Paramedic looking for a career change...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoadingMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Not really sure how to start this post other than introducing myself. Right now I am a 25 year old male paramedic. I’ve been in EMS for about four years now and I am looking to move on to better opportunities and better growth but the dilemma I’m running into is where.

If I was 18 years old again I would of most likely choose the physician assistant route but seeing that I am 25 now and will need to start from scratch I am not sure if I can afford to go through all the schooling necessary while being a single male by myself paying bills.

The careers that interest me have been Biomedical engineering, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Dietitian and Physical Therapist. I decided not to pursue physical therapy due to the change of requirements requiring a masters degree to now requiring a doctoral degree. Biomedical engineer is still on my mind but I am not completely sure about pursuing due to the lack of jobs and the lack of ability to work while pursuing the degree.

I saw a bridge program for paramedics to nurses which interested me but I am not sure if nursing is the right fit for me. For example I love taking care of people and really helping someone through a rough time but the sad reality of the medical field is majority of the people we see or treat do not require it and it’s always a drunk or someone with some form of mental disorder having a panic attack. After a while i can see how it would burn me out or really anyone. What I love about nursing is that it offers many opportunities and different career paths but at the same time I am not sure if I find that to be the only reason why I would pursue nursing. I do like that you can work as a nurse while attending NP school but at the same time I dislike it because I can see why NP will be looked down upon from other healthcare professionals. I like the Physician assistant over NP due to the amount of clinical hours one needs to complete during the program and how a PA has more luxury to switch specialities if they want to. For example I want to work within the sports medicine area of a mid level provider but I do not believe it would be as simple for a NP compared to PA. The only turn off for me when it comes to PA school is the lack of ability to work and pay for my bills while in school compared to NP I’ll be able to do that.

After saying this I do not want the misconception that I look down on either the PA or NP because I don’t. I think both fields have great professionals and both play a hit role in the health care system. I just am not sure which one is right for me.

I apologize for the rant but I am just not sure what I want to do and maybe I’m just looking for some wisdom and advice from people who have taken such paths or had any recommendations on other paths or what someone might of done differently. Thank you for your time and reading my post!

Members don't see this ad.

There have been other paramedics who have asked the same question in this forum, there’s a lot of information there for you. It sounds like you’ve already made up your mind to go the PA route. Just keep in mind nursing is much more cost effective and will lead you to the same destination. Good luck on your decision, and read those other forum posts for more guidance.

It sounds like the PA route is a bit more suitable for you. Go for it! That said, I think you have a lot of opportunities with both; it's very unlikely that you make a choice and then later regret it and wish you'd got the other route.