Second looks anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN2B2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard mixed things about going for a second look. I've heard that it can help you. However, when I asked about it on the interview trail, most places said that it was unnecessary and that they didn't expect their interviewees to make the expense of travelling there twice. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Also, what should you expect out of a second look day? Should you spend an entire day, a half-day, or take call?

Good luck to all those finishing interviews and participating in the upcoming match!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going on a couple of second looks. It's for my top programs and it's more to see the area outside of the hospital to see if I could truly live there. I also want to meet more of the residents at one of the programs to see if I could fit in. At most places, I got a good feel for the program, but it was more the area that I was interested in. There are definitely mixed feelings on second looks ~ I've heard some programs say not to come and others encourage it. It leaves us stuck not really knowing what to do. But I figured if I was going to go back and see the area, I might as well spend a half day or so at the hospital. I'm going to spend a morning there - that gives me time to see the area during the daytime as well. Plus, since our role is just observing, I don't need to hang out for more than a few hours.

go on a second look at least for your top choice.
It will let you decide after you have set your pros/cons
Also consider this is there a night float and how family friendly is the institution?