sending GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myelin

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How soon should I send GRE scores for programs with early December deadlines? I took the GRE again yesterday and would like for those scores to show on the report.

Members don't see this ad.

How soon should I send GRE scores for programs with early December deadlines? I took the GRE again yesterday and would like for those scores to show on the report.

They have to score your AW before they will be sent. I think that usually takes 5-6 weeks. I'd go ahead and get the request in now so that they are sent off as soon as your scoring is done.

FYI, all of your GRE scores will be sent - meaning those from this last time as well as the time you took it before. Schools vary in how they use these: some use the highest, some use the most recent, and some average the two. But they will get both.

Good luck!!

It is never too early (ok, with minor exceptions) to send your GRE scores! Send them ASAP and call admissions in a few weeks to make sure they got it. A few of my programs didn't get mine so it helped that I sent in a photo copy with the rest of application. They'll still request the "official" scores but at least I could be evaluated for interviews.

Also, not sure if your school sends out your transcripts directly or if you can include them in your application but I'd go ahead and order those too. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
They have to score your AW before they will be sent. I think that usually takes 5-6 weeks. I'd go ahead and get the request in now so that they are sent off as soon as your scoring is done.

FYI, all of your GRE scores will be sent - meaning those from this last time as well as the time you took it before. Schools vary in how they use these: some use the highest, some use the most recent, and some average the two. But they will get both.

Good luck!!

5-6 weeks to score the AW? Are you sure on that? Last time I took the test, I received a score report within 3 weeks.

HeyJude, thanks for the tip. I'll definately include a copy of my score report with the application packet. It looks like it's going to come down to the wire for the Dec. 1 deadlines, and I don't trust ETS to get my scores there in time.

I have a question that may be dumb, but...

Does sending general test scores alone include analytical writing? I'm wondering because there's an option to include AW scores, but they make it sound like that's from a stand-alone session. I'm just making sure because this process is really confusing me :D

I have a question that may be dumb, but...

Does sending general test scores alone include analytical writing? I'm wondering because there's an option to include AW scores, but they make it sound like that's from a stand-alone session. I'm just making sure because this process is really confusing me :D

AW scores are included (as long as you check that box). the tricky thing is when they also ask if you want your subject scores sent, but you haven't taken them yet. asking if you want your subject test scores sent implies that they WILL send them along with the general ones, if that's what you've checked, but that is not the case. only if you've already taken the subject test will they be sent along with your general test. if you haven't taken the subjects yet, it doesen't matter what you check, they'll only send out the general, and you need to get the subjects sent seprarately.

A few of my programs didn't get mine so it helped that I sent in a photo copy with the rest of application. They'll still request the "official" scores but at least I could be evaluated for interviews.
Also, not sure if your school sends out your transcripts directly or if you can include them in your application but I'd go ahead and order those too. good luck!

such good advice--when in doubt, send a photocopy of your GRE scores along with your application, and mention on your coversheet that, while you've had ets officially send your scores you're including a photocopy as well. (I always made a coversheet listing everything enclosed, and 2x checked it against the contents of my envelope before i sent it off). I sent everything together in one envelope to reduce the liklihood of things getting lost, and everything was on on time---except those pesky GRE scores that i'd ordered well, well in advance. ETS is awful.

What if you didn't check that box? I just checked general because I thought AW was included.

Just sent my scores off, it looked like the AW check box referred to freestanding sessions in mid to late 2003.

That's what I thought. So just checking general is okay?

I received the AW scores in 12-14 days!

if you haven't taken the subjects yet, it doesen't matter what you check, they'll only send out the general, and you need to get the subjects sent seprarately.

psybee, just to clarify, I'll be taking the psych GREs this saturday but I've already sent the extra score reports form last October, along with my credit card info requesting my general and subject scores to be sent to some schools. Will this mean that I will have to call ETS to re-request my subject GRE scores? Another round of payments???

psybee, just to clarify, I'll be taking the psych GREs this saturday but I've already sent the extra score reports form last October, along with my credit card info requesting my general and subject scores to be sent to some schools. Will this mean that I will have to call ETS to re-request my subject GRE scores? Another round of payments???

Yes. They send scores immediately when you request them, and they can't send scores from tests you haven't taken yet. :) I know-- I hate this process.

Members don't see this ad :)
so this may be beating a dead horse, but i still need some clarification help. if i took the subject test in october, ets says my scores are not sent until the end of november. if i have not ordered score reports for any of my schools (with dec. 1 or dec. 15 deadlines) should i wait until i can send all the scores together and put in a request to send scores at the end of november? or is that too late and i should just go ahead and send my general scores now? thanks!

pffttt... thanks! I wonder how much ETS earns every year from score reports!

