Looking for Secondary Advice: PhD Research Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snaketail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently pre-writing some common secondary essays. A handful of the programs to which I am applying ask something to the effect of: "Please describe your primary research interests for the PhD portion of dual degree". The short version of my question: How specific should this interest be?

While I really enjoy my lab and have a really strong relationship with my PI, I am not particularly interested in doing my PhD on my current research topic. Moreover, while I am fairly confident what type of graduate program I would like to apply into, I am interested in trying labs/fields different from the one in which I currently work. Should I avoid expressing indecision in these essays? Is it a red flag to not have a specific research interest to speak of in these essays? I have been told that I should present a broad project that I could see myself pursuing, yet I worry this will come off as insincere if it doesn't really match my past research experiences.

I'm also guessing that similar questions will come up in interviews, and I am also curious how others have handled these questions in the past. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would write about what you're interested in and list a few potential mentors to show you have done the homework and know that the school is a good fit for you.

I don't think you need to present a broad project, but demonstrate interest in a field.

Reactions: 1 user