September PCAT 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vic89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for people who are taking the PCAT in September :)

How's everyone's studying going? I realized it's only a month away... and I haven't even started studying :scared:. I just bought all three Pearson's practice tests today. I'm taking Test 2 at the moment so I know what I need to focus on the most.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello im also taking the test in september. I'm quite nervous for the exam even though ive been reading on the forum people have been doing quite well...I am nervous because I forget so much of the information I learned and I've been out of school for a while so it's a bit stressful.

Yeah taking those pearson tests are a good indication of where to start studying how much. I would also recommend buying the kaplan book along with the collins.

I'm mainly using Dr. Collins!!! I'm worried about the verbal section though =( I also bought the Pearson exams. Lets hope we all do well!!! =D

I'm not sure what is the best strategy on using the Dr. Collins material though. Any tips anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm taking it in September and I have moments where I just get nervous and a little nauseous. I've been study probably since July but little bits at a time. Now I'm in full 3-4 hours a day, Dr. Collins (2012) practice section almost every day now. If I'm not doing a practice section then I'm reviewing one I did or concepts I did bad on. I'll probably get the 2013 Collins updates. I also have the Kaplan book for Bio only. I also plan on doing the pearson tests the next couple of sundays and maybe save the last one T4 till September a week before I take it.

I forgot a lot of the information and my weakest areas are in math and chemistry which isn't good. Bio I did ok and I did pretty well in both the verbal and reading.

Does anyone know how to judge a score on a Collins practice test? For example in chem I improved 12 points on my 2nd practice section and scored a 39/50. Math was similar I improved 10-11 points and scored 38 or 39 out of 52. In bio I've gotten low 40's and reading and verbal mid to high 40's. But I'm not sure how to judge that.

I guess my goal is to be scoring in the mid to high 40's for verbal, reading, and bio and for math and chem to get low 40's using the Collins practice tests. Is that any good or should I be shooting for a lot better?

I'll be taking it in September as well. I've been studying since early June but that probably wasn't the best idea, kind of burnt out now. I've taken the #2 and #4 Pearson Practice Tests already. I took the fourth one because I heard from others that it was the hardest and I didn't want to save it for last and destroy my confidence, plus it'll show what I need to study for. I'm going to take Test #3 a few days before the exam.This last month will be for me to polish up the material and to somewhat relax. I'm aiming for at least a 85+%

I've been using Dr. Collins material and the Kaplan book for Biology.

I'll be taking it in September as well. I've been studying since early June but that probably wasn't the best idea, kind of burnt out now. I've taken the #2 and #4 Pearson Practice Tests already. I took the fourth one because I heard from others that it was the hardest and I didn't want to save it for last and destroy my confidence, plus it'll show what I need to study for. I'm going to take Test #3 a few days before the exam.This last month will be for me to polish up the material and to somewhat relax. I'm aiming for at least a 85+%

I've been using Dr. Collins material and the Kaplan book for Biology.

Hey sphuan can I ask what scores are you aiming for in your practice collins tests? Or are you just going by the Pearson tests to judge where you are?

Hey sphuan can I ask what scores are you aiming for in your practice collins tests? Or are you just going by the Pearson tests to judge where you are?

I just try to get at least 40 or higher in half of the allotted time on the collins tests. It's so I can make sure I have plenty of time to review and double check on the real thing. I mostly use the collins tests for timing and the pearson tests to judge where I am, though they have a pretty large range.

How are you planning to study for the reading comp and verbal portion? Those are my lowest scores.

I writing the PCAT on September 16th....I wrote my first Pearson practice exam (PT2) back in June and scored 60-80, I been studying since then for my next Peasron practice exam (PT4-good point sphuan2) probably sometime in the next two weeks. so far my verbal and RC are my weakest :(

I just try to get at least 40 or higher in half of the allotted time on the collins tests. It's so I can make sure I have plenty of time to review and double check on the real thing. I mostly use the collins tests for timing and the pearson tests to judge where I am, though they have a pretty large range.

