second thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
im not sure if i have been depressed lately because of the whole corona virus, but i have been having second thoughts lately about dental school. i just feel like dentistry is not how it used to be. i am going to be a d1 this fall and was fortunate enough to receive the hpsp. i just think to myself, dentistry has been on the decline in the last few years (or maybe longer) - no idea why us world report gives it the best job lol. well anyways, it will take me at least 8 years to own a practice and i just feel like 8 years from now, dso's could have taken over the market completely and will overwork and underpay us. idk i guess i just need some reassurance that this really is in fact what i want to do. i have been a dental assistant for the past two years since graduating college, so i know just from the two years how insurance is bs and how backbreaking, stressful, etc dentistry is. the closer i am to starting school it scares me, but im also excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
With HPSP and no school debt you can put in your time and then have complete and total freedom to work wherever/however you want. The US is enormous, you’ll be alright.

Reactions: 1 user
What would be your alternative? Medicine and pharmacy isnt any better lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HPSP will give you a huge edge. Dentistry will be a decent investment if no debt.

However, just remember signing up for dentistry is signing up to be a small business owner, associating forever will demoralize you.

Look what is happening now during this pandemic, doctors are in high demand, even nurses are getting offers $4000 a week during this crisis (I am in the NY/NJ/CT tristate area). Medicine is almost recession proof, dentistry is not. Youre on your own in dentistry, no one will be looking out for you and the public will not sympathize as they do with MDs for their concerns. You will be responsible for your own retirement, benefits, and insurances to have “small business freedom.”

Especially with what is going on, I would be cautious. The dental industry is going to change after this pandemic I am positive.

I am newer grad associate pedo Dentist a few years out and am currently unemployed during this crisis due to my offices being forced to close, trying to live off savings with dismal health insurance. Times are rough right now and this will ripple for a while. The grass isnt always greener but Medicine (minus the contamination risk) looks much better right now.

Good luck

HPSP will give you a huge edge. Dentistry will be a decent investment if no debt.

However, just remember signing up for dentistry is signing up to be a small business owner, associating forever will demoralize you.

Look what is happening now during this pandemic, doctors are in high demand, even nurses are getting offers $4000 a week during this crisis (I am in the NY/NJ/CT tristate area). Medicine is almost recession proof, dentistry is not. Youre on your own in dentistry, no one will be looking out for you and the public will not sympathize as they do with MDs for their concerns. You will be responsible for your own retirement, benefits, and insurances to have “small business freedom.”

Especially with what is going on, I would be cautious. The dental industry is going to change after this pandemic I am positive.

I am newer grad associate pedo Dentist a few years out and am currently unemployed during this crisis due to my offices being forced to close, trying to live off savings with dismal health insurance. Times are rough right now and this will ripple for a while. The grass isnt always greener but Medicine (minus the contamination risk) looks much better right now.

Good luck
i just feel like since ive been in the dental field for the past two years ive gotten so deep into it and made lots of connections. you know? i know im young, but not really especially with all the years of school left.

OP. You're in an enviable position. You can approach dentistry from a debt free situation. It can't get better than that. I will agree with other posters that most of us went into dentistry for the lifestyle and ability to own our own practices. Unfortunately .... that lifestyle is slowly eroding with Corp Dentistry. Butttttt ..... there is still time to find that rural area with fewer Corps. You have time. Going rural is what I would do if I was you.

As for dentistry vs. medicine. Well ... this has been discussed so many times. The fact is .... medicine is recession proof and there are more opportunities. but please remember that most physicians are EMPLOYEES, work LONG hours, on-call, etc. etc. You mention money. Money is important, but choosing a profession based soley on money is not wise. Trust me. No amount of money made is ever enough. You can make a ton of money, live the life of a doctor, spend and not invest wisely ...... and be a BROKE doctor. As you get older .... money becomes less important. Life and time become more important.

If your direction is dentistry and you truly want to be a dentist. Stay the course. Go rural. Own your own practice. Be your own boss. Stay humble. Don't over-leverage yourself into depreciating assets. Save for those inevitable recessions. This will be my 4th or 5th recession. Yes .. they are painfull, but they all end in time and life goes on afterwards.

Stay the course.

Reactions: 6 users
In this pandemic:
IMG_3011.JPG

Just kidding. I have tremendous respect to physicians and other frontline healthcare professionals. And I fully understand that a lot of dentists are suffering economic hardships due to business closure during this time.

