Seeking advice, struggles the past year with health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

igotocollege1997

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have greatly battled my autoimmune disease (hashimotos) and depression this past year and my GPA has tanked from a 3.6 to where it is now. I have been Pre-PA for the past two years. About to be a senior (21m) current cGPA 3.41 sGPA 3.07, looking like after this semester those numbers will be c= 3.33 s=2.99. I'm switching out of the bio major back to my original Physiology major, and am planning to do micro this summer. I want to work in healthcare, and of course in a perfect paradox you work in something that you are insanely passionate about and thats your life, however, I may need to consider back up plans that aren't my "dream" but may give me what I am looking for in a career, which is primarily combining my love of healthcare and of being able to use that to help people get better. I have shadowed 120+ hours in healthcare and am aware of the job duties, I just need some realistic options in regards to both my health (extreme stress causes flare-ups of my condition) and my overall chances of getting in and being successful.

1. Switch back to Physiology Major, graduate on time, bet on myself and finish the pre reqs (the rest of my app is solid where if I held my gpa c3.4 s3.2 I would probably get in somewhere). This would definitely require gap years to first raise things back up and to also show im not a college burnout
2.Switch back to Physiology major and pursue OT. I used to be Pre PT and OT is pretty similar (I have worked in a therapy clinic for three years). My pre req gpa for OT is strong and would provide aspects of career im looking for
3. Switch to a nursing major. I graduate a year late, but I have a new path to become a midlevel or do one of many other pathways. This case I would also not have to explain my 3 Withdrawls.
I have till this summer to decide but I would like to make my mind up sooner. I am planning to take micro this summer as its needed for all 3 options.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer the PT vs OT vs RN discussion but I think shadowing and being sure before narrowing it down further would be a useful thing. Having flare-ups and starting an intensive RN or PT/OT program would be bad so taking time to get things under control might be helpful.

Regarding the Hashimotos combined with depression, I suggest giving a gluten-free diet a real try, if you have not already done so. There is some scientific literature that suggests that gluten-free might be a positive with these diagnoses and it couldn't hurt - I've seen it help others with Hashis. Hang in there - I know it's not easy.

I have greatly battled my autoimmune disease (hashimotos) and depression this past year and my GPA has tanked from a 3.6 to where it is now. I have been Pre-PA for the past two years. About to be a senior (21m) current cGPA 3.41 sGPA 3.07, looking like after this semester those numbers will be c= 3.33 s=2.99. I'm switching out of the bio major back to my original Physiology major, and am planning to do micro this summer. I want to work in healthcare, and of course in a perfect paradox you work in something that you are insanely passionate about and thats your life, however, I may need to consider back up plans that aren't my "dream" but may give me what I am looking for in a career, which is primarily combining my love of healthcare and of being able to use that to help people get better. I have shadowed 120+ hours in healthcare and am aware of the job duties, I just need some realistic options in regards to both my health (extreme stress causes flare-ups of my condition) and my overall chances of getting in and being successful.

1. Switch back to Physiology Major, graduate on time, bet on myself and finish the pre reqs (the rest of my app is solid where if I held my gpa c3.4 s3.2 I would probably get in somewhere). This would definitely require gap years to first raise things back up and to also show im not a college burnout
2.Switch back to Physiology major and pursue OT. I used to be Pre PT and OT is pretty similar (I have worked in a therapy clinic for three years). My pre req gpa for OT is strong and would provide aspects of career im looking for
3. Switch to a nursing major. I graduate a year late, but I have a new path to become a midlevel or do one of many other pathways. This case I would also not have to explain my 3 Withdrawls.
I have till this summer to decide but I would like to make my mind up sooner. I am planning to take micro this summer as its needed for all 3 options.