How are you planning to study for the reading comp and verbal portion? Those are my lowest scores.

Reading comp and verbal is hard to study for especially with what I've read of people's experiences on here. With Reading Comp I would just practice practice practice reading and doing the questions. I think of the 2 reading is probably the thing you can really improve in because its just about practice and developing a strategy of reading the questions first or reading the passage first then do the questions etc. My background is polisci so the reading part has been coming very easy to me....which is making me nervous because they can't be that easy on the test. I take my first Pearson this weekend T2 so that'll show where I am. Good point on NOT taking T4 last. I'll probably do T3 last.

Verbal is harder to prepare for because its impossible to memorize a ton of words for the test. I read on here that some people memorized the GRE's top 300 words and none of them were on the test. So its a crapshoot. You either know it or you don't. I would look around for different strategies to use because sometimes the word analogies are common sense or at least follow a logical pattern. If you know 2 of the words and the words in the answers you might figure it out. I'm planning on just focusing on the sentence completion part and make sure I get 100% right on that section cuz I know I'm gonna miss some analogies. That way it won't hurt that much. Sentence completion though can be tricky. On my last one I was pissed cuz I missed a couple sentence completion questions because I read it too quickly and missed a key word.

My focus has to be on bio chem and quant. If I can do ok in those or at least 2 of the 3 I'll feel better. I just bombed my last bio practice test #3 in Collins so I'm not feeling good about that. I gotta work on my timing and accuracy in quant and chem cuz I'm finishing with a couple or so minutes to spare. Everything else I'm finishing with 10 or more to spare.

I'm taking it in September as well. I had a question, are you guys going to study Spectroscopy? Kaplan has a chapter on it but Princeton Review doesn't so I'm kind of confused.

Reading comp and verbal is hard to study for especially with what I've read of people's experiences on here. With Reading Comp I would just practice practice practice reading and doing the questions. I think of the 2 reading is probably the thing you can really improve in because its just about practice and developing a strategy of reading the questions first or reading the passage first then do the questions etc. My background is polisci so the reading part has been coming very easy to me....which is making me nervous because they can't be that easy on the test. I take my first Pearson this weekend T2 so that'll show where I am. Good point on NOT taking T4 last. I'll probably do T3 last.

Verbal is harder to prepare for because its impossible to memorize a ton of words for the test. I read on here that some people memorized the GRE's top 300 words and none of them were on the test. So its a crapshoot. You either know it or you don't. I would look around for different strategies to use because sometimes the word analogies are common sense or at least follow a logical pattern. If you know 2 of the words and the words in the answers you might figure it out. I'm planning on just focusing on the sentence completion part and make sure I get 100% right on that section cuz I know I'm gonna miss some analogies. That way it won't hurt that much. Sentence completion though can be tricky. On my last one I was pissed cuz I missed a couple sentence completion questions because I read it too quickly and missed a key word.

My focus has to be on bio chem and quant. If I can do ok in those or at least 2 of the 3 I'll feel better. I just bombed my last bio practice test #3 in Collins so I'm not feeling good about that. I gotta work on my timing and accuracy in quant and chem cuz I'm finishing with a couple or so minutes to spare. Everything else I'm finishing with 10 or more to spare.

Yeah I'm only going to memorize the Collin's words and also try to remember a good amount of common GRE words. I've also bookmarked a Word of the Day website just to get a few more, random words in my vocab.

I'm taking it in September as well. I had a question, are you guys going to study Spectroscopy? Kaplan has a chapter on it but Princeton Review doesn't so I'm kind of confused.

