MD & DO Senior - bad GPA sGPA 3.26, MCAT (514)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhorn97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to do after I graduate in 2019, I'm definitely taking a gap year but I'm not sure whether to do a SMP/post-bacc or just work.
  1. Cumulative GPA 3.35
    AMCAS sGPA 3.26
    AACOMAS sGPA 3.26
  2. MCAT: 514 (127/131/128/128)
  3. TX resident
  4. Asian female, first generation college student
  5. Large TX public university
  6. Clinical experience: Over 270 hours with direct patient volunteer experience in a hospital over the last 5 summers.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Computational bio research for over 1 year, no awards/recognition; currently doing research with a RN/PhD at the local medical school and the children's hospital, currently working on a paper where I'll have 2nd authorship
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 40 hours in freshman year shadowing a fam med M.D.; sat in 5 general surgeries (bariatric and podiatry; sat with an anesthesiologist)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteering with the diversity office at my university and working with different minority and underrepresented groups
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Rising Star award through the Diversity Office at my school, member of a co-ed pre-health org, and inactive member of a large service co-ed fraternity; unpaid internship (can this count for volunteer hours) at a local nonprofit developing health info programs for non-English/English-limited immigrants
  11. Work: Worked during the '17-'18 school year as a Student Assistant and a Physics LA, spent Summer '17 scribing at a large public hospital and scribed at urgent care, trauma, and observation units. Was a business analyst intern for a telemedicine healthcare startup and worked under a MD (but licensed overseas and didn't practice med in the US)
  12. Special circumstances: During my freshman year, my father lost his job due to layoffs at his company and this really affected me mentally and emotionally because my family financially supports me. During my sophomore year, my grandmother who I was close with and lived with us for 8+ years died of cancer and really caused me to have a big mess up in sophomore year (changed a class to pass/fail in fall semester and dropped a bio class in spring semester).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are competitive for all DO schools with your stats . If you increase your cGPA to 3.5 you could receive several interviews from your Texas M.D. schools. A post bacc
may be necessary to reach that 3.5 .

Reactions: 1 user