Seeking advice: Clinician Career Change at 45?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Makes sense. Thanks. Off-topic, would you say AA school so far has been more, less or just about as challenging as you expected going in?

Academically, it is about what I expected. But I expected it to be very difficult. We had to read a whole textbook by the end of the first (Summer) semester. The volume of information is incredible. But we all work together to help each other and our class is full of a lot of intelligent people who want to be great at what they do.

Now, I'm guessing next year when I'm in clinicals that my mind is going to be blown and I can throw everything I thought I knew about anesthesia out the window while I learn it over again completely.

Members don't see this ad.

Academically, it is about what I expected. But I expected it to be very difficult. We had to read a whole textbook by the end of the first (Summer) semester. The volume of information is incredible. But we all work together to help each other and our class is full of a lot of intelligent people who want to be great at what they do.

Now, I'm guessing next year when I'm in clinicals that my mind is going to be blown and I can throw everything I thought I knew about anesthesia out the window while I learn it over again completely.

Ha! Probably true. Back to the trailblazing idea, educating anesthesiologists about AAs will take time too. Having recently spoken to 2 anesthesiologists (albeit in non-18 states), neither knew AAs even existed and both praised CRNAs. Getting them to hire AAs will be a process in many areas.

Ha! Probably true. Back to the trailblazing idea, educating anesthesiologists about AAs will take time too. Having recently spoken to 2 anesthesiologists (albeit in non-18 states), neither knew AAs even existed and both praised CRNAs. Getting them to hire AAs will be a process in many areas.

Yup. It's almost bizarre that some of them have no idea about AAs. In October I was at the ASA annual meeting and our national organization the AAAA had a big booth in the exhibit hall about AAs and AA schools. There were even several panels involving AA practice. Yet I still met a bunch of anesthesiologists AT THE CONVENTION that didn't know about AAs. I thought mid-level anesthesia was a national issue for them. Maybe it is a regional phenomenon...

Education physicians, both anesthesiologists and surgeons too, about AAs is definitely important, pretty much required in many areas, but also fun. Our school has a great medical director, an anesthesiologist, who knows a lot of people in Florida and has worked tirelessly to spread the word in the state. Finding a few doctors is really the toehold you need because then they have access to the state societies and can easily interact with other physicians.

http://www.anesthetist.org/factsaboutaas/howtohire.iphtml

Interesting read. He is the Assistant Program Director at my program.

Members don't see this ad :)
So can we say that a few of the challenges for the AA profession include:
*Salary cuts due to reform (affects everyone, not just AAs)
*Becoming nationally, not just regionally, known as a profession of excellence
*Expanding despite the political influence of CRNAs
*Avoiding becoming known as the 'cheap labor' of the anesthesiology world who can be hired for less than CRNAs but doing the same work

Fairly accurate?

So can we say that a few of the challenges for the AA profession include:
*Salary cuts due to reform (affects everyone, not just AAs)
*Becoming nationally, not just regionally, known as a profession of excellence
*Expanding despite the political influence of CRNAs
*Avoiding becoming known as the 'cheap labor' of the anesthesiology world who can be hired for less than CRNAs but doing the same work

Fairly accurate?

Sure, except really the last one. I havn't heard of this issue anywhere and AAs compete for the same jobs at the same salary levels as their nursing counterparts. Both are licensed providers and salary is pretty much determined by the market.

Sure, except really the last one. I havn't heard of this issue anywhere and AAs compete for the same jobs at the same salary levels as their nursing counterparts. Both are licensed providers and salary is pretty much determined by the market.

Yeah, I have no real basis for the last one. My thought was that perhaps one can forsee AAs, trying to break into a new area, would use salary as a way to get employers to move away from the status quo (i.e., CRNAs doing the job). Unless there's a CRNA shortage in an area, some employers might be hesitant to otherwise hire AAs, no? It makes for some tough sledding.

Yeah, I have no real basis for the last one. My thought was that perhaps one can forsee AAs, trying to break into a new area, would use salary as a way to get employers to move away from the status quo (i.e., CRNAs doing the job). Unless there's a CRNA shortage in an area, some employers might be hesitant to otherwise hire AAs, no? It makes for some tough sledding.

I suppose there's nothing stopping an AA from using a lower salary to gain a competitive advantage, but I don't really see that happening, not on a large scale at least.

Many employers everywhere are hesitant. That is where education comes in.

Yup. It's almost bizarre that some of them have no idea about AAs. In October I was at the ASA annual meeting and our national organization the AAAA had a big booth in the exhibit hall about AAs and AA schools. There were even several panels involving AA practice. Yet I still met a bunch of anesthesiologists AT THE CONVENTION that didn't know about AAs. I thought mid-level anesthesia was a national issue for them. Maybe it is a regional phenomenon...

Education physicians, both anesthesiologists and surgeons too, about AAs is definitely important, pretty much required in many areas, but also fun. Our school has a great medical director, an anesthesiologist, who knows a lot of people in Florida and has worked tirelessly to spread the word in the state. Finding a few doctors is really the toehold you need because then they have access to the state societies and can easily interact with other physicians.

http://www.anesthetist.org/factsaboutaas/howtohire.iphtml

Interesting read. He is the Assistant Program Director at my program.

