Power Went out During Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY NY

Reaction score
I took step 2 this morning. After my first block the power went out but the computers were still working. I did another 2 blocks and the entire computer system crashed. They took everyone out of the room and kept us for about 2 hours before they told us we all had to reschedule. NBME said they have to investigate whether or not they score the test or if I retake it. Does anyone know how much you need to complete for them to score the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's safe to assume they won't score the exam unless you completely finished it. There's no way they'll score it with less than half the questions answered.

This sucks that you're in this situation. I hope this doesn't interfere with your schedule. I remember taking my Step 1 the Friday before I started clerkships. I would have been so screwed if I had to reschedule Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
There's some kind of claus about reporting this incident within the first 10 days, or if it gets scored as a failure, it's a failure and they won't do anything about it (at least for the NBOME). It sounds like the NBME is aware, but I'd double, triple, and quadruple check.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear that this happened. That definitely sucks. I can't see them scoring the test if you only did like 3 sections.

Definitely call the NBME and file a case report. They'll give you a case number and investigate and get back to you. For one of my Step exams the exams crashed for a bunch of people in my room (mine included) and it took them about an hour to get the exams back up and working again. I was on the 2nd to last section of my test so I just waited it out because there was no way I was gonna retake. Eventually they launched my exam from where it had left off and I finished that section and the last one. I still called the NBME to report it and they did an investigation but nothing came of it since I had finished my exam. In your case they should definitely give you a retake free of charge