September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

In my prerequisite courses like org.chem or physics - whenever i finished midterm of final - I knew with confidence that i did well and results always confirmed it. Why is that MCAT sometimes gets people to think they bombed section and they end up high scorers and vice versa?

Easy, because you've never even heard of a good chunk of what you're reading or seen the answers to a majority of the questions.

On the other hand, you're a well-oiled machine leading up to your finals. A good amount of critical thinking here and there, but really no surprises.

Last edited:
In my prerequisite courses like org.chem or physics - whenever i finished midterm of final - I knew with confidence that i did well and results always confirmed it. Why is that MCAT sometimes gets people to think they bombed section and they end up high scorers and vice versa?

Since your answers are dependent on the passage info...you'll feel like you've guessed (educated or not) on a lot of them. Regardless of how much you studied, MCAT will present it in terms/scenarios you haven't seen before. You have to use critical thinking to break it down to the basics under strict timed conditions. For most undergrad tests, you can predict what will be on it, and get away with heavy memorization/cramming the night before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who took 9/23 and are unsure of results and/or thinking of possibility to retake in 1/23 - are you guys started studying already for 1/23 or you are waiting for a score release before you start studying? Just curious. I wanted to start, but it's been a month already since 9/23 and I haven't even opened a book yet. Such a wasted time :(

Reactions: 1 users
Those who took 9/23 and are unsure of results and/or thinking of possibility to retake in 1/23 - are you guys started studying already for 1/23 or you are waiting for a score release before you start studying? Just curious. I wanted to start, but it's been a month already since 9/23 and I haven't even opened a book yet. Such a wasted time :(

I'm prepared for the worst and also signed up to re-take on 1/22. However, I've also taken the past month off of studying and I think it's done wonders for my mental state. We need a break once in a while to regroup and get ready to tackle this test again if necessary. Imagine how miserable you'd be right now if you were both nervous about your score AND had also spent the last month studying.

Reactions: 1 user
AAMC possibly makes you wait for over a month to get you to freak out and spend more money on taking the test again.

I tried to be productive this week.
Didn't work.
I literally can't focus on anything until i get my scores back. Gonna be binge-watching everything on Netflix until the 27th.

Reactions: 4 users
9/23 takers,

For Tuesday, where will the score be posted and around what time?
Log in to the AAMC website with your account, then find the tab "Get my scores" or something like that. It'll be in there. The time they release the scores always seems to vary, but I'd guess they'd be up by 3pm ET

I tried to be productive this week.
Didn't work.
I literally can't focus on anything until i get my scores back. Gonna be binge-watching everything on Netflix until the 27th.
I just watched a movie . The last two times my score were terrible, sad it might happen again. :/ how is everyone else coping. Yea I'm not going in on Tuesday

Members don't see this ad :)
nerves are really kicking in... been trying to stay off SDN as much as possible this past month. the closer it gets to release day the worse I think I did lol

Having a full-time job really made the month go by REALLY fast. Plus,on Tuesday, my entire day is booked with work stuff so I know that day is going to go by quickly. Hopefully, I don't get too anxious and mess up at work! Definitely going to stay away from SDN/the AAMC website on Tuesday until I'm back home so I don't freak in public haha

I haven't decided if I'm going to check my score first or go straight to the forum to lay eyes on all the 515+'s

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't decided if I'm going to check my score first or go straight to the forum to lay eyes on all the 515+'s
I can't decide if I'm going to check or just wait for emails from medical schools. Rejection = Probably not so great score...

AAMC should provide option to check 1 digit of score (out of 3) at a time. Let's say first digit is 5, then one can take a break and prepare to check second digit ans then third. :) Otherwise it's too much to look at your score - BAM - and then you can't feel your legs, room spins around you and suddenly floor raises and hits your head. :)
Whatever happens - I hope for strength to stay on track and don't get too emotional.

Reactions: 7 users
I think the Sept 23rd wait is the longest. Come onnnn so that I can plan the rest of my damn year (graduated in June here).

Guys I got a 527 with a breakdown of 132/131/132/132. I am aiming for Canadian schools so I think the verbal might be a bit low? Should I retake?

Reactions: 10 users
I haven't felt super anxious about my score until now. The first few days after the test I was rethinking questions and feeling kinda bad and worried but then my term started and I'm taking p chem so that takes up a lot of time. My job does too and I had a lot of extra responsibilities due to personnel changes.

So that took my mind off things. I would keep a count of how many days left but not really think about my score, no dreams about it, just the hope of not having to retake.