Maybe it's the unfortunate acronym. When I first heard the term AA I wondered by people with an Associate of Arts were in such high demand without even a bachelor's degree! :p

EDIT: My wife says it sounds too much like "administrative assistant" :p

Ok... back to cross-referencing PA / RN educational pre-reqs and requirements for course selection....

Last edited:
Ok... back to cross-referencing PA / RN educational pre-reqs and requirements for course selection....

What's the question?

PA has hard science prereqs typical of medical school prereqs: 2 semesters each of biology, chemistry, and physics. Most also require organic chemistry, although some only require 1 semester and not 2. Anatomy & physiology is also often required. Some also want biochemistry and other assorted courses.

RN requirements seem to be biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology, psychology, nutrition, microbiology, and sometimes statistics and sociology.

PA schools want courses intended for majors. RN prereqs are usually the courses for non-majors, ie Chem 1000 level instead of 2000 level. However, as with most degrees, taking the harder class still fulfills prereq requirements if the requirement is the easier class.

When I was graduating college I was thinking of taking an extra year and getting a BSN, but I couldn't because I didn't have all the prereqs. The courses I didn't have were silly.. nutrition, developmental psychology...

You're a good chap Endee, I was just "talking out loud", but since we're on the subject now, I was x-referencing the PA and ABSN requirements in the area. (Items bolded in blue I've already taken)

PA pre-reqs below. ABSN pre-reqs are pretty much same with a few additional courses: English Literature, Interpersonal Communications, Social Science Elective, Statistics, Nutrition, Lifespan Human Development, Pharmacology, and Pathophysiology. Both programs allow you to apply with 2 courses in progress.
Prerequisite Courses

The following courses must be taken at the college level and completed with a grade of C or higher (no CLEP allowed)

1. English Composition
    any college composition course which meets the baccalaureate requirement (excluding ESL courses)
  2. General Psychology
    two semester units or three quarter units
  3. Microbiology or Bacteriology (including lab)
    three semester units or five quarter units
  4. Algebra
    calculus, statistics or any level of algebra will meet the math requirement with the exception of pre-algebra
  5. Introduction to Sociology or Cultural Anthropology
    two semester units or three quarter units
  6. General Chemistry or Introduction to Chemistry (including lab)
    equivalent to three semester units or five quarter units (may be taken at high school level)
  7. Human Anatomy (including lab)
  8. Human Physiology (including lab)
So PA path would require 16 credits (though they only ask for 12 credits). While they accept Chem (RN requires it be w/in past 5yrs so may as well take it, besides, it's a pre-req for A&P).

I can take classes italicized concurrently while taking BLS, EMT, and studying for the NET/TEAS (in case I go that route). With ACLS and GRE studies and 2 classes the following semester. I'm told I can volunteer as "3rd rider" with an ambulance group and potentially even paid on a 1 night /wk schedule)

3-4credits Microbiology (incl. lab)
3-4credits Chemistry (incl. lab)

3-4credits Human Anatomy (incl. lab)
3-4credits Human Physiology (incl. lab)

(All previous coursework thus far are A's and 1 B (advanced Literature).

The RN path would require 22 credits

4credits Microbiology (incl. lab)
4credits Chemistry (incl. lab)

4credits Human Anatomy (incl. lab)
4credits Human Physiology (incl. lab)
3credits Nutrition
3credits Lifespan Psychology

Can apply with remaining 2 classes "in progress".

3credits Pharmacology
3credits Pathophysiology

Or I can go a different direction and get a MS computer engineering degree (only 21cr based on my previous coursework) or 26cr for MS EE though that route is heavily exposed to offshoring, but I digress... :)

Priority for Acceptance

Highest priority is given to applicants who will meet the program mission of providing primary healthcare to California's medically underserved populations with:
  • Demonstrated commitment to serving the medically underserved and/or California's rural residents.
  • Demonstrated cultural competence by fluency in a language other than English spoken by one of California's underserved groups.
The following attributes will also contribute to your potential for acceptance:
  • A strong academic performance
  • Prior clinical experience
  • Excellent interpersonal & communication skills

Last edited:
In another thread about PA vs. NP, I came across this tidbit....

P.S. Another difference is that you cannot be an NP without a Masters Degree.

This is a combined FNP/PA program. It sounds a bit convoluted in that FNP and PAs attend same program and do most of the same coursework w/ a 15 credit or so difference.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/fnppa/frequently_asked_questions.html
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/fnppa/aboutprogram.html

"Both FNP and PA graduates may elect to receive a PA certificate and only FNP graduates receive an FNP certificate. The FNP/PA Program does not offer a degree and is not considered a transfer program.

FNP graduates are eligible for PA certification only if they complete the additional clinical hours and rotations required for completion of the Physician Assistant track.

The opportunity to enroll in the FNP MSN Track curriculum is available to licensed registered nurses who possess a bachelor’s of science in nursing (BSN) degree or equivalent.* Eligible applicants must apply specifically to the FNP Master's Track of the UC Davis FNP/PA Program.

Students completing the Master’s Track of this program may elect to receive one or two certificates of completion from the UC Davis School of Medicine Department of Family and Community Medicine (one for the FNP Program and one for the PA Program) and a Master of Science degree in Nursing from CSUS. Upon completion of the FNP certification and MSN degree requirements, graduates are eligible to sit for national certification with AANP and ANCC."

