Seeking Advice For Next Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello9753

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking to apply next cycle, since I am in the process of fixing myself from my undergrad grind. I'm still not done, but I plan on taking my last 2 semesters slowly ( part-time ).

I got a MCAT score that I somewhat expected, since I picked a poor time to take it. I am considering a retake of my MCAT vs just applying to DO schools, but I would like to avoid taking CASPER and other tests. My main deficiency during my MCAT prep was caused by depression from loneliness, which really hindered my reading compression/memory. No one took me seriously, so I was functioning with a rock for a brain. However I have made great improvements to my functionality. I am totally ok with going to a DO school, but I was wondering if it is worth the effort to bother with a MCAT retake.

cGPA (3.78) and sGPA (3.73):
I have not finished undergrad yet, but I have 2 planned part time semesters left.

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 501 (126/124/125/126)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): VA

Ethnicity and/or race: ORM

Undergraduate institution or category: State School

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 1300+ Hours
Scribe ( All MD's ): 100( Ortho ) , 50 (GI), 100 (Onco), 632 (PCP)
Patient Sitter: 450 Hours ( ongoing )

Research experience and productivity: 2000+ Hours
20 hours a week for past 2 years: Quantum Chemistry Lab ( ML and Python )
Medicinal Chemistry (60) + Chemical Synthesis Lab (80)

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
Planned 20 Hours with DO Emergency Med ( Will also seek rec )

Non-clinical volunteering: ~400 hours
Food Pantry/ Clothing Closet: 350 Hours (Ongoing)
Trash Pick Up: 30 Hours
Misc (Habitat for Humanity, Mentoring, Red Cross Club): 20 Hours

Relevant honors or awards: No Awards

Anything else not listed you think might be important:
-Gap Semester to work full time
-Downward trend of GPA due to less classes and upper level courses.
-Lack of Awards

DO School List:
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine

University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine

Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

@Mr.Smile12

Members don't see this ad.

First thing, what help have you sought for your depression? I think it would be a bad idea to retake without solid management of this problem.
Yes, I have DM'd you regarding what I am currently/ have done so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would only plan to retake 3-4 months after I am truly comfortable with my mental status for a while. Luckily, the experience of the mental burnout/breakdown do make signs of a reoccurrence a lot easier to recognize and a bigger priority, which I do have a better grip on remedying.

However, is it worth the extra effort to retake the MCAT and apply to MD schools? If I'm not mistaken, the main difference between an MD and DO school are my chances of entering certain specialties. I don't really mind what I go into. The only aspirations I would be discarding the possibility of living in cities that I have always wanted to stay in. Although the decision of retaking the MCAT wouldn't impact me greatly as of right now, it will determine how I will plan my spring semester (Ideal retake in April 2023). I genuinely don't have a preference for either option. I enjoyed studying and taking the MCAT. So what are questions I should consider prior to determining my next steps? I would like to believe I have an ok DO application (w/ DO LOR), but if not what else would I need to have to reinforce my DO application (besides MCAT score)? I will probably circle back and seek a more refined DO school list.

@Mr.Smile12

Also thank you for the responsiveness and reassurance you have provided.

Last edited:
Hey @Faha

I was wondering how does my application look for DO? I think I am fine, but I would just like some confirmation for getting into an DO school with my MCAT. Would I need to retake my MCAT?

I was wondering if you would be able to provide me a list for next year, if my current MCAT standing is fine. The only changes to my application would be a leadership role with my nonclinical volunteering position and 500+ hours in clinical and non clinical hours (~ 8-12 hours a week).

Your MCAT is fine for the majority of DO schools. On your list Ohio admits very few non residents and UNECOM has a regional preference.
These are schools where you could receive interviews with your stats:
LUCOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM