Security Clearance Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavaor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a call that I would have an interview regarding my security clearance. I was unaware these are done? What should I expect? The guy wasn't very nice and not quick to work with my clerkship schedule. I have to meet him over my lunch time and he said it will hopefully take no more than an hour but I dont have an hour to devote.

Members don't see this ad.

cavaor said:
I just got a call that I would have an interview regarding my security clearance. I was unaware these are done? What should I expect? The guy wasn't very nice and not quick to work with my clerkship schedule. I have to meet him over my lunch time and he said it will hopefully take no more than an hour but I dont have an hour to devote.

I was an active duty officer for 13 years before going to med school and I never got interviewed for my security clearance. I had to answer a few questions about Tailhook however :oops:

I would maybe think back or go over your application to see if there's anything that may be questionable. Travel outside the US, foriegn born parents, large sums of money in numbered accounts, that kind of thing. Money troubles like bankruptcy or debt can raise a flag too. Ever been a member of a group that advocates the overthrow of the US government?

Spang

I wouldn't stress this - be very honest, that's what they're looking for. Subjects such as drugs and drinking will come up in this interview, BE HONEST or it will come back to bite you. Depending on how far you're going to be cleared you may be required to take a Polygraph. The form you filled out (SF86) will be the basis for many questions, make sure that it was correct, if there is info missing bring it along to the interview because questions may come up as to why it was left out.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
cavaor said:

My initial secret clearance was strictly fill out the form.

When I was selected for flight status/school, I had to upgrade to top secret. That required a cursory interview with a background investigator from Defense Investigative Service, plus a routine MMPI (personality test with rubber-stamp interview with psychiatrist). This was years ago, and I don't know if they still do all that jazz.

But as others have said, just state the facts and be upfront. They don't expect you to have been a choir boy your entire life.

Well, I had it. I Was told there would likely be multiple interviews. Nothing came up really. They just verified the answers my forms had. What a waste of time! My foreign board parent didn't come up however I Was asked about how much I would owe in student loans.

trinityalumnus said:
My initial secret clearance was strictly fill out the form.

When I was selected for flight status/school, I had to upgrade to top secret. That required a cursory interview with a background investigator from Defense Investigative Service, plus a routine MMPI (personality test with rubber-stamp interview with psychiatrist). This was years ago, and I don't know if they still do all that jazz.

But as others have said, just state the facts and be upfront. They don't expect you to have been a choir boy your entire life.

TA:

I had none of that. No MMPI, no interview, nothing! All I ever had access to was Mode 4, the Card of the Day and the overhead message anyhow!

Spang

deuist said:
I'm still waiting to hear back on the status of my security clearance. Is there a way that I (an HPSP student) can see what my level is now?

You could ask your security manager to look you up, but I'm betting you don't know who that is.

Sometimes they write it in on your orders. Have any recent orders?

deuist said:
Unfortunately, my most recent orders were my travel orders for COT, which I received two weeks after my commissioning. My security clearance was listed as "Unknown."

I wouldn't really sweat it unless you have a reason to. If you haven't heard it's either good or it's in progress. If it was bad, I'm sure they'd get with you to take away your money.

MoosePilot said:
I wouldn't really sweat it unless you have a reason to. If you haven't heard it's either good or it's in progress. If it was bad, I'm sure they'd get with you to take away your money.

No reason to have it right now. I just want to be able to say, "I've got clearance, baby!"

deuist said:
No reason to have it right now. I just want to be able to say, "I've got clearance, baby!"

You don't really want to tell anyone you've got it anyway. One, everyone has one. Two, conceivably if you've got one worth crowing about it could make you a target for foreign intel.

When talking with my security manager, he told me the average backlog for clearances is running around 2 years. Not very timely.

In order to be commissioned, you were likely issued an "interim secret" clearance or are just "pending investigation".

My most recent re-certification sat pending for about four months and then was reviewed and re-issued in less than a week. That is lightning fast, don't expect those results.

Don't worry about it, it's nothing you need until you go on AD.