Today I feel really anxious. Not so much specifically thinking about certain scores just that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Reactions: 3 users
What a great day to be alive right now ::wearing a BP cuff massaging his temple, on the verge of a stress-induced cathartic meltdown handling a prior authorization with a foreign dude who spelled cataract "katisract").

Try patients asking for "Triamcologne", "testrone", and "I don't know what it's for. Its the tiny red pill. You should know what I need refilled!" They are the best!

Reactions: 3 users
It's been a very long month for me. Unfortunately, I was never able to stop thinking about it even for the slightest moment. I hope everything works out for everyone on this thread and everyone else who took the September 23 exam!

have a date today and even though he told me last minute it's okay cause he works a lot in pharm and because I might be in a ****ty mood and not want to go out after I see my score

Sooooo I need advice! I have an exam on Wednesday and am so nervous to look at my score. I already did poorly the first time, I got a 497. Now, I'm nervous I will have to retake.

Should I open the score after my test on Wednesday just to avoid having seen a low score mess up my mental state before the test?

Not sure why I'm soooo nervous :/

This is me tomorrow trying to click on mcat score link page while encouraging myself by singing Happy birthday Rosie!

Sooooo I need advice! I have an exam on Wednesday and am so nervous to look at my score. I already did poorly the first time, I got a 497. Now, I'm nervous I will have to retake.

Should I open the score after my test on Wednesday just to avoid having seen a low score mess up my mental state before the test?

Not sure why I'm soooo nervous :/

I would check AFTER my exam.

Try patients asking for "Triamcologne", "testrone", and "I don't know what it's for. Its the tiny red pill. You should know what I need refilled!" They are the best!

Reminds me of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia where Mac keeps referring to diabetes as "diabitis"
Dennis: "Dude, stop saying "diabitis!" You sound like an ass"

Does anyone remember the format the people with earlier MCAT dates on this forum were using to post their scores?

I think it was something like:

AAMC FL:

Actual:

Even though it doesn't really matter anymore, I think it'd be pretty cool to see how predictive the AAMC FL was for us as well.

Does anyone remember the format the people with earlier MCAT dates on this forum were using to post their scores?

I think it was something like:

AAMC FL:

Actual:

Even though it doesn't really matter anymore, I think it'd be pretty cool to see how predictive the AAMC FL was for us as well.

I am inclined to say that anxiety levels at testing are a strong determinant of the score as well. I got thrown for a loop with the delay in starting the test and felt I did poorly on the first half. I then regrouped over the lunch break and feel that I annihilated the last two sections.

I am inclined to say that anxiety levels at testing are a strong determinant of the score as well. I got thrown for a loop with the delay in starting the test and felt I did poorly on the first half. I then regrouped over the lunch break and feel that I annihilated the last two sections.

That's exactly how I felt and that was without any type of delay. I'm pretty sure we had the same test so I don't think performance anxiety will be the reason why you did well/poorly unless you're telling me you left questions blank or guessed on a boatload of them. The first half was hard straight up. I think you'd agree it went something like: C/P > CARS >> Bio > P/S .

I'm inclined to think that the curve on Bio and P/S is going to be brutal considering how easy I thought it was. On the other hand, C/P was like something cast out of the pits of hell. Our score will probably reflect a fairly generous point spread or "curve" for such a f****ed section.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I felt and that was without any type of delay. I'm pretty sure we had the same test so I don't think performance anxiety will be the reason why you did well/poorly unless you're telling me you left questions blank or guessed on a boatload of them. The first half was hard straight up. I think you'd agree it went something like: C/P > CARS >> Bio > P/S .

I'm inclined to think that the curve on Bio and P/S is going to be brutal considering how easy I thought it was. On the other hand, C/P was like something cast out of the pits of hell. Our score will probably reflect a fairly generous point spread or "curve" for such a sinister section.

Agree completely with this.

I'm worried about CARS too only b/c of what happened with the last test, with a stream of ppl scoring well below their prediction in that section. I really don't want to retake and I esp don't want to retake b/c of CARS. I honestly don't know how to even improve. I did well on QPacka, OG and FL but so did a lot of ppl from last time who ended up not doing so hot in that section. It's made me paranoid to see all those discrepancies!

I'm inclined to think that the curve on Bio and P/S is going to be brutal considering how easy I thought it was. On the other hand, C/P was like something cast out of the pits of hell. Our score will probably reflect a fairly generous point spread or "curve" for such a f****ed section.
It better! I have a very strong chemistry background (esp. for a bio major ) and I agree with your delineation of difficulty.