Accepted MD - low GPA, low MCAT, late app. CA ORM Nontrad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curlywhirly1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Posting my stats to potentially provide hope to those who may be in a similar situation. Frankly astounded I got in this cycle, and fully expected to reapply. Hope my data point helps someone! Details and stats below.

Accepted to 2 MD schools (Carle Illinois and Cooper Rowan). Will be 34 when I matriculate. Both schools fit my app's narrative of engineering and service.

What I did well / Strengths:
- 4.0 post bacc GPA
(40 science credits at an extension University, all virtual, over 1.5 years; did this a decade after ugrad so I was far removed from my terrible ugrad grades.)

- 3.8 masters GPA (engineering)
- Unique career for a decade combining engineering, leadership, service and international work

I started my DIY premed journey June 2020 and followed "Goro's guide for pre-meds who need reinvention" on SDN. Applied June 2022. There's a lot wrong with my app, and following that guide probably gave me a fighting chance.

What I did ok / Average:
- 250 hrs clinical service (primarily hospice)
- 360 hrs unique-ish non-clinical service
- 30 hrs shadowing (primarily virtual)
- 800 hrs ugrad + grad research (no pubs)

What I did wrong / Weaknesses:
- cGPA / sGPA 3.25 / 3.4 (includes post-bacc)

- Multiple Ds (including ochem!), Cs (including physics!) and Ws in ugrad transcript

- Applied late (complete late Aug - late Nov)
- Only submitted secondaries to 17 schools (all MD)
- CA resident

- MCAT 506 (127/125/127/127) - self studied for 5 months using YouTube videos, UWorld and Anki. Voided 1st attempt. Scored 2nd attempt 1 month later.

MCAT mistakes:
1. I used a very extensive Anki deck in order to memorize minutiae, but quickly became overwhelmed by the sheer number of cards, lost steam, and then gave up on Anki. As a result, I did not memorize the material for a majority of subjects. I lost so many points because my knowledge base was simply not wide enough.

In hindsight, I should have used a basic Anki deck, memorized the high yield concepts, and then drilled down from there.

2. I underestimated my timing issues while taking a computerized test. Being unable to write notes next to the problem statement itself, and constantly losing my place amongst large blocks of word salad on a screen presented huge barriers. I should have initially dedicated a couple months to timed practice tests instead of one.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for sharing OP.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
Posting my stats to potentially provide hope to those who may be in a similar situation. Frankly astounded I got in this cycle, and fully expected to reapply. Hope my data point helps someone! Details and stats below.

Accepted to 1 MD school (Carle Illinois) and Waitlisted at 1 MD school (Cooper Rowan). Will be 34 when I matriculate. Both schools fit my app's narrative of engineering and service.

What I did well / Strengths:
- 4.0 post bacc GPA
(40 science credits at an extension University, all virtual, over 1.5 years; did this a decade after ugrad so I was far removed from my terrible ugrad grades.)

- 3.8 masters GPA (engineering)
- Unique career for a decade combining engineering, leadership, service and international work

I started my DIY premed journey June 2020 and followed "Goro's guide for pre-meds who need reinvention" on SDN. Applied June 2022. There's a lot wrong with my app, and following that guide probably gave me a fighting chance despite my past and later mishaps.

What I did ok / Average:
- 250 hrs clinical service (primarily hospice)
- 360 hrs unique-ish non-clinical service
- 30 hrs shadowing (primarily virtual)
- 800 hrs ugrad + grad research (no pubs)

What I did wrong / Weaknesses:
- cGPA / sGPA 3.25 / 3.4 (includes post-bacc)

- Multiple Ds (including ochem!), Cs (including physics!) and Ws in ugrad transcript

- Applied late (complete late Aug - late Nov)
- Only submitted secondaries to 17 schools (all MD)
- CA resident

- MCAT 506 (127/125/127/127) - self studied for 5 months using YouTube videos, UWorld and Anki. Voided 1st attempt. Scored 2nd attempt 1 month later.

MCAT mistakes:
1. I used a very extensive Anki deck in order to memorize minutiae, but quickly became overwhelmed by the sheer number of cards, lost steam, and then gave up on Anki. As a result, I did not memorize the material for a majority of subjects. I lost so many points because my knowledge base was simply not wide enough.

In hindsight, I should have used a basic Anki deck, memorized the high yield concepts, and then drilled down from there.

2. I underestimated my timing issues while taking a computerized test. Being unable to write notes next to the problem statement itself, and constantly losing my place amongst large blocks of word salad on a screen presented huge barriers. I should have initially dedicated a couple months to timed practice tests instead of one.

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering-- how did you develop your medical school list? Did you base it off your stats only or by mission/location etc.? Also, do you think your essay/interview influenced the successful outcome of this cycle? Thank u!