So in theory, after ABSN / RN, going into this combined program one can become both a PA and an FNP w/a MSN.

Any advice as to what the dis/advantages of such an approach would be?

NPs are supposed to be limited in their scope of practice to their specialty; the family practitioner won't be assisting in the OR, the PNP will be restricted to kids, etc. Having that PA cert would allow them to lateralize into any specialty without additional training/certifications.

Members don't see this ad :)
NPs are supposed to be limited in their scope of practice to their specialty; the family practitioner won't be assisting in the OR, the PNP will be restricted to kids, etc. Having that PA cert would allow them to lateralize into any specialty without additional training/certifications.

Ok, somewhere between Brad, Paseo Del Norte, and emedpa they'll have an answer to this one... :)

emedpa stated:
em, derm, ortho, neurosurg, trauma, and surgical pa's can all easily make > 125k/yr with less student debt than an md.

So I mentioned to my wife that PA's seem to have more scope/range than NP/RN since they can work across so many areas, and do what I referred to as "more medical" procedures/work.

She quickly countered out that RNs have more scope/range and can work "anywhere" (different departments) in a hospital telemetry, ob/gyn, cardio, neuro, icu, etc.... and that NPs can diagnose, prescribe, and "provide treatment", and can work in non-clinical settings - health insurance companies, administration, case work, and so on.

So, here are the question(s):

1. Can an NP have their "own practice" (be an independent healthcare provider)? PAs?

2. Who has more "scope/range" an NP or PA? (In terms of clinical areas they can work, and care they can provide (prescribe, etc.)

3. What are the various departments one would find each NP / PA clinician, comparative scope of work, and related compensation for that work? Do OR PAs make more than OR RNs or OR NPs?

4. Are there areas where an RN (not NP) would make just as much as a PA?

5. What non-clinical environments would one find RNs? PAs?

The upper range of RN salaries overlaps with the lower range of PA salaries. But those RN's probably have experience and/or are getting an hourly bonus for working nights and/or weekends and/or holidays.

Ok, somewhere between Brad, Paseo Del Norte, and emedpa they'll have an answer to this one... :)

emedpa stated:
em, derm, ortho, neurosurg, trauma, and surgical pa's can all easily make > 125k/yr with less student debt than an md.

So I mentioned to my wife that PA's seem to have more scope/range than NP/RN since they can work across so many areas, and do what I referred to as "more medical" procedures/work.

She quickly countered out that RNs have more scope/range and can work "anywhere" (different departments) in a hospital telemetry, ob/gyn, cardio, neuro, icu, etc.... and that NPs can diagnose, prescribe, and "provide treatment", and can work in non-clinical settings - health insurance companies, administration, case work, and so on.

So, here are the question(s):

1. Can an NP have their "own practice" (be an independent healthcare provider)? PAs?
Both NPs and PAs can own a practice (depending on the state). The mechanics may be different. In some states an NP can directly employ a physician to "collaborate". In a few states PAs can directly employ their supervising physician. In most cases the NP or PA forms a corporation that then hires a supervising or collaborating physician. Even in the 11 states that allow "independent" NP practice you still need a collaborative physician to bill Medicare.
2. Who has more "scope/range" an NP or PA? (In terms of clinical areas they can work, and care they can provide (prescribe, etc.)
For PAs the scope of practice is generally that of their supervising physician. A PA can literally work in any area of medicine. For NPs it depends on the state. Most NP practice acts limit the scope to the areas that the NP has training in as an NP. However, the reality of this is quite different. In Texas for example FNPs cannot work in inpatient settings. They are essentially limited to outpatient primary care which they are trained for. An ANP can work in an inpatient or outpatient setting but could not work in a critical care environment and could not see patients under 18. In other states where the BON chooses not to enforce the rules you may see a FNP running a pediatric neurosurgery ICU. On paper the PA has a broader scope. In reality it depends.

3. What are the various departments one would find each NP / PA clinician, comparative scope of work, and related compensation for that work? Do OR PAs make more than OR RNs or OR NPs?
PAs work in all areas of medicine. Its generally divided into 1/3 surgery, 1/3 specialty medicine and 1/3 primary care. The data on NPs is harder to find but are probably more working in primary care (~50%) and less working in surgery (around 2%). There are some areas that PAs dominate such as cardiovascular surgery and orthopedics. There are other areas where NPs are more common such as the NICU (NNPs). Although there are certainly PAs in the NICU and NPs in ortho.
In the OR a PA will generally make more than an RN. An NP working in the OR has the same billing ability so should make the same.

An experienced RN will probably take a pay cut moving to NP (especially moving from ICU to primary care for example). Also RNs in norther CA probably make more than most PAs and NPs because of overtime and union rules. Generally an experienced NP will make more than an RN although the economic limitations are different.
5. What non-clinical environments would one find RNs? PAs?
RNs can work in a lot of non clinical environments including insurance, case work etc. PAs can work in non clinical settings but is rare. Most of the PAs that I know that work in non clinical settings are either managers of various departments or in research. Education is non clinical also I guess. If you don't want to do clinical medicine then PA is probably not for you.

The funny thing is that the nearest medical profession to the PA profession is nursing. Nursing has multiple educational tracks that all lead to the same thing (RN). The RN certification lets the nurse practice broadly across all areas of nursing. Just like the PA can in medicine. Kind of ironic.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Wow, that is crazy! I didn't know that sort of program even existed.

Pretty cool eh? :) The more research I do, the wilder this road gets!

Here's what I found out today from some non-traditional NPs.

In addition to the architect turned CRNA, there is a journalism bachelors and a marketing bachelors that are both NPs and didn't even have an RN for the MSN program!

I'm sure many of you have heard of it before, but it's new to me. I introduce to you the - Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing program - no BSN or ABSN or RN required to become an NP. I'm loving it!

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing

Now it's really getting to be a tough choice. And due to CA budget cuts for regional colleges the same exact classes as last year are 3 weeks shorter!

Maybe I should wait for this year's budget cuts, I may be able to do a whole program in a couple of months. :p

1. ABSN RN, (1yr FT 12 months) TEAS req. (though school may waive)
  2. Straight to an MSN NP, (1yr FT 12 months to RN, another 1.5-2 PT) no GRE
  3. PA program (24 months FT), no GRE
  4. FNP/PA program (~36 months?) GRE req. for FNP
  5. FNP/PA/MPH program (~36 months) GRE req. for FNP
All 3 local universities will accept students with 2 classes "in progress", so in theory, I can get to RN in 18 months and have my NP in 2 to 2.5yrs from today via option #1 and #2 respectively. MSN NP or Case Management. (Though I hear CM pays less than NP)

The PA program would take longer due to the lack of clinical xp. Academics would take 2.5yrs total.

The combined programs would obviously take longer. Normally I would exclude option #5 since there's no additional value to the MPH given the MBA, but time wise its pretty close.

The upper range of RN salaries overlaps with the lower range of PA salaries. But those RN's probably have experience and/or are getting an hourly bonus for working nights and/or weekends and/or holidays.

In what areas of medicine?

In another thread about PA vs. NP, I came across this tidbit....

This is a combined FNP/PA program. It sounds a bit convoluted in that FNP and PAs attend same program and do most of the same coursework w/ a 15 credit or so difference.

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/fnppa/frequently_asked_questions.html
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/fnppa/aboutprogram.html

"Both FNP and PA graduates may elect to receive a PA certificate and only FNP graduates receive an FNP certificate. The FNP/PA Program does not offer a degree and is not considered a transfer program.

FNP graduates are eligible for PA certification only if they complete the additional clinical hours and rotations required for completion of the Physician Assistant track.

The opportunity to enroll in the FNP MSN Track curriculum is available to licensed registered nurses who possess a bachelor’s of science in nursing (BSN) degree or equivalent.* Eligible applicants must apply specifically to the FNP Master's Track of the UC Davis FNP/PA Program.

Students completing the Master’s Track of this program may elect to receive one or two certificates of completion from the UC Davis School of Medicine Department of Family and Community Medicine (one for the FNP Program and one for the PA Program) and a Master of Science degree in Nursing from CSUS. Upon completion of the FNP certification and MSN degree requirements, graduates are eligible to sit for national certification with AANP and ANCC."

So in theory, after ABSN / RN, going into this combined program one can become both a PA and an FNP w/a MSN.

Any advice as to what the dis/advantages of such an approach would be?

The advantage of the program is that it allows the practitioner to work under whatever license is most advantageous. The disadvantage is that to complete the FNP you have to complete your MSN at CSUS. Thats around another semester of work. Both the Davis and the Stanford primary care program came about in the early 70's when there was considerable confusion about whether NPs would be allowed to practice in California and when there was a lot of confusion over prescriptive authority. It essentially allowed RNs in those PA classes to hedge their bets. Both the Davis and the Stanford programs were a type of program called MEDEX that have largely disappeared.

The Stanford program closed in FNP track several years ago for reasons laid out here:
http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/FNP Option Change.pdf

With the NONPF pushing the DNP its really a question on how long the Davis program remains dual track.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Pretty cool eh? :) The more research I do, the wilder this road gets!

Here's what I found out today from some non-traditional NPs.

In addition to the architect turned CRNA, there is a journalism bachelors and a marketing bachelors that are both NPs and didn't even have an RN for the MSN program!

I'm sure many of you have heard of it before, but it's new to me. I introduce to you the - Entry Level Master of Science in Nursing program - no BSN or ABSN or RN required to become an NP. I'm loving it!

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/nursing/elms_nursing

Now it's really getting to be a tough choice. And due to CA budget cuts for regional colleges the same exact classes as last year are 3 weeks shorter!

Maybe I should wait for this year's budget cuts, I may be able to do a whole program in a couple of months. :p

1. ABSN RN, (1yr FT 12 months) TEAS req. (though school may waive)
  2. Straight to an MSN NP, (1yr FT 12 months to RN, another 1.5-2 PT) no GRE
  3. PA program (24 months FT), no GRE
  4. FNP/PA program (~36 months?) GRE req. for FNP
  5. FNP/PA/MPH program (~36 months) GRE req. for FNP
All 3 local universities will accept students with 2 classes "in progress", so in theory, I can get to RN in 18 months and have my NP in 2 to 2.5yrs from today via option #1 and #2 respectively. MSN NP or Case Management. (Though I hear CM pays less than NP)

The PA program would take longer due to the lack of clinical xp. Academics would take 2.5yrs total.

The combined programs would obviously take longer. Normally I would exclude option #5 since there's no additional value to the MPH given the MBA, but time wise its pretty close.

The type of class that you are looking at is called an MEPN class (or DEPN) in some areas. It stands for Masters Entry program in Nursing. The problem is the way that these programs are viewed. If you look at this subject on all-nurses you see a wide variety of responses. There are some posters (mostly in the NE) that claim to have no problem finding jobs. On the other hand you find other students who end up working in RN positions when they can't find NP jobs. This then leads to a different discussion over increased liability for NPs in RN positions. For example the University where I work has several very expensive MEPN programs. However, the students are not allowed to rotate at the university hospital and the hospital requires that all NPs have at least two years of full time nursing experience to be hired for an NP position. The nursing schools make a lot of money off these courses. Whether their grads find any jobs is a different story.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Well I'm neither a PA nor an RN, so all of this is just from second or third hand knowledge via talking to PA's/RN's or my own internet research..

Surgical PA's probably start above the upper range of RN salaries in any specialty. Newly minted primary care PA's are likely anywhere from 50-80k depending on location. Experienced RN's can easily make 50-70k depending on their work schedule. New RN's probably make anywhere from 30-45k depending on location and work schedule. Surgical PA's ranges are definitely higher, starting maybe 70-90 and increasing easily over 100 with experience.

Any of the PA's here can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think RN salaries change depending on specialty like PA salaries do, they seem pretty consistent.

David,

Thanks for all the responses. Very, very interesting. While the Stanford Program shut down due to not having a nursing school, the UC Davis, while currently partnered with CSUS is opening the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing (founded by Intel $$$). There isn't much info out there for it yet, but we're keeping our eyes on it.

So current CA NPs that never earned their masters will have to go back and get their MSN or be back to RN - that's interesting. We hear a lot about CRNAs and others in the profession who were not "grandfathered" and are back to being RNs.

Among them a school nurse who now has to have a masters, she's not sure she'll do it, do RN work, or do something else.

To me, your answer to #1 about an NP or PA having their own practice is very attractive.

Endee,

Can't speak for any other place, but in Northern CA, the RNs we know seem to be pulling down good money.

One is a long time RN 10+ yrs with limited educational credentials and with OT pulls in ~$100k. Another is a CRNA about 7-8yrs in?

She works 2 days a week and makes ~$100k. FT she'd make between $180k and $215 or so with OT.

The concept of a professional getting paid OT is new to me. MBAs, EEs, etc. work like dogs - 60hrs a week is 'normal' and 'average' is 80+hrs. There's no such thing as OT. Either you work it or lose your job, so everyone works it, no questions asked. You may get a bonus, but at many companies its been a 10-20% pay cut and 70-80+hrs is now the new 'normal' according to many of my peers.

The idea of working part time as a CRNA and making $50k, $60k+ or more or simply working past 8hrs in a given day and make 1.5X or 2X on weekends/holidays is pretty wild from my perspective. 4 to 1 patient ratio here vs. the madness that we saw in NYC when my wife gave birth sounds pretty sweet.

We also know a couple of nontraditional MSN NPs that are new to the business and making $75k+

As a new RN, I would plan to leverage my MBA and PMP to make much better money than a new RN would get paid, and work on 1 day on weekends to advance the clinical side. (Got that tip from an RN Manager who worked as an RN for 6 months, got married, had kids and only worked as an RN 1x per week or less sometimes for 15yrs and came back FT when they offered her the Nurse Manager position.)

How often does one have to re-certify for PA / NP / RN credentials in CA? Anyone know? We know one that just did and all she said was "every few years"....

Not surprised about higher numbers in CA, I guess. All of my estimates were Florida based. I don't know of a lot of nurses around here (working as an RN only) making over 100k.

The funny thing is that the nearest medical profession to the PA profession is nursing.
David Carpenter, PA-C

If you mean np I would agree.
If you meant rn I would disagree.
I think md is actually the "nearest medical profession to pa" due to the similarities and overlap in our training. that's why it is said that "pa's train in the medical model". that's also why folks talk about a pa to md bridge and no one talks about an np to md bridge.

most of the nurses I know make 60-80k. the top of the rn pay scale at our hospital for charge nurses with > 10 yrs experience is 38 dollars/hr.
those who make >100k work agency and work 60+ hrs/week and have to buy their own benefits.
I don't know any crna's who make less than 140k.
all of the experienced em pa's I know make at least 110k. many make >125k. new grad pa's in em can make 90k+ to start. a friend of mine just signed for 92 k right out of school for 14 twelve hr shifts/mo.

How often does one have to re-certify for PA / NP / RN credentials in CA? Anyone know? We know one that just did and all she said was "every few years"....

I used to work as a pa in california.
state license recert every 2 years(just pay a fee).
pa natl exam every 6 years with 100 hrs of cme documented every 2 yrs(this applies to any state)

If you mean np I would agree.
If you meant rn I would disagree.
I think md is actually the "nearest medical profession to pa" due to the similarities and overlap in our training. that's why it is said that "pa's train in the medical model". that's also why folks talk about a pa to md bridge and no one talks about an np to md bridge.

PA - Multiple academic degrees leading to the same basic certification (PA-C). Competency based practice tied to certification. Ability to move laterally within any medical specialty with minimal barriers (now).

RN - Multiple academic degrees leading to the same basic certification (RN). Comptency based practice tied to certification (NCLEX). Ability to move laterally within any nursing specialty with minimal barriers.

MD - One academic degree with ability to practice tied to the academic degree and residency. Limited ability to move into other areas of medicine once specialty is finished. Competency based to some extent but essentially practice is tied to the degree and residency.

NP - One academic degree with ability to practice tied to academic degree (DNP not withstanding). On paper, limited ability to move into other areas of advanced practice nursing without doing another certification. Competency based to some extent but practice is largely tied to degree and type of NP program.

Tell me which resembles the other one the most.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Not surprised about higher numbers in CA, I guess. All of my estimates were Florida based. I don't know of a lot of nurses around here (working as an RN only) making over 100k.

I know a lot of RNs making over $100,000/year.
However, they do work a considerable number of hours.

What many of you guys may not know is that there are many nurses making $80-90k/year without overtime and working 4 x 12 hour shifts and taking the next 5 days off.

Some RNs choose to work 9-5 type shifts for 5 days a week.

That's how it works in numerous hospitals and depending on your department. You work 3 or 4 days of 12 hour shifts as a nurse and you get the next 4-5 days off.

Last edited:
After how many years of experience?

What many of you guys may not know is that there are many nurses making $80-90k/year without overtime and working 4 x 12 hour shifts and taking the next 5 days off.

That's how it works in numerous hospitals and depending on your department. You work 3 or 4 days of 12 hour shifts as a nurse and you get the next 4-5 days off.

After how many years of experience?

Had friends do it (50-60 hours/week) two years out of school...

I made six figures, 11 years out, doing house supervisor, 36 hours a week...
Common salary for that position in AZ

Also same salary, nine years out, working three 12 hour shifts, weekends (Baylor)

You could make make that kind of money as registry, before the economy...Not sure if many hospitals are using registry as much...

More common (acute care hospital, larger city) w/ 10 years exp is around 70K (base, 36 hours/ week)

most of the nurses I know make 60-80k. the top of the rn pay scale at our hospital for charge nurses with > 10 yrs experience is 38 dollars/hr.
those who make >100k work agency and work 60+ hrs/week and have to buy their own benefits.
all of the experienced em pa's I know make at least 110k. many make >125k. new grad pa's in em can make 90k+ to start. a friend of mine just signed for 92 k right out of school for 14 twelve hr shifts/mo.

I'm guessing those CRNAs work full-time. Some of the "inside" info we get of some of the benefits is pretty amazing. For ex. (I don't know how "standard" this is) we know a CRNA that tells us if they work 10yrs at their facility they get health benefits for life, and the coverage they're under is the same as the MDs.

One of my friend's daughter is a PA out of (BU?) $85k+ starting with a $10k bump after 1yr right out of school. Though that would be a pay cut from my perspective.... however, for my comp, it's 50-60hr weeks minimum with average being above 60hrs a week.

$92k for 14 days work (12 hr shifts) a month is crazy! Now I'm just getting downright pissed off at myself for not doing this 20yrs ago! :mad:

I am SOOO IN that you have no idea! The hell with this 50-60hr/wk up to 80hr/wk when busy not just 14 days a month, but ALL days of the month.

At the hours a typical colleague works in our industry, they'd clock the hours for the equivalent of $184k (and I know none that make that much - overwhelmingly it's between $75k/yr for younger ones starting out to ~ $150k/yr with "bonuses" running from as little as 1% to 10% - 15% in great years) - big % bonuses usually going to employees making $30-60k which have less variables to contend with.

Besides, the bonus calculations depend on how well the company did, how well your division did, how well your group did and how well you did - so all the stars would have to align before you see any good bonus money.

And it doesn't matter if you're a star performer with top bonus, you can be on the street any time due to any of a dozen factors.

What is "working a considerable number of hours"?

What does the schedule for a month look like?

Haven't met any of those agency or contract RNs...

I used to work as a pa in california.
state license recert every 2 years(just pay a fee).
pa natl exam every 6 years with 100 hrs of cme documented every 2 yrs(this applies to any state)

Is that the same national exam that you take to be a PA? CME?

How often do RNs recertify? Do they take the same test (NCLEX) to recertify or have an alternate venue?

Last edited:
CME = continuing medical education, a requirement for a career field in medicine, which is always evolving.

for more info on PA certification, check here:

http://www.nccpa.net/CertificationProcess.aspx

Thanks Brad.

The PA programs are a bit.... strange?

There are a few program options around here so I'm comparing them and come across some interesting differences.

At Samuel Merritt, for their "entry-level" Masters PA program you need a bachelors w/ a 3.0 GPA (not that that's a problem) and when you finish the 27month (7 semesters - 4 in yr1, 3 in yr2) full-time program you have a Masters degree.

At UC Davis the PA program is 24months FT (8 quarters) and the program offers no degree, only a certificate (also true for the FNP side at UCD - no degree just certificate), so while in theory you can end up as an FNP and PA the program only grants certificates.

There are also some other differences in terms of pre-requisites and the curriculum itself.

1. How common is this in healthcare education?
  2. In practice, are there any differences in what a PA via certificate and PA via masters are allowed to do?
  3. There is also no accrediting body on the FNP side. Is that a red flag? (is it just this school that has no accrediting body or there just is none for NPs?)
On the NP/RN side a number of questions come to mind.

In practice, is there any difference between the following in terms of their nursing work / scope of responsibilities (what they can and can't do)?

RN w/ no degrees just H.S.
RN associates
RN bachelors
RN masters
RN doctorate

Are there different levels of the NCLEX for an RN with an associates vs. an RN with a masters? If it's the same test, and everyone ends up with the RN, what's the difference between them in clinical settings? How would one know or distinguish between an RN w/ an associates vs. a bachelors or no degree?

I also checked out the NCLEX 1st time pass rates at the schools in the region and was surprised to see a 2yr associates school have higher pass rates than more expensive 4yr schools and even masters programs. I found that to be very odd.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If it's the same test for all, it speaks highly of some associate programs and very poorly of some BSN and MSN programs. Though I can understand if there are different levels of the NYCLEX for different degrees.

Sierra College (associates) - 92.86% - minimal cost ($20-30/credit)
Samuel Merritt College - BSN (bachelors) - 87.93% (~$30k+?)
Samuel Merritt College - MSN (masters) - 88.24% (~$50k+)

Is the PANCE is the same for everyone?

What options are there available for PAs that would like to work in anesthesia in non-AA states?

And how common / rare is it for a PA to do RN-CRNA to do anesthesia work?

How would an NP get to a CRNA? For BSN RN I understand they work ICU and go to CRNA program, but doesn't an NP potentially face hirer liabilities working in ICU in order to get to a CRNA program? How common / rare would be for a NP to go back for CRNA?

Apologies for so many questions, but I find the PA/NP track attractive to be autonomous / independent practitioner, and it would be great to combine that for anesthesia (ie. independent practice in anesthesia w/ ability to see patients as a private practice with 60% or so of the work being primary care and 40% contract anesthesia for local hospitals, clinics, private practices, etc.).

Last edited:
various pa programs grant a certificate, a.s., b.s., ms, mph, mpas, or mms.
any pa who graduates from any of these can take the natl exam(pance). the recert exam (panre) is taken every 6 yrs.
a few states(3 or so) require a masters. a few others require a bs. in most you can practice with any certificate or degree.
most folks just go to a program offering the next degree up from the one they currently have.
the difference between a certificate and a masters(aside from tuition...) is a research course and a thesis and a different set of prereqs and the gre..

Last edited by a moderator:
various pa programs grant a certificate, a.s., b.s., ms, mph, mpas, or mms.
any pa who graduates from any of these can take the natl exam(pance). the recert exam (panre) is taken every 6 yrs.
a few states(3 or so) require a masters. a few others require a bs. in most you can practice with any certificate or degree.
most folks just go to a program offering the next degree up from the one they currently have.
the difference between a certificate and a masters(aside from tuition...) is a research course and a thesis and a different set of prereqs and the gre..

Thanks emedpa.

Are there different levels of the PANCE for an PA with an associates vs. an PA with a masters? Are there any differences in scope of work / responsibilities / compensation, etc. between PAs with certificates vs. degrees? Any differences between PAs with a BS vs. an MS? (aside from the few states that require BS - doesn't look like CA requires a BS)

Thanks emedpa.

Are there different levels of the PANCE for an PA with an associates vs. an PA with a masters? Are there any differences in scope of work / responsibilities / compensation, etc. between PAs with certificates vs. degrees? Any differences between PAs with a BS vs. an MS? (aside from the few states that require BS - doesn't look like CA requires a BS)

no difference to any of the above questions.
pa's (outside the federal system which pays more for adv. degrees) get paid because they have passed pance, not based on their degree.
I have an ms and work with folks with certificates through doctorates. we all make exactly the same.

Thanks for the correction.

how about a pa who later decided they really wanted to do operative anesthesia?
I agree that it would be silly to plan to do both right out of the gate.
I do know 1 np who later did crna who now has a great job using both certs but it wasn't the original plan. he works with an md anesthesia group and covers the o.r., icu, er,and pain clinic. 180k/yr to start with this group several yrs ago( 5 or 6) right out of school. an aa/pa could probably swing the same gig.

I wonder if NP to CRNA is more common than CRNA to NP....

Would be really nice if AA was available in all 50 states (or at least in CA).

PA / AA combo sounds best to me, but not in CA.

Also wondered what would be a competitive PA application nowadays aside from meeting the minimum requirements.

I suspect Paramedics would have an edge over EMT, and for the FNP/PA program RNs may have preference.

I think I'll call the school.

Also wondered what would be a competitive PA application nowadays aside from meeting the minimum requirements.
I suspect Paramedics would have an edge over EMT, and for the FNP/PA program RNs may have preference.

really depends on the program.
some favor experience over gpa/gre. others are all about the #s and really don't care about hce.
very few pa programs are easy enough to get into that just the min will do though.
however with 150 programs out there if you apply to a bunch you will get some interviews and likely get in somewhere if you don't spit on the interviewer or make fun of his tie.

emedpa, you were not kidding!

Incredible discrepancies between programs.

At Hofstra's PA program one only requires 100hrs volunteer clinical experience.

At UC Davis PA program (to be competitive) they require 4000hrs paid clinical experience.

And the search continues......

Mental note: Don't spit on interviewers or make fun of their ties. :p

One self studied and scored so well on the MCAT that they were accepted into a medical school without all the prereqs.

Whoever told you that is full of it. No one is admitted to med school without the prereqs. The things learned in prereqs is what you're expected to know on day one of med school.

Who knows what unique circumstances may have come into play? Could have been a perfect score and other unique factors, what school, what year, who they know, etc. Maybe their father was director of admissions at the school, maybe their parents donates millions of dollars to the school, who knows for sure?

I certainly wouldn't bet my life that it didn't happen. I've seen too many strange situations throughout my life, and there is always power, money, and politics at play behind the scenes.

Anyway, that's a different thread - probably the one where I was considering med school. That consideration is over for me. Don't have millions, my parents are not on admin committees, nor high profile political or powerful figures, a perfect MCAT is beyond my capabilities, etc.

Last edited:
I disagree...

I went into nursing: accidentally, at the urging of other RNs (with whom I worked alongside), and at the promise of a "guaranteed job"

I knew it would be stable, and safe...

I have made GREAT money...

Turns out I am good at it...Better than most...

I work to take care of my family...

I'd rather be running a backhoe (long story); See "Medicine sucks" thread in "gen residency" forum;

Anyway... I am here, and will give the best that I can

I was not born to be a nurse, but I will do it to the best of my ability

FYI, I teach it now, and can say (as can my students), that I do it well

I find your assessment very honest and true for a lot of us in different career fields. Some of us try to do our best and get recognition for it and we get comfortable in that position even if it's not what we ever expected to do.

PA - Multiple academic degrees leading to the same basic certification (PA-C). Competency based practice tied to certification. Ability to move laterally within any medical specialty with minimal barriers (now).

RN - Multiple academic degrees leading to the same basic certification (RN). Comptency based practice tied to certification (NCLEX). Ability to move laterally within any nursing specialty with minimal barriers.

MD - One academic degree with ability to practice tied to the academic degree and residency. Limited ability to move into other areas of medicine once specialty is finished. Competency based to some extent but essentially practice is tied to the degree and residency.

NP - One academic degree with ability to practice tied to academic degree (DNP not withstanding). On paper, limited ability to move into other areas of advanced practice nursing without doing another certification. Competency based to some extent but practice is largely tied to degree and type of NP program.

Tell me which resembles the other one the most.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Very well put, David- a new way of looking at this topic. I enjoy reading your posts on this forum as well as allnurses...

We have a relative that is an anesthesiologist - MD - in her early 30s.

I'd rather be put down by an AA or CRNA that had some real life xp, kids, etc.

People that don't know her like we do may trust her, but we know her all too well....

What does "real life xp, kids" have to do with administering anesthesia competently? Surgery can and, sometimes, does have complications. When things go wrong during surgery, you want a good anesthesiologist to act quickly. Personally, I wouldn't trust the lives of my family with anything less.

I think it funny that many of us in healthcare think our education is the toughest thing around. Even though I have 37 or 38 years...well crap I'm not going to count anymore...in nursing (clinical, education, and admin) I started off with no experience. I welcome anyone who can come into this profession and I especially like those who have been in other fields as you have a different perspective. When I was teaching, we were swamped by laid off GM workers who saw all the newspaper ads for nursing and enrolled into our program. At first I was pissed off because many were seeing $$ signs. Most however, turned out to be great. We're all just people trying to survive while government tries to screw us over. I really don't care that you be like Mother Theresa, just that you do a good job when you're working with me.

You might also consider teaching in international schools if you like to travel. The kids are a lot better than those in public schools in the states, according to the teachers I've talked to. I did 4 years as a school nurse in Bangladesh at an American International School where my wife was teaching. While in Hawaii making big bucks we were able to save $.10. Know how much of my salary was mine in Bangladesh...100%. I didn't contribute one dime to the IRS. :smuggrin:

Sorry if I used the wrong word, but I'm not in nursing school so the personal aspect of your comment may have been unnecessary.

Actually, weary is the correct word to use depending on the desired meaning. Used in the original context it would mean that the RNs are "tired" of people becoming direct entry NPs and many RNs are. In addition, they are leery of them, as well.

To the OP:

I read most of your posts and I'm wondering if going into health care would be the best bang for your buck. It seems that you are lacking most of the prerequisites for just about any program that will earn you a decent salary; taking these into account plus whatever program you get into will take you a long time (at least 4-5 years.) Also, just because you take these courses doesn't mean you will automatically gain admission. You sound like a motivated guy but you are going to be competing either against people with strong backgrounds in the sciences or significant health care experience, which many programs require. Most programs are very competitive and some administrators may view your career change negatively (as you have seen from some of the comments posted here.) Even many CC RN programs are increasingly hard to get into and have long wait times for admission. Around where I live it can be up to 2 years to get into! All that and it can be a tough field that is not really anything that you're used to. You will be around sick and dying people and it can get really stressful. I don't know if you've shadowed anyone in a field that you're interested in, but I would in order to make sure that you will like healthcare before you spend a significant amount of time to do something you may not like. If I were in your shoes I would go to law school or become an actuary (which you can do incrementally and earn while you learn.) Both fields earn good coin and will take you far less time to break into. If you decide health care is right for you, good luck.

Last edited: