Sending 4 LORs harmful if the program only require 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldtang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to assign four LORs to each program so they will get a more comprehensive impression of me (in case that one of the letters is not very positive).
But I've also heard that if a program only require three LORs, they will randomly discard one of the four LORs
Is that true?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to assign four LORs to each program so they will get a more comprehensive impression of me (in case that one of the letters is not very positive).
But I've also heard that if a program only require three LORs, they will randomly discard one of the four LORs
Is that true?
Thank you!

i'm applying this cycle as well so i don't know this from experience but i heard at programs where i rotated at that they don't like when ppl seem to "not be able to follow directions" and send extra LORs (which they won't look at the extras, not sure if its random or not or just by the order they were downloaded). sounds like its not in your best interest to send 4 if they ask for 3. i know we don't get to read our letters but if the person u asked to write your rec didn't give u a feeling that they would write a strong one, u might not wanna use that letter.

Where do programs state their directions? Is it on ERAS or their websites. It'd be hard for me to follow directions if I don't read them in the first place. :confused:

Where do programs state their directions? Is it on ERAS or their websites. It'd be hard for me to follow directions if I don't read them in the first place. :confused:
Yes, what is worse is that many programs do not state on their websites about how many letters are required. And I don't have time to ask them one by one since I'm applying to over 100 programs. That's another reason why I'm trying to send 4 LORs to these programs.

Alot of programs' websites say either:

Three letters of recommendations
At least three letters of recommendations

Never do they write:
No more than three letters of recommendations
More than two but less than four letters
Hey don't send me four or I will throw one out and then pee on your application.

I don't think it matters. If they see four but want three, they will print out three. I don't think it really takes an incredible amount of effort not to click on the fourth link for an LOR. And if it really pisses off the person, is that someone you truly want to work with?

Now if you send two, you deserve what's coming to you. Which is absolutely nothing. E-static.

Never do they write:
Hey don't send me four or I will throw one out and then pee on your application.

I don't think it matters. If they see four but want three, they will print out three. I don't think it really takes an incredible amount of effort not to click on the fourth link for an LOR. And if it really pisses off the person, is that someone you truly want to work with?

Now if you send two, you deserve what's coming to you. Which is absolutely nothing. E-static.
Agree. Rarely (I think I saw one program) will say ONLY 3 letters are read. Most say 3 are required but don't make note of how fourth are viewed.

Never do they write:

actually i was talking to a fellow today who was on his admissions committee (urban, state university based, primary care specialty) when he was a resident and he told me that at his program, they just didn't read the extra letter (he didn't say how they chose which one out of the four was dropped if someone sent four). but he did say that they didn't have time (and he kinda said it as if they found it annoying if someone sent more than what was asked esp since they were volunteering their time with everything else they have to do) to read more than what they asked for (three, dunno if it said max or not on his program's website since he's not in my specialty of interest; for my intended spec, they did not say on their website how many lors i had to send in but they did tell me 3 when i emailed and i found out on freida later that it also said 3 if u look under the "general info" tab for the program)...so just take that for whatever its worth (i'm not saying what he said is in favor or against any particular argument since everyone can decide on their own what they want to do). i know we're all stressed out but i ask myself, too, would it really make a difference if i sent that extra letter since i do have 4+ and why do i feel like i need to send the extra? like i said b4, i decided, for me, just to send what they ask for so now i'm more in the stage of having to decide which letter to drop for which programs...i'm sure most programs won't NOT interview someone b/c they sent an extra lor (exc maybe that one highly competitive one where i rotated where i heard the comment about applicants 'not following instructions') tho u just won't know that they didn't read one of your letters is all...so prob no biggie though i'm not the gambler type so i won't and i think at least 3 of my lors r prob sufficient since the recommenders said that they could write "strong" lors.

Last edited:
I sent four letters to all my programs. I didn't see any that said that there was a "maximum" number. The websites seemed to all say something to the effect of "At least three" or "Three letters are required."

Maybe I will lose points for not following directions, but I think that would be a bit harsh. The electronic application service they are all choosing to use allows you to submit four letters, so if they absolutely don't want four, they should more clearly indicate that they don't want more than three letters.

Otherwise, the programs get what they get. And if the program is dinging students for erring on the side of more rather than less in the face of less than clear directions, then that's probably not the most warm and fuzzy training environment.

Of course, when I end up scrambling, I'll probably be beating myself up for sending four letters rather than three... :p

Otherwise, the programs get what they get. And if the program is dinging students for erring on the side of more rather than less in the face of less than clear directions, then that's probably not the most warm and fuzzy training environment.

I totally agree! If a program is that anal-retentive (with less than clear directions), I'll count it as a blessing when I get rejected from there and end up matching at a warm and fuzzy program :) Consider this my litmus test for programs ;) But just like you I'll be retracting these words if I have to end up scrambling in March time..haha :laugh:

I totally agree! If a program is that anal-retentive (with less than clear directions), I'll count it as a blessing when I get rejected from there and end up matching at a warm and fuzzy program :) Consider this my litmus test for programs ;) But just like you I'll be retracting these words if I have to end up scrambling in March time..haha :laugh:

as i said b4, i don't think it really matters and its really a personal decision. if they really only want 3, we'll most likely never know if they "dropped" and didn't look at 1 of the 4 sent (like my fellow friend said they do as his program) anyways. i've only heard a nasty comment at one competitive program about the 'not following directions' thing. though my school did tell me not to send more than 3 if that's what they ask for. i'm in the same predicament since i have 4 LORs coming (have 3 already and the one missing is the one from a big name and won't come til late sept or early oct) and have to decide as well.

Last edited:
Asked my school about this and they recommended emailing the programs if unsure. However, for me, about half the programs I applied to are ambiguous on the " werequire 3 letters of recommendation."

i have 4 letters assigned to programs, but the last letter writer will not be able to submit my letter till much later. So they have 3/4 assigned letters. This should be fine right? even if the last letter even never makes it?

i have 4 letters assigned to programs, but the last letter writer will not be able to submit my letter till much later. So they have 3/4 assigned letters. This should be fine right? even if the last letter even never makes it?

I'd "uncheck" the 4th letter from your programs. You don't want them waiting on a letter that's never going to come. If it makes it, you can then add it later.

I asked the program coordinator's advice at my home institution's OBGYN dept. They say "we require 3 letters" on the website. She then said I could submit 3 OBGYN letters and 1 medicine letter (so at least one program confirmed "we require" = at least).

I'm with all y'all: the stupid "we require" language is bogusly ambiguous. Additionally, we're all friggin overachieving med students so of course we'll do/give more unless explicitly told not to. And don't even get me started on programs that say they want 4, and then seem to count the MSPE/Dean's letter. What a mess.

Last edited:
I'd "uncheck" the 4th letter from your programs. You don't want them waiting on a letter that's never going to come. If it makes it, you can then add it later.

FYI, this is not necessary. I can't see a letter until it is downloaded to my program. If you assign a letter and it never is uploaded to ERAS, I would never know the difference. I can't see that letters have been assigned but not uploaded.