They charge $12 for score by phone too... It's such a scam, really.

so this may be beating a dead horse, but i still need some clarification help. if i took the subject test in october, ets says my scores are not sent until the end of november. if i have not ordered score reports for any of my schools (with dec. 1 or dec. 15 deadlines) should i wait until i can send all the scores together and put in a request to send scores at the end of november? or is that too late and i should just go ahead and send my general scores now? thanks!

If you already took the subject test, I'm pretty sure you can request both subject and general scores now and everything will be sent as soon as the subject scores are available-- That would save time in processing the request after your receive your scores. You might want to double-check with ETS, though, just in case.

Ok, so I requested a score report to be sent to my top school, which happens to have an early deadline (Dec 1st)... I got kind of worried about it, so I called ETS today just to make sure that my latest scores were sent. And the lady tells me that my psychology GRE scores were requested to be sent but haven't gone out yet because the score is not available... I did NOT request the psych ones to be sent, I requested the General GRE scores to be sent.... Luckily, she requested them to be sent and did not make me pay an extra $20 for ETS's mistake. It even shows on my confirmation that I requested only the general scores.... I hope this is not the start to more ETS problems...

Ok, so I requested a score report to be sent to my top school, which happens to have an early deadline (Dec 1st)... I got kind of worried about it, so I called ETS today just to make sure that my latest scores were sent. And the lady tells me that my psychology GRE scores were requested to be sent but haven't gone out yet because the score is not available... I did NOT request the psych ones to be sent, I requested the General GRE scores to be sent.... Luckily, she requested them to be sent and did not make me pay an extra $20 for ETS's mistake. It even shows on my confirmation that I requested only the general scores.... I hope this is not the start to more ETS problems...

NOT COOL. Especially if you don't WANT to send the other scores.

I'm trying to order additional score reports for the GRE and Psych GRE.

For the universities that say on their websites to "send GRE scores to the graduate school, not the psychology department" what do you do in terms of ordering the reports online or via phone?

On the GRE site, It asks for the institution code and then a department code or you can just do the institution code and skip the department code. Should I skip putting in the department code for those schools that say to "send GRE scores to the graduate school, not the psychology department"?

On the GRE site, it says you can skip putting in the department code "If your department is included within the Institution Name or if your recipient is a fellowship sponsor, you may skip this page." But those are clearly not the reason.

NOT COOL. Especially if you don't WANT to send the other scores.

Yes, definitely not cool... I feel confident that I did well, but I wanted to see the score before I sent it to any schools taht did not require it... Oh ETS, how I loathe you...

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to use this much loathed scores-by-phone service. Does anyone know how many scores you get to hear? Just General/Just Psych? Both? Multiple/Past tests??

Yes, definitely not cool... I feel confident that I did well, but I wanted to see the score before I sent it to any schools taht did not require it... Oh ETS, how I loathe you...

That's my situation too. They are taking some sweet time with our scantron sheets. (Aren't scantrons graded by machines??)

Their method must be from the 1970s or something.

Sorry ETS!! (Too much bashing)

Last edited:
I'm trying to order additional score reports for the GRE and Psych GRE.

For the universities that say on their websites to "send GRE scores to the graduate school, not the psychology department" what do you do in terms of ordering the reports online or via phone?

On the GRE site, It asks for the institution code and then a department code or you can just do the institution code and skip the department code. Should I skip putting in the department code for those schools that say to "send GRE scores to the graduate school, not the psychology department"?

On the GRE site, it says you can skip putting in the department code "If your department is included within the Institution Name or if your recipient is a fellowship sponsor, you may skip this page." But those are clearly not the reason.

contact the program you are applying to and ask them where you should send your score if that code is not listed on thier website. no point in playing guessing games if the wrong answer could mean your app. is looked over.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to use this much loathed scores-by-phone service. Does anyone know how many scores you get to hear? Just General/Just Psych? Both? Multiple/Past tests??

That's my situation too. They are taking some sweet time with our scantron sheets. (Aren't scantrons graded by machines??)

Their method must be from the 1970s or something.

Sorry ETS!! (Too much bashing)

ETS friggin' deserves it. They're a slow monopolistic (is that even a word? Well it is now) company that bleeds us of the little money we have.

I just sent GRE scores that are 2 years old. At the top of the sheet, each school received "G S" which means general and subject. Is my writing score included on the "G" or should there be a separate "W"? I completed the writing section at the same time as the general test, fwiw.

contact the program you are applying to and ask them where you should send your score if that code is not listed on thier website. no point in playing guessing games if the wrong answer could mean your app. is looked over.

true. thanks.

i didn't want to send stupid emails though if when they say "send just to the graduate school" means "don't put a department code."

better safe than sorry though.