1585061756235.png

If this diagram gives you a headache, congrats! You were meant to be a dentist
God bless physicians. Couldn't pay me enough to want to learn physiology beyond an exam.

If it is a strictly money consideration, with your no debt status, and having an income via the hpsp, you can be way ahead of any medical/dental student by being able to make investments far earlier, which over a lifetime of growth will be significant. The route via the military affords you the opportunity to specialize while getting paid as well. The key is to put the money you make now into an investment vehicle of your choosing.

im not sure if i have been depressed lately because of the whole corona virus, but i have been having second thoughts lately about dental school. i just feel like dentistry is not how it used to be. i am going to be a d1 this fall and was fortunate enough to receive the hpsp. i just think to myself, dentistry has been on the decline in the last few years (or maybe longer) - no idea why us world report gives it the best job lol. well anyways, it will take me at least 8 years to own a practice and i just feel like 8 years from now, dso's could have taken over the market completely and will overwork and underpay us. idk i guess i just need some reassurance that this really is in fact what i want to do. i have been a dental assistant for the past two years since graduating college, so i know just from the two years how insurance is bs and how backbreaking, stressful, etc dentistry is. the closer i am to starting school it scares me, but im also excited.

well, you are ahead of most people financially by going to school with HPSP.

i mean your right, but medicine i feel like you have better opportunity of making more money.

Depends, I have a friend who's making 360k as an associate dentist compared to another friend who did 7 years med/residency making 250k both working 4.5 days a week, neither specialized and my dentist friend has 3 years of salary on him as well. The grass is not always greener. My brother had to leave thanksgiving to repair a broken penis, at 10 o'clock at night because he was on call, and my brother spent 10 years getting to where he was with 250k in debt. So basically more than half of all the dental students in the US would envy your situation with your scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
luckily i do want to practice rural! but 8 years from now who knows, corp could have taken that away too!

luckily i do want to practice rural! but 8 years from now who knows, corp could have taken that away too!
Yeah one of the reasons I declined the HPSP was because of the time commitment. The idea of being debt free is nice but the next 8 years are made up for you (4 of school, 4 of military)

Yeah one of the reasons I declined the HPSP was because of the time commitment. The idea of being debt free is nice but the next 8 years are made up for you (4 of school, 4 of military)
but then again its better than paying off loans for the next 30 years? especially if you plan to open your own practice, everything is going digital now so add more loans on top of your student loans. good luck buying a nice house. idk am i right guys?

I'm also curious why you would think that any corporation "owns" anything. Budweiser doesn't "own" the % of the market that they have, they just produce that much. There's no rule or law in any market saying that they have exclusive rights, that's an illegal monopoly. Just because they're expanding doesn't mean you can't compete. Remember, dentistry is expensive, so it leaves out a lot of consumers simply because of pricing. DSO's serve an underserved market with cheaper pricing and advertising, that's not a bad thing. Also they're not that reputable because their model is treating people like a number, which people with money and options don't like. So even with corporate owning a large share of the market due to cost and debt of dentists, there will always be a market for service minded providers.

Reactions: 3 users
So? You’re in Dental school anyway for 4 then you have a guaranteed job for 4 years and GI Bill benefits afterwards. And no debt. The military isn’t this crazy scary thing people make it out to be.

but then again its better than paying off loans for the next 30 years? especially if you plan to open your own practice, everything is going digital now so add more loans on top of your student loans. good luck buying a nice house. idk am i right guys?
It depends on which school you go to. You didn't say which school you plan on attending, but if you only got accepted to a 300k+ school, then you should definitely take the HPSP. But if you'll be attending a Texas school for 150-200k, maybe the HPSP isn't the best option. You gotta figure out what's best for you

So? You’re in Dental school anyway for 4 then you have a guaranteed job for 4 years and GI Bill benefits afterwards. And no debt. The military isn’t this crazy scary thing people make it out to be.
4 years is a lot of time man. I know us dental students are still young and have our entire lives ahead of us, but to think that I won't be able to move where I want and make my own career decisions until I'm 30 years old and out of the military is daunting

If in doubt don't do it. It seems it is all about money for you. You need to love dentistry do go through all the grueling s..t in school and later

Dentistry is not easy by any means. You will have self doubt even more in your first year. But knowing that you can literally be financially free a couple years after graduation if you want to makes it the best gig out there. Roughly speaking of course because you can be financially free in a lot of ways but financially free with little risk.

