September 2015 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAF16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Registration for the September MCAT opens up soon, so I thought I would make the thread.
Who else will be taking the test in September?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think they missed a few easy questions yet still got a great score ?

I have to wait until the 27 but if it doesn't go well again and again I will have to wait until April
I can think of 3 or 4 questions off the top of my head I know I missed but should have gotten right. 2 came from C/P, and I still got a 129 in that section

Anyone think they missed a few easy questions yet still got a great score ?

I left the test center and remembered that I accidentally messed up the function of cholecystokinin in the Bio section and my friend made the sarcastic joking remark, "hahahahaha now you're going to get a 131 on that section"

I ended up with 131 on that section.

------
To answer your initial concerns, I know I missed quite a few questions in P/S because I did not study the material as thoroughly (and never took a behavioral science class.) I think I straight up guessed on 2-3 questions and ended up with a 129 if this helps.

3,000th post in this thread!!! :woot: I knew some day I'd make a meaningful contribution to SDN ;)
Hehe sorry, carry on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, those of you who did well on Bio section what prep material were you using and what is most important aspect to focus for Bio?

I relied on the TPR bio book, which I thought was very well written. A lot of the stuff I hadn't covered in any classes (all of the organ system stuff, plus a lot of the cell bio stuff) I was able to pick up from just from reading the book. Doing passages (and reviewing them effectively) is definitely important. I also think it's important to always do at least 2-3 passages consecutively and fight the urge to check your score after each one. The most helpful thing I did (in general, not just for bio) during my last ~2 weeks before the exam, was to quickly go through my TPR book again and make sort of "condensed" notes on all of the stuff I was still struggling with. Then this gave me something that I could efficiently study in the few days before my exam, which really kept the stuff that was hard to me fresh in my mind. (I got 132 on bio)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Thought I'd add my two cents. I took the exam 4/18 and bombed it. I got my 9/11 scores back today, and well, I'll just give you the stats:

April
C/P: 119 (3)
CARS: 126 (70)
B/B: 123 (32)
P/S: 124 (43)
Overall: 492 (25)

Sept

C/P: 126 (67)
CARS: 130 (97)
B/B: 125 (54)
P/S: 130 (97)
Overall: 511 (85)

Some background: I'm a nontraditional. BA in Anthropology, Class of 2012. I've never taken a psych class in my life. Only took the bare minimum prereqs in the sciences so didn't have a lot of exposure to many of those topics. Also, my AAMC FL percents were 53/83/51/68 and the excel predictor placed me at a 504. Needless to say, I'm pretty darn excited for my 511.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone! Thought I'd add my two cents. I took the exam 4/18 and bombed it. I got my 9/11 scores back today, and well, I'll just give you the stats:

April

Sept

Some background: I'm a nontraditional. BA in Anthropology, Class of 2012. I've never taken a psych class in my life. Only took the bare minimum prereqs in the sciences so didn't have a lot of exposure to many of those topics. Needless to say, I'm pretty darn excited for my 511.

WOW congrats, that is an amazing improvement! Way to kill it!

496! Don't know if I should apply to any MD Schools with this score...already accepted to a DO school!
CARS just killed me :bang: everything else looks avg :sorry:
Which DO school did you get accepted if you don't mind me asking and did you apply with a previous MCAT score?

April

Sept

Some background: I'm a nontraditional. BA in Anthropology, Class of 2012. I've never taken a psych class in my life. Only took the bare minimum prereqs in the sciences so didn't have a lot of exposure to many of those topics. Also, my AAMC FL percents were 53/83/51/68 and the excel predictor placed me at a 504. Needless to say, I'm pretty darn excited for my 511.

Grats!!! :)

We are MCAT Twins! What the hell were we doing in verbal.?!?!

April

Sept

Mind sharing how you improved in CARS & psych?

I got a 500 is it good enough for d.o? I have a 3.7 sgpa, 3.1 cgpa
that's about a 25/26 on the old mcat which puts you at what the average D.O. accepted students have. your GPA is also about what most D.O. applicants have. If you have great EC's and LOR's you could apply to both low-tier MD schools and as many DO schools as you could afford.
But to answer your question, yeah, that should be good enough for D.O. schools.

I'm a non-trad with a full-time clinical research gig

Hey! I'm a non-trad in a full-time clinical research gig! I got to start after finishing the MCAT though; I really like it so far. Way to go juggling full-time work with studying! Now that I'm in the job I know I would have had to start months sooner!

side note but does a 515 (35 equivalent) help a low gpa (3.35ish) due to crap first 2 years and then consistent 3.7-3.8 the last 2 years??

I am also hoping that my MCAT helps make up for my gpa. You're in much better shape than me though. Upward trends are always good, and based on stats I think you have a really good shot at some good schools. Go over to WAMC and let them help you make a school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
a 25/26 is good enough for a d.o? I thought they were looking for 27-28+..
It really depends on the rest of your application. While you want to score above the mean for each school you're applying to, there are always outliers -- score wise -- who had stellar ECs or letters, etc. I know of one student at PCOM-GA who had a 20 on the MCAT, but she also had a lot of non-trad experiences and a great GPA.

That said, a 27+ converted to the new scale will put you in a good spot.

I just got a secondary from uc Davis despite the release of my unexpected low mcat score yesterday:(. Would you guys bother completing it?

Btw, I've already mentally prepared myself for a retake. I scored 8 points below my predicted score based off my aamc fl which was devastating BUT I'm pretty sure it was because I did not focus on my exam as I was distracted throughout the entire test. I will take practice tests in busier areas just to get used to testing with crowds. I think I spoiled myself too much by studying and taking fls in the beautiful empty library during summer time. But hey I guess it wasn't meant to be. The question now is whether I should retake in January or april?:unsure:

Congrats to those of you who got scores you're content with! To those of you who are planning on retake.. I'm right there with you. At least we don't have to start from zero again!

Mind sharing how you improved in CARS & psych?
I wish I had a better answer for you, but honestly, I didn't focus too much in those sections. For psych, I copied the AAMC outline of topics and then filled it in the best I could and reread it every few days. I did a few practice sections, but mostly just did the passages in the full lengths and used that as practice. For CARS, I realized that most of my errors were because I was choosing too extreme answers (ex: choices with strong words like "weakest" and "perfect") or chose a stated fact rather than something that can be assumed when they asked for an assumption, so I kept those in mind. I actually didn't even do any separate practice other than what was in the full lengths I did.

So I basically bombed my mcat from September 11th. 495 :(:(:(
I just don't know what went wrong. I was doing okay on TPR FL. I was getting 500-508. This is the saddest sh** ever!!!!! what a disappointing performance, specially considering my AAMC FL score plus the predictor had me at 505-510. I guess I have to really look into my method and technique. going back to the drawing board. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

on the side note:- best of luck to those who rocked it!! :thumbup:

So I basically bombed my mcat from September 11th. 495 :(:(:(
I just don't know what went wrong. I was doing okay on TPR FL. I was getting 500-508. This is the saddest sh** ever!!!!! what a disappointing performance, specially considering my AAMC FL score plus the predictor had me at 505-510. I guess I have to really look into my method and technique. going back to the drawing board. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

on the side note:- best of luck to those who rocked it!! :thumbup:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you fix your deficits and come back stronger than ever!

As for your score - I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the drop off. What was your AAMC FL if you don't mind me asking?

I am also hoping that my MCAT helps make up for my gpa. You're in much better shape than me though. Upward trends are always good, and based on stats I think you have a really good shot at some good schools. Go over to WAMC and let them help you make a school list.
What's WAMC?

Alright, I'm back for what may be my last post on here. Thank you to everyone who's helped out and congrats to everyone who met their goals this time around! I'll tell y'all how I studied, felt about the AAMC FL, and how I felt about the actual MCAT I took on 09/12:

Actual score: 129/127/130/128 = 514 (91st)

So I started off studying around mid-May (it was quite random because I had no intention of taking the MCAT any time soon) by watching online video lectures for biochem from a professor at OSU by the name of Kevin Ahern -I would strongly recommend checking out his YouTube channel to review/learn biochem! In my particular case, I was learning biochem for the first time as I had never taken the class (I'm actually in the class this semester and it's great because I studied this stuff all summer). A few weeks before June, I realized I wanted to actually take the MCAT and so signed up for The Princeton Review's 2 month MCAT course. The thing about the course is it's pretty darn expensive for alright instruction, I personally did not benefit GREATLY from the classes. But I would STRONGLY recommend the course for all the resources they make available! Resources such as all the necessary books and a plethora of practice exams, including the official AAMC exam!

