Seeking Advice: Low GPA, Undergrad Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOEInspire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new to this forum and I am seeking serious advice. My situation is rather unfavorable for medical school. I am currently in my first semester of my senior year as a bio pre-med major. My current overall GPA is a 2.8 and my science GPA is a 2.5.

Although it is a very late decision, I want to go to med school. The problem I am encountering is that I am on the verge of graduating with a general studies degree. My school requires a minimum science GPA of a 3.0 in order to receive a B.S. in biology. I am afraid that I will not be able to increase that to meet the standards.

I want to turn my situation around but I don't know how. During my college career I have been a two-sport student athlete. I have also had many shadowing hours and regularly work at a long-term care nursing facility during school breaks. I have not yet taken the MCAT.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I am willing to do whatever it takes to gain entrance to med school.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get the general studies degree, it's a trap. They'd love you to graduate to boost whatever stat is important on Friday.

Finish biochem. Retake, do whatever and try harder. Ultimately, you're looking at a masters in biochem with a radically different outcome and then you're med school material.

I say this with the most heart possible, fact is you didn't perform, but you can if you apply yourself. Nothing bio or medicine is hard, it just takes effort.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's true. Worse case scenario you have a masters in bio and can make a decent living.