out questions from both PT2 and PT4, believe me there are about 15-20 questions types that are common in all three exams (and the one I took on Friday the thirteen) I call them freebies. So when you get to the math section all you have to do is to think little harder for the other 20-25 questions. Let me tell you for the probability questions, in my case I skipped couple that appeared new to me and did the once that I seen similar in the PT's. A question that is 3 lines long with a table I would skip that too.

For Biology, mine was easier than PT4 and similar to PT3 maybe little easy. But definitely study all questions and the explanation for each.

It was fun doing all three science sections, I wasn't stressed out or anything. Basically everything made sense to me. I'm thinking to write it again for the hope of getting easy verbal and/or RC section and boast up my score :D

Oh one more thing, if you think you did poorly and decided not to submit your scores make sure you go home and write the words/questions types/concepts for each section. Do it right the way, otherwise you will forget them. I tell you, they will come in handy the next time you do your exam and obviously be gain more confidence.

Good luck to all of ya, really wish you all the best:thumbup:

Hi arri,

I used Crack the PCAT by Princeton Review , it's a good source to improve on the biology, chemistry and math section, though it goes into a much detail especially the biology topics (excluding plants). So what I did was skim through each chapter and basically underline or highlight anything that was new to me, again not everything I would underline. For chemistry, I took many chemistry courses so I have a solid background in the topics, I only did Dr.Collins and anything I get wrong I would write the concept of that question on a separate piece of paper and put it in a folder named (REVIEW BEFORE EXAM). i did that for all three sciences.

For Math, I started with 60-70 on my Pt#2 and went up bit by bit. What I did is used Princeton review for all topics but the problem i faced was there weren't enough examples given by the book. So what I did was read about the topic, go on Google and find examples related to the topic. Then the next step was to study and group out questions from both PT2 and PT4, believe me there are about 15-20 questions types that are common in all three exams (and the one I took on Friday the thirteen) I call them freebies. So when you get to the math section all you have to do is to think little harder for the other 20-25 questions. Let me tell you for the probability questions, in my case I skipped couple that appeared new to me and did the once that I seen similar in the PT's. A question that is 3 lines long with a table I would skip that too.

For Biology, mine was easier than PT4 and similar to PT3 maybe little easy. But definitely study all questions and the explanation for each.

It was fun doing all three science sections, I wasn't stressed out or anything. Basically everything made sense to me. I'm thinking to write it again for the hope of getting easy verbal and/or RC section and boast up my score :D

Oh one more thing, if you think you did poorly and decided not to submit your scores make sure you go home and write the words/questions types/concepts for each section. Do it right the way, otherwise you will forget them. I tell you, they will come in handy the next time you do your exam and obviously be gain more confidence.

Good luck to all of ya, really wish you all the best:thumbup:

Thank you so much!!!! Your study tips will definitely help out these next few days before my exam (as I'm sure this will help out others as well). Honestly, don't worry about the other 2 sections, you rocked the 3 most important ones!! Most schools will have you write an essay during the time of the interview and your essay writing ability will come into play then!!! Don't stress about taking the exam again UNLESS the school you want to go to suggests otherwise (just give them a call). Admissions is usually super helpful and friendly, (believe me, I've called different schools numerous amount of times) LOL

Once again, congrats on the score!!! Hopefully I can rock the sciences the way you did :) Good luck with the application process!!!

Less than 24 hours for the PCAT! Who else chose Monday 8 am? Haha
This is my first retake, took it in July and did horrible in quant, and looking to improve my 69s in bio and chem to at least 80. I think test anxiety got the best of me last time.
For those of you who are taking it in the morning, are you going to get up really early and review before going? I'm unsure on if I'm going to try to do a lot of review in the morning, over just line exceptions to rules in chem mainly.

Anyway good luck to all the test takers this week! Let's dominate it and get ready for interviews!

EDIT:
Also this is a joke- but will watching breaking bad tonight count as chem review? Haha (I do like the show but will probably just watch it Monday)