If it is about the money quit now and go do real estate or stocks because you will be very disappointed with your career if it is about the money. Granted you can do very well in dentistry but you won't be wealthy (small chance unless you are a Kushner). But one thing you need to come to terms with is if you like using your hands and being physical day in and day out. I know I like it starting at 8 am and being in a non life threatening medical profession where I get to use my hands and time just flies by and then all of the sudden it is 5pm. Never have to worry about life or death - unless you're OMFS or Anesthesia for residency training. And you can really practice dentistry how you want with no hospital politics or loopholes to go through to actually give patients treatment. What amount of money is good for you? I say anything $500k or less - you are in the right profession for money. But if you are trying to make millions then you might be disappointed.

Last edited:
I would echo that if you don't want your own practice someday (it doesn't have to be right away) then go into medicine.

you want to make money for sure? go work in investment banking LOL

Trust me when I say this, in the USA, its super competitive to find a good paying job. One thing about grad school in healthcare (med, dental) is that you dont really have to deal with that bs after. You get your degree, and you work.

I don't know you, so take this advice with a huge grain of salt...

If I were in your shoes I would just do what most interested me.

I've made little money and I've made dental money; It really isn't that big of deal either way. The situations I disliked the most was when I had a jobs doing things I didn't' like. If you like dentistry, and can see yourself satisfied caring for people in that way, then I say go for it! If you don't then find what that thing is. If you're interested in healthcare strongly consider parallel career routes: medicine, PT, pharmacy, etc. because you have options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
im an incoming D1 working in a blood research lab for my gap year. This diagram has really really solidified my choice to pursue dentistry lol
Dental's schools gonna be one heck of a ride. Good luck!

[QUOTE="

Trust me when I say this, in the USA, its super competitive to find a good paying job. One thing about grad school in healthcare (med, dental) is that you dont really have to deal with that bs after. You get your degree, and you work.
[/QUOTE]

There are more BS to come after medical and dental schools. My brother is a physician and if the state or insurance doesn't cover procedures, or if the patient exceeds the benefits allowed, you must eat the costs because you must still treat the patient. For many dentists that accept insurance, we may do reasonable procedures to be later told they won't be paying (as you may know from being a DA). If you didn't commit to any schools (not paying any tuition yet) and can walk away but like the healthcare field, consider PT. Although I may be naive to that field, I only encounter happy Physical Therapists. If you're committed to dentistry, find some mentors to help you through school and afterwards. If you like making money more efficiently, consider being a CPA or a savvy, well connected MBA or both and have good fund raising skills for more lucrative investments like commercial properties or flipping broken companies...possibly more opportunities to do just that after this crisis.

[QUOTE="

There are more BS to come after medical and dental schools. My brother is a physician and if the state or insurance doesn't cover procedures, or if the patient exceeds the benefits allowed, you must eat the costs because you must still treat the patient. For many dentists that accept insurance, we may do reasonable procedures to be later told they won't be paying (as you may know from being a DA). If you didn't commit to any schools (not paying any tuition yet) and can walk away but like the healthcare field, consider PT. Although I may be naive to that field, I only encounter happy Physical Therapists. If you're committed to dentistry, find some mentors to help you through school and afterwards. If you like making money more efficiently, consider being a CPA or a savvy, well connected MBA or both and have good fund raising skills for more lucrative investments like commercial properties or flipping broken companies...possibly more opportunities to do just that after this crisis.
[/QUOTE]

To the OP, What insurance pays does/does not pay does not mean that the doctor has to eat the cost and collect nothing. A rockstar insurance coordinator/front office staff/treatment coordinator will be able to explain what the patient responsibility is and patient consents to the treatment and pays for treatment. (Insurance might pay 50% on crowns, if patient met their annual max at another office and then comes to yours and has crown done and insurance denies the claim, patient is responsible for the bill, not the doctor)

What was your dental insurance experience at your job? Did you verify insurance, file claims, appeal rejections, help patients understand their benefits (annual maximum, deductible)? For sure dental insurance companies are greedy (right now they are collecting premiums during pandemic and paying out on very little claims for the next few months, so that means pure profit), doesnt mean dentistry isnt a good field to go into.

Lots of jobs were deemed non-essential during this pandemic doesnt mean they arent good careers. Construction jobs were deemed essential like the crews that builds houses. I would still pick dentistry over construction. With HPSP, you will be in a great spot debt wise.

You will be a DS1 and so much of DS1 yr especially 1st semester is didactic. Instead of having to show up bright and early you could potentially get to be at home and skype into class. Im doing it now in dental schools. Its not that bad (I am a current dental student)

Gotta focus on the positive like that you got into school. I promise there are thousands of student that would jump at the chance to take your spot. Learning how to manage stress and control your emotions is vital to success in dental school. Stay thankful and dont let this time of uncertainty ruin the journey that you are about to start. Best of luck!

[/QUOTE]

To the OP, What insurance pays does/does not pay does not mean that the doctor has to eat the cost and collect nothing. A rockstar insurance coordinator/front office staff/treatment coordinator will be able to explain what the patient responsibility is and patient consents to the treatment and pays for treatment. (Insurance might pay 50% on crowns, if patient met their annual max at another office and then comes to yours and has crown done and insurance denies the claim, patient is responsible for the bill, not the doctor)

What was your dental insurance experience at your job? Did you verify insurance, file claims, appeal rejections, help patients understand their benefits (annual maximum, deductible)? For sure dental insurance companies are greedy (right now they are collecting premiums during pandemic and paying out on very little claims for the next few months, so that means pure profit), doesnt mean dentistry isnt a good field to go into. [/QUOTE]

My brother is a physician over at his hospital. I don't know the full details but his state only pays for certain number of hospital stays...you can't kick the patient out on the street if he or she exceeds that number of stays. His hospital has to eat the cost...I apologize for the misunderstanding but my brother is still upset with that system. I'm only an associate seeing mostly Medicare patients and I get paid a set amount regardless of how low the production is. Occasionally I would see FPS and PPO cases and the finances are taken care of by our front desk personnel. I'm sure the patient was responsible for the remaining balance but I wanted to bring up the BS of insurance payments or lack of. Normally the dentist will need to write a narrative as to why the treatment is necessary and on another post, I read that a dentist needed to write a narrative for an $8 x-ray.

It is unfair for me to mention that dentistry is a bad field to get in. I wanted potential students to be aware of the impending heavy student loan burdens, the BS that they may face and the trends of working harder for less pay. I was too sheltered to be aware of any of that although my years as an USAF dentist took care of my loans. As mentioned by many other posters, dentistry can be rewarding if you have the right mindset and plan.

It is unfair for me to mention that dentistry is a bad field to get in. I wanted potential students to be aware of the impending heavy student loan burdens, the BS that they may face and the trends of working harder for less pay. I was too sheltered to be aware of any of that although my years as an USAF dentist took care of my loans. As mentioned by many other posters, dentistry can be rewarding if you have the right mindset and plan.
hpsp worth it?

What was your dental insurance experience at your job? Did you verify insurance, file claims, appeal rejections, help patients understand their benefits (annual maximum, deductible)? For sure dental insurance companies are greedy (right now they are collecting premiums during pandemic and paying out on very little claims for the next few months, so that means pure profit), doesnt mean dentistry isnt a good field to go into.

Lots of jobs were deemed non-essential during this pandemic doesnt mean they arent good careers. Construction jobs were deemed essential like the crews that builds houses. I would still pick dentistry over construction. With HPSP, you will be in a great spot debt wise.

You will be a DS1 and so much of DS1 yr especially 1st semester is didactic. Instead of having to show up bright and early you could potentially get to be at home and skype into class. Im doing it now in dental schools. Its not that bad (I am a current dental student)

Gotta focus on the positive like that you got into school. I promise there are thousands of student that would jump at the chance to take your spot. Learning how to manage stress and control your emotions is vital to success in dental school. Stay thankful and dont let this time of uncertainty ruin the journey that you are about to start. Best of luck!
[/QUOTE]
i started out as dental assistant, now i am well versed in it all (all major procedures, and all aspects of insurance - dental and medical) , yes we bill for medical haha.

hpsp worth it?

My USAF experience was totally worth it. My physician father and my childhood dentist all say that I am wasting my time there. It depends on the size and structure of the military bases. My base had no residencies so dentists aren't fighting over specialty work. The capitation DMO I worked for afterwards was so impressed with me that they doubled my base pay plus production and have me do full time endo as a GP. I didn't do many endo in USAF and fortunately got to work with an endodontist mentor while at this DMO. I did that for 9 years and I bought a very nice house in the expensive Pacific NW. As mentioned at another post, it was the best job due to very low stress, only seeing about 6-7 patients (many times less) in a 10 hr day (4 days a week) and producing over a million on GP fees. They eventually got rid of me because I was too expensive (capitation vs production) and started hiring cheaper grads.