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing any problems on spectroscopy, but it wouldn't hurt to know it!

how important is having pharmacy technician job experience toward resume?
i have an overall of 3.78 GPA and 66% of my 1st PCAT and i am focusing on my 2nd PCAT now and getting ready for school but a lot of people told me i should get a pharmacy technician job to boost up my chance on getting accepted? is it true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm only going to memorize the Collin's words and also try to remember a good amount of common GRE words. I've also bookmarked a Word of the Day website just to get a few more, random words in my vocab.

LOL yeah on my phone I have the dictionary.com app that gives me a word of the day. Of course I'm not gonna remember all of them but any little bit that helps.

PT4
Composite score: 58-78
Got destroyed by the verbal ability section and RC don't want to even post what I got.:mad:

Hi guys! I think I might retake the exam in September.. Thing is, I used the 3 pearson tests for the July one, and I'm unsure of how to track my progress/practice for this September one. Should I just repurchase them or..?

A thread for people who are taking the PCAT in September :)

How's everyone's studying going? I realized it's only a month away... and I haven't even started studying :scared:. I just bought all three Pearson's practice tests today. I'm taking Test 2 at the moment so I know what I need to focus on the most.

I took mine also in july using only Dr collins and had 96 percentile. i have my 2013 guide and want to sell it.. I am super excited scoring a higer composite on my PCAT (Chemistry was super easy for me because of Dr collins. Bio and Quantative wasnt an issue. my verbal was very good, reading was good too, had a perfect score.. Dr collins 2013 guide is perfect for official exams. you will never regret. inbox me if u re interesed in getting mine, [email protected]

PT4
Composite score: 58-78
Got destroyed by the verbal ability section and RC don't want to even post what I got.:mad:

Yeah PT4's verbal was super random in my opinion, and I also did bad in RC. When I was taking it, it really didn't seem that hard but obviously it was lol. I haven't gotten a chance to review my answers yet though.

Hi guys! I think I might retake the exam in September.. Thing is, I used the 3 pearson tests for the July one, and I'm unsure of how to track my progress/practice for this September one. Should I just repurchase them or..?

Hmm I don't think repurchasing them is a good idea. If you took them recently (past couple of months) and have reviewed them at least once, I'd think you would remember most of the questions and it wouldn't be worth it to pay more money for it. In my opinion, the Pearson Tests are really good for showing what type of questions will appear on the PCAT. So if you've taken all three and the actual exam in July, then I suggest that you make a list of the topics that you struggled with in those four exams, and really focus on those.

Also which 3 tests did you purchase? If you took 2-4, you can purchase the official Pearson study guide (which has test 1 questions included but in pdf form) and compare those scores to one of the actual online practice tests to see where you are.

If I remember correctly, I don't think that the exams are any different for the entire year of the testing cycle. I would contact Pearson, if possible, to confirm because it would stink to repurchase the same items that you have already used previously.

Is anyone else freaking out? It just hit me my PCAT is one month and 5 days away. I've been studying Dr.Collins and the 3 Pearson Practice Test. I think I'm going to by the 4th since everyone says the real PCAT is more compatible. Anyone who has taken the PCAT recently this year and used the Dr.Collins, do you think the chemistry practice is enough?

I can't believe my biology score went down from the first time I took a practice exam, I missed 4 question general biology, 4 questions anatomy and physiology, and 4 micro. I think I been neglecting biology after I scored high on my PT2, haha I planned 2 months ago after my first practice exam to focus on math and yes I got some results but guess what, Bio went down. About RC, ugh I need to go over my answers I really thought the passages were easy to read, I got 24/40 and still put me in the range of 1-20.

Is anyone else freaking out? It just hit me my PCAT is one month and 5 days away. I've been studying Dr.Collins and the 3 Pearson Practice Test. I think I'm going to by the 4th since everyone says the real PCAT is more compatible. Anyone who has taken the PCAT recently this year and used the Dr.Collins, do you think the chemistry practice is enough?

Dude I have moments when I get nauseous thinking about it but mostly cuz I don't think I'm ready yet. I hate my practice scores so far but have about half of the practice tests to go so I'm trying to buckle down. I feel like I know most of the material but make stupid mistakes cuz I read it too quick or whatever.

