Selecting a Medical School Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunnerMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard people say that it is advantageous to select a school with a derm program, but I was wondering when this is particularly important (pre-clinical years vs. clinical years).

The reason I am asking is that I will be attending the University of Miami in the fall, but I LOVE their satellite program in Boca Raton (you do your pre-clinical years in Boca, and then your clinical years in Miami). So I was wondering if I would still get the benefit of attending a school with a strong derm program, even though I would like to do the satellite program my first two years. When do you usually make "contacts" in your schools' derm program? 3rd & 4th year? Or is this something you should be doing from Day 1?

(I apologize if this post is difficult to understand). Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

RunnerMD said:
I've heard people say that it is advantageous to select a school with a derm program, but I was wondering when this is particularly important (pre-clinical years vs. clinical years).

The reason I am asking is that I will be attending the University of Miami in the fall, but I LOVE their satellite program in Boca Raton (you do your pre-clinical years in Boca, and then your clinical years in Miami). So I was wondering if I would still get the benefit of attending a school with a strong derm program, even though I would like to do the satellite program my first two years. When do you usually make "contacts" in your schools' derm program? 3rd & 4th year? Or is this something you should be doing from Day 1?

(I apologize if this post is difficult to understand). Thanks so much for your help!
If you are sure this is what you want then the earlier the better for making contacts.Miami has strong Derm,with faculty worth getting to know.See if you can get involved with a summer research project.The faculty with the most influence in a program are the full time people at the home base so focus on them even if you are away during the first two years.