Scores voided?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel dust

Pre-Dental Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT and didn't do too hot, but i was wondering after how many years the scores are void? and whether your previous scores show up even if they are void. any info is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

angel dust said:
I just took the DAT and didn't do too hot, but i was wondering after how many years the scores are void? and whether your previous scores show up even if they are void. any info is much appreciated.

I don't think your first DAT scores will be voided. According to the ADA:

"When a candidate repeats the examinations, the results of the four most recent attempts are released on the official transcript forwarded to the dental schools. Also, for all candidates, the total number of attempts is listed."

You may want to call them to further verify on that.

the ada also suggests if you don't score around the average after 3 attempts, you should look at a different career. i don't think you should be embarrassed about any score.. as long as you can score well on the next try.

Both of you are correct; yes, the last 4 as well as the total taken are posted on the printout received by schools. Generally, however, schools will only consider scores no more than two years old.

In saying that, you have to remember that they WILL SEE all scores. So if admissions committees are true to form they should only consider scores within 2 years.. But if they are human.... You know they will take them into consideration.

The bottom line here...
If you retake the DAT, the worst possible thing that can happen to you is you DO NOT show improvement. So what could one infer about this statement? DO NOT rush the DAT. Take your time and prepare and show it who its daddy is when you are ready.

Good Luck,
-C

Members don't see this ad :)
thanx alot guys. i just hate the fact that i did study a long time but before i took the DAT i was swamped with school work for a good three weeks and really forgot everything. its a pisser really. having those scores show up just feels like a slap in the face. but i'm gonna take the DAT again after everything cools down next cycle.

alright, i gotta bite! since this board is anonymous and all... how bad are we talking here?

I wish you could void them. It's not fair to have to base the rest of your life on one bad day.

if u retake it and get decent scores.. i don't see a need to void the scores... if the dental school asks you.. just tell them your situation and that you had a rough day. we're all human.

no reason to void them.........people make mistakes......

why do we fall? to learn how to pick ourselves up.

Are you gonna argue with someone who made a 14/14 and then a 20/20?

hehe yeh. but it just sucks. i'm gonna apply next year cause my GPA is low, but people say to apply anyways...dunno.. what ya guys think?

don't worry about your DAT... you can always improve there... just put it behind you and prepare harder for the next time around!

your gpa on the other hand is much harder to fix if it's in the crapper. so i'll bite again, how low are we talking here?

syn_apse said:
don't worry about your DAT... you can always improve there... just put it behind you and prepare harder for the next time around!

your gpa on the other hand is much harder to fix if it's in the crapper. so i'll bite again, how low are we talking here?

Is there a limit to the amount of times you can take the DAT? Do they start looking at you like you're an idiot if you've taken it like 4 times?

obviously nailing it the first time is better than nailing it after 4 attempts. but honestly, i think they are really only looking at the bottom line. in fact, i know some schools mix and match your best scores from multiple attempts

really, i'd like to know which schools mix and match.

i think taking it too many times may hurt u..

i've heard that if you take it twice that should be enough to prove to the committee that you're prepared. but as far as gpa goes...overall right now its a 2.9, science is 2.8. i'm seriously thinking about my master's now. the admissions guy from UMDNJ told me i have a better chance if i do that.