Anyway 42 days left: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

I don't think I am either. I'm up all not thinking about it and stuff. Yeah after doing a few practice tests I'm getting a feel of what type of questions and definitely watching time now on Chemistry. I was having the same problem because I keep rushing so I can get all the questions in, just read carefully and know what they are asking for. I have 36 days!!!!!!

Oh man are you kidding sleep is out of the equation these days. This past week the only reason I slept was because my body couldn't take anymore. Even still I'll wake up like at 4 in the morning or 3 in the morning just thinking about the exam. I realized also that I was dreaming about the material lol.

This past weekend I went over all the questions I got wrong in bio for example and I would say 75% of them I knew the answer but just read it wrong or applied it wrong or wasn't clear on a detail of the concept. The other 25% I just didn't know. So I'm getting a feel for it and trying to learn to read the question correctly and in full and don't rush through it. I'm also learning to skip a question if I don't know it right away and get back to it later.

I take my first pearson this weekend. I've already put it off twice cuz I didn't feel I was ready. This week I'm gonna continue to do a practice test for each section but mostly go over the material for the Saturday Pearson. I'm doing T2, T4 then T3 on the next few weekends cuz I don't want the hardest exam right before.

But yeah I totally don't feel ready for this thing. I want it to be over but in a way I don't cuz I feel like I need another year to be REALLY ready lol

Are you doing Collins? Kaplan? Pearson?

Don't stress out too much, it'll just hurt you in the end. I took 12 credits this summer so my studying has been all over the place. Finally just finished summer so I'm purely focusing on PCAT studying. I do about 4-5 hours a day then take off Sundays so I can rest my brain. I'm using Dr.Collins and Pearson. I've taken T1 and T2. T4 wasn't out when i purchased the 3 so I'm buying it this week taking it then waiting to take T3 after. I feel the same way, take the hardest first then feel better about T3. I scored pretty well on the bio, verbal and rc but haven't spent much time on qa. So far the past week I've only been studying chemistry and all the concepts I've missed. I'm half way through the Dr.Collins chem practice test and finished all of biology. Definitely going for high 90s there. Just remember to breath, don't overload yourself because chances are you won't retain that information. Space out and practice continually but gradually.

Good luck on your pearson tests. They are definitely good indicators of where you're out! Keep up the good work, hopefully it'll pay off in the end (sept ahhhh!!!)

PM me if you have any questions!

Dang I've only got 21 days until my exam :scared:

nyc,
I think if you feel the Collin's tests aren't too hard and you also remember some material from your pre-pharm classes, then the practice tests shouldn't be too bad!

I just hope the real thing won't stray too far from them.

Dang I've only got 21 days until my exam :scared:

nyc,
I think if you feel the Collin's tests aren't too hard and you also remember some material from your pre-pharm classes, then the practice tests shouldn't be too bad!

I just hope the real thing won't stray too far from them.

My test was on September 4...but I changed it to September 20...I'm doing so horrible in reading comprehension I got scared.

Moved my exam to Sep 3rd, Tuesday. I figured waiting too long will burn off my science knowledge, plus 13 days won't do any improvement in my RC or verbal part. .

Does anyone know if there is such thing as avoiding the exam? if not and let say you score low and decided to retake it, when can you register for the next upcoming date (i.e. Oct), you have to wait 6 weeks, or can u do it once you get your preliminaries scores?

Moved my exam to Sep 3rd, Tuesday. I figured waiting too long will burn off my science knowledge, plus 13 days won't do any improvement in my RC or verbal part. .

Does anyone know if there is such thing as avoiding the exam? if not and let say you score low and decided to retake it, when can you register for the next upcoming date (i.e. Oct), you have to wait 6 weeks, or can u do it once you get your preliminaries scores?

i think you can schedule for another exam whenever. but i believe there is a cut off day for the registration of the tests

how is everyone studying for the math section? for the unit conversions just know the basic units?

