Secondary Q: industrial internship = research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microTAS

ulna you didn't
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q:
I was a research and development intern at a biochemical company. Did anyone list such industrial internships as "research experiences" in the secondaries? If so, were you required to send a letter of recommendation from your boss?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

microTAS said:
Q:
I was a research and development intern at a biochemical company. Did anyone list such industrial internships as "research experiences" in the secondaries? If so, were you required to send a letter of recommendation from your boss?

Thanks in advance.

I worked for Dow Chemical as a summer intern; my supervisor was more than happy to write a recommendation letter. However I had to discuss with him what I could and and could not say regarding the research that I worked on (you know that contract that you probably signed before and after working at the company). In reality, there was pretty much no limit on what I could say, but this will vary according to your project.

I worked at BMS, listed the project in my 2ndary, and an eval from my preceptor played a key role in my application. If you consider the work you did in industry significant to your application, then you should most assuredly solicit an LoR from your boss.

Thanks for the advice BDavis and Gfunk. I'm writing to my former boss right now. Too bad this is so last-minute though!