How I studied for each section:

Chem/Phys- I am currently a third year chemical engineering major so this section didn't have anything I hadn't seen before. I skimmed through the gen chem, Ochem, and physics books a few times, making sure to remember ALL the material. The hardest part for me was to remember all the equations but I would pretty much go thru the important equations everyday and so, was prepared by test day. Also, LEARN scientific notation! Math becomes so much easier with larger numbers lol.

CARS- LOL I've always been bad at verbal reasoning. I bought that 101 Passages book by EK and did passages pretty often, didn't follow a schedule, but I really stayed away from "studying" this section. Explains my score in this section.

Biology/Biochem- Like I said before, I followed Kevin Ahern's YouTube lectures. In addition, I read the giant Princeton review book maybe 3 times? This section was pretty much just memorizing things. I was pretty good at the experimental type questions so I did not study that much for those questions. Make sure to have the amino acids down front to back, side to side, top to bottom tbh.

Psych/Soc- I had zero background in any psych or soc so this section was the scariest for me starting off. For this I read the Princeton book word for word multiple times, maybe 4-5 times? I also watched EVERY khan academy video on this section. I wasn't playing any games with this part of the exam: it was totally new information that I had never seen/learned before. I also bought the Next Step practice guide for this section and did a lot of practice problems.

Practice Exams:
I took a total of 11 practice exams, 10 from TPR and the AAMC exam. My scores on TPR ranged from 499-507 with highest CARS score at 127 (once).

I took the AAMC exam 2 weeks before test date and scored: 75/72/86/83 ~ 129/125/130/129 (513). I was very surprised at the relatively high score because the TPR exams really were much more difficult. I truly believe the TPR exams helped me to build up test-taking skills such as POE, attacking Roman numeral questions quickly, etc.. I felt good as I wanted a 510+ on the MCAT and looked pretty good 2 weeks before testing. Needed to balance out CARS tho.

Actual MCAT:

I felt very weird after the exam. I had never taken a practice exam at 8 am and I actually began my real test around 7:30 so that was new. Afterwards I did not know if I did well or failed miserably -I honestly forgot nearly everything on the exam.

Chem/Phys: I felt alright about this section. Was able to answer most questions confidently. Had to guess on 3-4 as time ran out. I did not feel great or badly about this section.

CARS: I did not feel anything for this section after finishing. There had been so many times I thought I did well on a practice exam but made a 125-126 so I honestly had no idea how I did. I paced myself very well and managed to answer every question on time and used every second available.

Bio/Biochem: I felt bad after this section. Always being my highest score on practice exams, I thought I had screwed up big time and basically ended my chances at a 510+ score. I marked a lot more questions than I usually do and even skipped a passage I did not understand. Had to come back and answer everything, made several guesses. I did not feel very good after this section.

Psych/Soc- This section was, I felt, a little easier than people made it out to be. Maybe my exam had an easier section? Idk. Nevertheless there were still many terms I had never seen before but I trusted my guesses. I usually finished this section very quickly -I has about 30 minutes left to check over answers and make final guesses. I ended up taking the whole time before I had answers for every question.

Leaving the exam I thought my scores would be something around: 129/126/128/127 = 510. I wanted a 510 so I thought I was pretty set. But as time went on I felt like I did ever more poorly. I hated waiting so long lol. All in all, what you think after leaving the exam is not entirely a correct feeling as I had still made a high bio/biochem score! I'm so thankful for how balanced my scores turned out and am hoping my good GPA will be enough to get me interviews!

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question about how to interpret scores. I scored a 508 (77th percentile), which I constantly hear is the new "30." According to the old MCAT data from 2010-2014, the minimum percentile rank for a 30 was 79th percentile. 79th percentile falls under a 508 because 509's minimum percentile rank is 80th. With these overlapping ranges in mind, should I consider my 508 score a "29" or a "30?" Thanks.

EDIT: The tables say "upper bound," which seems that my percentile rank would have fallen within the range for 30 regardless and that this entire post is moot. Still, if some kind soul would let me know if I am thinking about it correctly or not, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a question about how to interpret scores. I scored a 508 (77th percentile), which I constantly hear is the new "30." According to the old MCAT data from 2010-2014, the minimum percentile rank for a 30 was 79th percentile. 79th percentile falls under a 508 because 509's minimum percentile rank is 80th. With these overlapping ranges in mind, should I consider my 508 score a "29" or a "30?" Thanks.