My USAF experience was totally worth it. My physician father and my childhood dentist all say that I am wasting my time there. It depends on the size and structure of the military bases. My base had no residencies so dentists aren't fighting over specialty work. The capitation DMO I worked for afterwards was so impressed with me that they doubled my base pay plus production and have me do full time endo as a GP. I didn't do many endo in USAF and fortunately got to work with an endodontist mentor while at this DMO. I did that for 9 years and I bought a very nice house in the expensive Pacific NW. As mentioned at another post, it was the best job due to very low stress, only seeing about 6-7 patients (many times less) in a 10 hr day (4 days a week) and producing over a million on GP fees. They eventually got rid of me because I was too expensive (capitation vs production) and started hiring cheaper grads.
what are you doing now? practice owner?

what are you doing now? practice owner?

I'm working for corporate dentisty mainly on Medicare which is the least glamorous for $700/day. They may have me do more endo and perhaps throw in production. I almost bought a 1.2 mil practice an hr drive away at a smaller community practice. It wasn't meant to be because my wife talked me out of it. Regardless of what others think, I rather live modestly than have stress with the wife.

• Haha
I'm working for corporate dentisty mainly on Medicare which is the least glamorous for $700/day. They may have me do more endo and perhaps throw in production. I almost bought a 1.2 mil practice an hr drive away at a smaller community practice. It wasn't meant to be because my wife talked me out of it. Regardless of what others think, I rather live modestly than have stress with the wife.
Do you mean Medicaid? May I ask how long you've been practicing and how many days you are working per week?

Do you mean Medicaid? May I ask how long you've been practicing and how many days you are working per week?

I work 4.5 days getting paid for 5 full days. I do work half days on Saturdays but I firmly requested taking Wednesdays off. I'm 49 and need to take care of myself. I live in a very desirable area and there are too many dentists...about 1 dentist to less than 450 people. Even an hour away at a small town of 15,000 people, there are 35 dentists...maybe many of them part time?

I work 4.5 days getting paid for 5 full days. I do work half days on Saturdays but I firmly requested taking Wednesdays off. I'm 49 and need to take care of myself. I live in a very desirable area and there are too many dentists...about 1 dentist to less than 450 people. Even an hour away at a small town of 15,000 people, there are 35 dentists...maybe many of them part time?
I'm assuming you are on unemployment right now? Not to be cynical but if your wife decides to divorce you are you SOL financially?

I'm assuming you are on unemployment right now? Not to be cynical but if your wife decides to divorce you are you SOL financially?

I'm still getting paid $700/day for seeing no one. My company must have some arrangements with the state still paying us. My wife could divorce me anytime. We have 3 kids that depend on my income (wife doesn't work). I have about 9 mos emergency money to pay the mortgage and the bills. I can be SOL anytime though.

So true about the wifey. I wished I had listened to my wife before I decided to build a 2nd satellite office near the peak of 2006. In hindsight .. it was the wrong timing and wrong decision. She said NO. I said yes. I did OK with it, but it was not smooth and there was alot of stress associated with that 2nd practice. She reminds me of this all the time. ;)

well guys i was given the hpsp scholarship, but then my medical waiver was pending and i just got the results....it was denied. so scholarship is gone. :( what a sad day this is. i was planning on going to a private school (100k/year). is it still worth it? i have NO IDEA what other career options to do. im so lost

well guys i was given the hpsp scholarship, but then my medical waiver was pending and i just got the results....it was denied. so scholarship is gone. :( what a sad day this is. i was planning on going to a private school (100k/year). is it still worth it? i have NO IDEA what other career options to do. im so lost
Have you looked into NHSC? I don't think dentistry is worth $400k+ in student loan debt unless you have a family gig or a trusted mentor waiting for you after graduation. As a lowly D4, I have concluded that happy dentists are debt-free owner dentists who not only own the practice but also the building. Unhappy dentists are either disabled, bankrupt, or have relationship problems (ie going through a divorce).

Last edited:
Have you looked into NHSC?
i have, but the bad thing is that for NHSC, when I would find out if i got the scholarship is when ill already be in school. worst case scenario is i dont get the scholarship and now i have to take on all this debt.