Sent Secondaries In Late Aug/early Sept And Still No Word...bad Or Good Sign.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think. I have a great gpa, great recs...terrible MCAT...what do you thiink they are doing?????

Members don't see this ad.

What schools did you apply to?

If you haven't gotten a rejection, I guess that is better than no word. Did you apply to only top tier, or did you apply to a little bit of everything? Also, how many did you apply to? If you have 5-10, I might add some more. However, I applied around the time you did, have only heard back from one non Texas school so far for an interview. I wouldn't worry too much. It is still early. Maybe someone else might have some better advice, but I wouldn't get too worried yet. Maybe take the MCAT again in April if you don't get in this year.

I'm in a similar boat. With the August MCATers scores' being released next week, I imagine that schools will be a lot more forthright with regards to complete and soon to be complete files that are in que.

AAK

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to 11.
einstein, NYCM, drexel, tufts, temple, penn state, uconn, albany, GW, jefferson, mt sin,

mostly north eastern schools. I was thinking of applying to BU but i decided against. can you think of any other schools that might be more interested in high gpa, good recs and activities, and a lower mcat???
thanks

I'm in your same boat--fab gpa, wonderful recs, and most of my files were complete as of aug/sept. problem is, my mcats aren't great...i haven't heard anything either.

Okay,

I am not from the Northeast, but I will try to answer your question the best I can. I am not going to ask about your MCAT, but if it is less than 24, it is going to be really hard for you to get in unless you have a lot going for you. If it is less than that, try taking it again, but still don't become discourage because a lot of people on this board will make you tend to feel that way. If you don't want to take it again, but didn't get any invites after this year, you might need to go DO. DO is not bad at all, and I applied to one, not as a back up, but because I really respect the school & the people I know who go there. But, if you aren't going to like attending a DO, don't apply because it is not going to be worth your trouble. If your MCAT is between 24-27, do you have a high writing score? Some schools will give you a chance just becaue they see you as probably as creative person, who might be good at writing, but not taking standarized tests. For example if you have a 24 S, you might be given a second look. Whereas if you have a 24 M, you probably won't. So if you are in this range and don't get in this year, you might try applying DO & to other schools around the country next year. I would look at the MSAR book for details on schools outside your familiar location. Okay, if you have a 27-30 & you don't hear from any of the 11 schools except for rejections, there might be something else in your application you should consider evaluating. It might just not be your score. Look at how well you completed your AMCAS, is your essay personable, all those questions. Don't settle for, I had a bad MCAT b/c you are still around or above the national average. Okay, if you have a 30+, that is not bad at all. If you don't hear anything, you probably should look at your application as a whole. A 30+ or a 27-30 should not keep you completely out. If you need personable advice, I might see your pre-med advisor. Sometimes they can be really helpful or scare you out of applying. Just keep it up is all I can say & I wouldn't get disappointed unless I don't hear anything until December. When I was in high school I read how it took one person three years to get accepted & I told myself I would only try something else if I didn't get in after three years. However, if you are going to retake the MCAT. PREPARE PREPARE PREPARE. You only want to try to do better.

Hi there,

I did lots of work with my Admissions Committee when I was a medical student and I can tell you: It's still pretty early so chill out. There is still lots of time left. Most schools have a December 15th deadline for applications and are still processing the piles that are coming in. If you are not holding a rejection letter, your application is still under consideration. The scores from the August MCAT takers are not generally in until around October 15th so many schools will start moving after those scores come in. i also know that with the economy being somewhat poor, medical school applications are up this year with some schools going into the stratosphere. (UVa for example)

Sure folks are getting interviews now but many schools are still in the processing phase. Waiting around is something akin to a "descent into the underworld" but it is their show and in their hands now. Try not to read anything into the time that it takes to hear "something" because there are no hidden agendas here. It simply takes some time to process applications and some schools are simply in the "Dark Ages" when it comes to organization.

One thing that you can do now is focus on your Plan B. It always goes that the more elaborate your Plan B (contingency plan if you don't get in), the more likely you are to be invited for interview and be accepted. Work on that Plan B.

Do realize that everyone is not going to make it into medical school on the first try. In fact, the percentages will say that you are unlikely to make it in on the first try. Again, make sure that Plan B is viable and something that will enable you to strengthen your application should you need to reapply next year. Sure about 1 out of every three applicants is accepted but most people apply to more than one school and some folks will hold multiple acceptances waiting to weigh all options.

So is having no interviews or secondaries at this point bad? No, it probably reflects more on the efficiency of the adcoms and adoffices at the schools that you applied to. Resist the temptation to call schools but update your application should you receive something that will make your application stronger like a good letter of recommendation or a good grade in a class that you have been taking.

What can you do? Certainly not mope around and compare yourself to others who may have interviews, secondaries and acceptances. This whole process is somewhat capricious and certainly "cooked up by the Devil himself" but it is the only process going now. Try to do something positive for when the interviews do come around and again, work on that Plan B.

Good luck and keep positive.
njbmd

dude, i got secondaries coming in all the way until february. it's like college applications/acceptances -- once you get the first one, waves of them start pouring in

hi,
well i got two interviews of the 11, set for end nov-early december time. i got a 25. everything else is honestly great. Its quite depressing though...i was doing great on all the practice exams..etc. but just got really nervous.

Hey theDr.

Where did you get interviews to?

I'm still waiting too. Apps completed in mid-late Sept. I applied to 9 schools.