USMLE Screen turned off during exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

Took CK recently (awaiting results) and halfway through my exam i accidentally kicked a cord in the back and my screen turned off. I dont think I turned the actual computer off, because as soon as the proctor calmed my panic and told me it was just a plug, the screen turn on and it was on the same question. I'm assuming since it was just the screen, it has no effect on the actual test? right???? I know i'm just paranoid, just wanted to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Took CK recently (awaiting results) and halfway through my exam i accidentally kicked a cord in the back and my screen turned off. I dont think I turned the actual computer off, because as soon as the proctor calmed my panic and told me it was just a plug, the screen turn on and it was on the same question. I'm assuming since it was just the screen, it has no effect on the actual test? right???? I know i'm just paranoid, just wanted to make sure.

You went through 4 years of high school, 4 years of undergrad and 3+ years of medical school.
I think after a decade worth of education and countless hours working with computers/laptops you can honestly answer this question without any doubts.

Reactions: 1 user
Silly question I know, but when your career hangs in the balance, all reason sometimes goes out the window, but thanks.

I dont know if this helps but during my exam i tried to turn the brightness up by pushing buttons on the monitor.(stupid i know) The screen actually went off while i was doing that. It came back on the same question after i asked for help and eventually did not affect my result in any way.

Hey there,

I have a similar story.

I hit the power button on the bottom right of the computer screen by mistake and the screen turned black. I almost had a freakout for a millisecond.
But I calmed myself, and hit the power button again and it turned back on no problemo.

Passed Step 2 CK with a 249, so don't let the stress get to you man.