EDIT: The tables say "upper bound," which seems that my percentile rank would have fallen within the range for 30 regardless and that this entire post is moot. Still, if some kind soul would let me know if I am thinking about it correctly or not, that would be appreciated.

You're going to drive yourself crazy trying to compare the two percentiles like that. There truly is no exact way of comparing the two just because they're so different, so for all intents and purposes view it as a 30. Likewise, 127 appears to be the new 10 in the eyes of adcoms for cutoff purposes. 127 x 4 = 508. 506-507 have much more 29 character than 508 so don't sweat it

Last edited:
Ugh I know how everyone trying to convert their scores are feeling. I got a 505 and I definitely want it to be a low 29 rather than a 28. Does anyone know if it's a 28 or 29? I used a converter online but it most likely used the old "tentative" percentiles rather than the released ones.

I REALLY WANT IT TO BE A 29!!!!!!!!! I'm in the 68th percentile :clap:

Is a 505 good enough for US DO and Carib MD? Please let me know! For some reason I'm really satisfied with my score and percentile. Is it okay for me to feel happy and accomplished with a 505? My goal was a 30!

Last edited:

I hope having a first author pub helps too, I'm mad I didn't try hard my first 2 years but it should all work out in the end...good luck to you too we'll both make it!!!

Ugh I know how everyone trying to convert their scores are feeling. I got a 505 and I definitely want it to be a low 29 rather than a 28. Does anyone know if it's a 28 or 29? I used a converter online but it most likely used the old "tentative" percentiles rather than the released ones.

Is a 505 good enough for US DO and Carib MD? Please let me know! For some reason I'm really satisfied with my score and percentile. Is it okay for me to feel happy and accomplished with a 505? My goal was a 30!
it really depends on your GPA... if you have a 3.7 Gpa, and a 500+ MCAT, you have a decent shot a low tier schools, some mid tiers, and maybe even some top tier MD schools if you have great LOR's and EC's but definitely good enough for most DO schools with a GPA north of 3.6.

I just noticed that the percentiles people get correspond exactly to the percentiles on the new AAMC score document. Thus, everyone who scores 508 has 77th percentile and everyone with a 506 has 68th percentile. What happened to people who are 78 or 79 percentile? I guess the world will never know.

I just noticed that the percentiles people get correspond exactly to the percentiles on the new AAMC score document. Thus, everyone who scores 508 has 77th percentile and everyone with a 506 has 68th percentile. What happened to people who are 78 or 79 percentile? I guess the world will never know.

Yeah I noticed that they seem to be in bins too. Weird.

for the past two years, ...my Facebook adds...emails...yotube pop up adds...google adds. have all been about the MCAt. If i am content on the 27, which I'm freaking out (2nd time retake on new one)...i will reboot my computer and make it completely new!!!!my life has been at a stand still for like 2 years kinda ( i want to start a new) but the 27th fate will decide for me

Reactions: 1 users
for the past two years, ...my Facebook adds...emails...yotube pop up adds...google adds. have all been about the MCAt. If i am content on the 27, which I'm freaking out (2nd time retake on new one)...i will reboot my computer and make it completely new!!!!my life has been at a stand still for like 2 years kinda ( i want to start a new) but the 27th fate will decide for me
what score are you hoping for and what score would you settle for?

9/11 Test Day:
PS - 126 (lol)
CARS - 130 (97th percentile)
BS - 130 (97th percentile)
Psych - 130 (97th percentile)
Overall 516 (95th percentile)

Dont know how I bombed PS that badly, don't know how I did so well in the other sections lol

I don't want to stir up a whole debate on here but PLEASE don't go to the Caribbean for med school. Stay in the US if you want to practice in the US, and apply DO.

I don't want to stir up a whole debate on here but PLEASE don't go to the Caribbean for med school. Stay in the US if you want to practice in the US, and apply DO.
you're asking for trouble but I agree, even though most people really don't care if you went to carib MD; they can't even tell unless they actually know the school. However, they might flinch if you have DO next to your name rather than MD... people are scared of the unfamiliar.

you're asking for trouble but I agree, even though most people really don't care if you went to carib MD; they can't even tell unless they actually know the school. However, they might flinch if you have DO next to your name rather than MD... people are scared of the unfamiliar.
Well the problem isn't really what patients think about carib MD vs. DO grad, it's getting into a US residency after graduating from the Caribbean.