The math section... was identical to the practice test with the types of questions. (Let me get 99). Seriously, if you don't understand the math, learn the tricks around the math. There are reoccuring questions on the practice and on the actual exam.. THEY ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL.

I simply listed the types of questions I saw, and memorized how to solve all of them. (Honestly.. theres maybe like 15-20 types.. its not hard at all, some are even just 1 steppers).

The math section... was identical to the practice test with the types of questions. (Let me get 99). Seriously, if you don't understand the math, learn the tricks around the math. There are reoccuring questions on the practice and on the actual exam.. THEY ARE ALMOST IDENTICAL.

I simply listed the types of questions I saw, and memorized how to solve all of them. (Honestly.. theres maybe like 15-20 types.. its not hard at all, some are even just 1 steppers).

You mean the pearson practice tests? And which ones? thanks!

Thank you, yes I heard the pearson practice is pretty similar to the real test but the math was scaring me the time limit is pretty tough.

Thank you, yes I heard the pearson practice is pretty similar to the real test but the math was scaring me the time limit is pretty tough.

40 minutes go by like no other on the quantitative section and especially since it is one of the later sections it is somewhat difficult to fully concentrate.

Hey Guys! I'm taking my PCAT on September 3 and I'm very nervous about it.... Has anyone bought the Pearson study guide and studied from it? Has it helped? Thanks!

Hey Guys! I'm taking my PCAT on September 3 and I'm very nervous about it.... Has anyone bought the Pearson study guide and studied from it? Has it helped? Thanks!

I am taking on the 4th. I'm feeling anxious. Keep thinking I would do badly on the score :confused:

Sighs I'm feeling the same way. It's haunting my dreams (when I finally fall to sleep that is). It's tough I'm getting anxiety cause of the stress that I'm not prepared. Just have to breathe and hope that all the studying was worth it and that you've retained the knowledge. For me even though I stress all I can say to myself and others is, you can only prepare yourself so much for the exam, but don't kill your mental state of mind because that's what's going to mess you up during testing. Good luck on your PCAT!

All of them... Literally like same questions different numbers. (But isn't math always like this...?) there's definitely no attempts to trick or anything lol...

Sighs I'm feeling the same way. It's haunting my dreams (when I finally fall to sleep that is). It's tough I'm getting anxiety cause of the stress that I'm not prepared. Just have to breathe and hope that all the studying was worth it and that you've retained the knowledge. For me even though I stress all I can say to myself and others is, you can only prepare yourself so much for the exam, but don't kill your mental state of mind because that's what's going to mess you up during testing. Good luck on your PCAT!

Don't stress... I studied for 4 days cause I'm a procrastinator. I was getting 5-10 wrong on the practice test too (I ignored RC and Verbal) and then I realized I've done all this stuff in my first year courses (some a little later which is even better). Can you imagine how I felt? I was pooping myself at 8am in the morning.

Relax. If you don't want to study, don't.( it won't help anyways)

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well :)

Is there a calculator allow for chemistry section or not? Anyone response would be greatly appreciated!

Did you find useful memorizing the product/quotient/ chain rules for derivatives? I can't remember if they actually list any formulas for you to use.

I'm almost certain they don't provide you with formulas, unless they changed it since 2011. As for the quantitative section they won't give you anything you can't calculate either in your head or with a bit or work on paper.

I'm almost certain they don't provide you with formulas, unless they changed it since 2011. As for the quantitative section they won't give you anything you can't calculate either in your head or with a bit or work on paper.

Yeah, I don't recall any formulas being provided in the July PCAT. All the math-related questions are somewhat easy if you know what you are doing as soon as you read the question.

For the people who took the test and used Collins for chemistry .. do you have any extra tips on what areas to focus or not worry as much about? Much appreciated!