scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rebith75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, quick question, searched but no luck. Do you need lor's for the scramble?? I found a spelling error on my cv (must have overlooked it 5000 times), so i am preparing for the worst. Thanks! Also where can i find the list of programs from last year that didnt match, to get an idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, quick question, searched but no luck. Do you need lor's for the scramble?? I found a spelling error on my cv (must have overlooked it 5000 times), so i am preparing for the worst. Thanks! Also where can i find the list of programs from last year that didnt match, to get an idea?

depends on the program. Some wanted them up front, but the place I went to I sent my CV, had a phone interview, got an offer the next morning, and then e-mailed a letter of intent and had LORs sent afterwards as a formality.

Ok, so is it a general recommendation to contact and have ready my lor's, or would that, for most programs, be unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be a good idea to have everything ready ahead of time.

can you still do the scramble if you don't want to do the match?

Yes, but you need to oay for the match to get the scramble list.

I see. When do I pay for it..before the match or after the match and before the scramble?

the scramble is the same day as the match.

pay now.

Can someone explain how the scramble actually works? Is this correct:

1. After the match is released, a list will be available of all the unmatched programs
2. For 2 days afterward I will contact programs directly through email or calling
3. I email or fax in all my lor, loi, and transcripts. Are the lor supposed to be confidential? How would I email/fax those? And do the transcripts need to be official as well? How would I send those electronically?

Thanks

Can someone explain how the scramble actually works? Is this correct:

1. After the match is released, a list will be available of all the unmatched programs
2. For 2 days afterward I will contact programs directly through email or calling
3. I email or fax in all my lor, loi, and transcripts. Are the lor supposed to be confidential? How would I email/fax those? And do the transcripts need to be official as well? How would I send those electronically?

Thanks

This is how I understand it:

1: Yes, if you didn't match but you registered for the matching program.
2: The time frame could be that short; some programs take longer to choose a candidate but the process starts immediately and you should be ready to go.
3: As far as I know, each individual program will tell you what they want. So be ready to send things on. At the very least, get copies of your transcripts and convert them to .pdf form. Ask your LOR writers to have some sort of electronic version of a letter ready, even if it's not the ASHP form. If the LOR writers are OK with the letters not being confidential, then obtain them and scan them in and convert to .pdf.

Scramble is definitely competitive...Unfortunately for me I am going to stay abroad during the match day. It is going to be problematic. I only hope I do match

Scramble is definitely competitive...Unfortunately for me I am going to stay abroad during the match day. It is going to be problematic. I only hope I do match

Skype + have someone stateside be ready to mail prepared app packets for you?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me exactly how quickly the scramble goes down. I hope it doesn't happen, but I want to be prepared in case it does. I'm on rotation right now and my preceptor AND rotation coordinator don't seem to think that it's a rapid-fire thing, and so I'm being held accountable for going to a meeting at 1:30 pm the day the Match results come out. I'm thinking that the afternoon should be full of scrambling, and not, you know, going to a lame meeting? They've tried to tell me that the whole process takes several days to work out, but I'm worried that stuff is going to happen VERY QUICKLY and I'll be tied up doing rotation stuff. I kind of want to say, fine, give me a C, just give me the afternoon off! Can any former scramblers tell me what it's really like? Thanks!

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me exactly how quickly the scramble goes down. I hope it doesn't happen, but I want to be prepared in case it does. I'm on rotation right now and my preceptor AND rotation coordinator don't seem to think that it's a rapid-fire thing, and so I'm being held accountable for going to a meeting at 1:30 pm the day the Match results come out. I'm thinking that the afternoon should be full of scrambling, and not, you know, going to a lame meeting? They've tried to tell me that the whole process takes several days to work out, but I'm worried that stuff is going to happen VERY QUICKLY and I'll be tied up doing rotation stuff. I kind of want to say, fine, give me a C, just give me the afternoon off! Can any former scramblers tell me what it's really like? Thanks!

Taking 1/2 day off on the 17th is a good idea regardless. If you match, go celebrate with your friends (and it's St.Patrick's day!). If you don't match, you got time to sulk a little and get started with scrambling.

Most non-anal preceptors will understand that it is a big deal in your life. And if they want to be an ass, they will probably give you a C to begin with whether you take a half day or not. :rolleyes:

Taking 1/2 day off on the 17th is a good idea regardless. If you match, go celebrate with your friends (and it's St.Patrick's day!). If you don't match, you got time to sulk a little and get started with scrambling.

Most non-anal preceptors will understand that it is a big deal in your life. And if they want to be an ass, they will probably give you a C to begin with whether you take a half day or not. :rolleyes:

Yeah she's being a total turd. The medical resident I'm with on this rotation was listening to my story and she was like, call out sick! So I'm getting mixed signals. Like I said, my preceptor and rotation coordinator back at school are like, not thinking it's something that will be happening right away, that very afternoon/the next morning. I am inclined to disagree.

I would talk to your preceptor. This is your future. Most preceptors are very accommodating if a pharmacy student is pursuing a residency. I have a friend that went to 9 interviews and her preceptor let her miss lots of days on rotation. Most preceptors encourage students to pursue a residency. I'd definitely see what can be done to miss the meeting. It's important that you are able to participate in the scramble if you need to. Who knows, maybe you won't have too!