If you can get a residency, that is. I met a guy that went to a Carib school that didn't require MCAT, and he was unable to get a residency. Imagine being stuck with the bill for med school and being unable to get a job. With that said, however, I know another guy that went to a Carib and got a military scholarship. That person is practicing in the military, so perhaps its best for someone who went to Carib to sign up for a military scholarship and just practice military medicine. I may be wrong, but the military will just place you in a military residency program anyway, so matching won't be a problem if you're fine being whatever they tell you to be.

i know some people who are practicing in the states after going to carribean. people have different reasons for going there. i don't want to go personally because i prefer a DO school. let others go if they want to even if you don't want too.

9/11 Test Day:
PS - 126 (lol)
CARS - 130 (97th percentile)
BS - 130 (97th percentile)
Psych - 130 (97th percentile)
Overall 516 (95th percentile)

Dont know how I bombed PS that badly, don't know how I did so well in the other sections lol

I'm in the same exact boat as you except my 126 came in BS.

Are you concerned about your 126 PS score or do you feel that the 126 will not be that big of an issue when applying?

Well the problem isn't really what patients think about carib MD vs. DO grad, it's getting into a US residency after graduating from the Caribbean.
Well, if you can score high enough on the USMLE (90+ percentile) and went to a a top 4 carib school, you'd have pretty good chances at landing a residency, a decent one too. I do know several (10+ ) doctors (3 of them are surgeons) that attended carib med schools and they're doing pretty well.

i know some people who are practicing in the states after going to carribean. people have different reasons for going there. i don't want to go personally because i prefer a DO school. let others go if they want to even if you don't want too.
Like I said, I don't want to debate this, and OP can do whatever they want, but they should be aware of the dangers associated with the Caribbean.

Like I said, I don't want to debate this, and OP can do whatever they want, but they should be aware of the dangers associated with the Caribbean.

Hey @Doctor Dream ! I didn't mean to question DO vs MD so I'm sorry! I added Carib MD into the mix because I didn't think my 505 would be good enough for DO. I assumed it would be good enough for Carib MD because of my horrendous t-25 GPA (3.0). Still not sure if I'm even competitive in general though. It'll probably go up to 3.1ish I'm guessing.

ALSO HOW DID I GET A 129 (93%) IN CARS?:soexcited: I had a 90% P/S AAMC FL score but I scored in the 75th percentile on the real thing 0__0

Hey @Doctor Dream ! I didn't mean to question DO vs MD so I'm sorry! I added Carib MD into the mix because I didn't think my 505 would be good enough for DO. I assumed it would be good enough for Carib MD because of my horrendous t-25 GPA (3.0). Still not sure if I'm even competitive in general though. It'll probably go up to 3.1ish I'm guessing.

ALSO HOW DID I GET A 129 (93%) IN CARS?:soexcited: I had a 90% P/S AAMC FL score but I scored in the 75th percentile on the real thing 0__0
I had something similar with CARS! Took the AAMC FL 2x's, got 85% and 92% in that section, but only 70th %ile on the real thing :(

I'll put my full score here to help others! It's not as high as some of the other SDNers but I'll take it and run with it! I'm a first time test taker for what it's worth.

C/P: 123 (32%) - Yeah, kinda expected this so I'll have to work around cutoffs for apps.
CARS: 129 (93%) - SWEET!!!
B/B: 126 (67%) - Eh, ok
P/S: 127 (75%) - I seriously wanted a 129-130 on this and had a 90% on this section of the FL. I don't know what happened. I did OK.

TOTAL: 505 (68%) :claps:

My scores are all over the place lmao. It's kinda weird seeing a 93rd percentile right next to a 32nd percentile also. I probably would have done much better (507-8) if I studied C/P more (it definitely was a weak point). I wanted a higher score on P/S too because everything on my FL pointed toward a 129+.

I'm not going to retake so I'm just gonna cast my net far and wide (US DO, Carib MD) and see where it goes from here. Either way, I'm happy. Am I being too happy here? Is this score average/good? I feel so below average compared to all y'all in the 510+ club haha.

:clap:

Reactions: 4 users