Trouble with GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychNLife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I studied with Kaplan Prep (all the premium stuff as well) for about 2 months, at about 3 hours per day 6/7 days per week. So, a LOT of studying. I ended up getting a V 162, Q149, and a AW likely to be a 5 (hasn't come in yet, but that's my average on all my practice ones). Now, I'm quite happy with that verbal and with the writing, but obviously that quantitative is quite low. However, when combined, it comes out to 311, which is indeed at the thresholds of most decent schools, right????? I have the feeling that if I wanted to apply to Rutgers or Yeshiva (both of which are high interest to me, but obviously competitive), I'd for sure have to retake it. Just took this official one on August 11th.

And I'm willing to retake it.... EXCEPT that some of these schools also require the Psych Subject Test...which I am forced to take on September 12th (was the last possible date until April which is too late... unless more spaces open up). So yeah.... not really enough time to study for both. So, do I spend more time studying for the subject test, or do I spend more time studying for my retake (which I could schedule with more flexibility, as it's only the subject test that's offered only 3 times per year). Both are required for schools like Rutgers (despite me being a psych major with a ~3.67 GPA)

Part of me wishes I had just gotten like 3 more quant points and then I would be fine leaving the current score for the GRE as is.... but now I'm unsure what to commit my time to.

EDIT: applying to a few PhD's, but mostly PsyD's, and maybe one or two masters.

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are average for most applicants to Ph.D./Psy.D. programs (see link below). There's research on the diminishing returns of retaking the GRE barring some kind of disaster your first time around. Honestly, you might bump your quant score a few points, but probably not high enough to be meaningfully different than what you have now. I'd focus on other indicators (research experience, personal statement, etc...) if I were in your position.

this is good to know, but you don't think that the 149 quant will harm me at least a little for the more competitive programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
this is good to know, but you don't think that the 149 quant will harm me at least a little for the more competitive programs?

It's hard to say definitively. I don't think an average quant is an automatic rejection if that's what you're asking. It's probably true that some programs will probably care more than others. Like @futureapppsy2 said, the GRE is being waived for many programs reflecting a diminishing emphasis on this indicator in favor of others.

It's hard to say definitively. I don't think an average quant is an automatic rejection if that's what you're asking. It's probably true that some programs will probably care more than others. Like @futureapppsy2 said, the GRE is being waived for many programs reflecting a diminishing emphasis on this indicator in favor of others.
Also, a pandemic that’s really disrupting testing.

What are the percentiles of your scores? I can't ever remember a good frame of reference since they changed the scoring. FWIW my quant was exactly 50th percentile but I had a much more substantial strength in verbal; I think this was an atypical profile among my grad school cohort, but I did get interviews and acceptances at decent (although not the most competitive) programs (would consider probably mid-tier competitiveness for my specific interests). I knew it wouldn't be much benefit for me to retake the GRE re: my quant score- there weren't any unusual factors on the day I took it - so instead I focused on the psych GRE and killed it. No idea if that helped or not. But I do think a high verbal score and conveying during interviews and essays that I actually do enjoy writing helped (my advisor told me as much). SO if that's actually true for you, a thought to consider. GRE is only one part of getting your foot in the door. Don't focus too much on it and lose sight of the bigger picture / yourself as a "package" with other good qualities too, not just a score. And tailor your applications to include at least a few from different tiers of competitiveness as long as they're well-suited to your interests/goals and you know, meet the basic criteria like decent match and licensure rate.