Score submission question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BklynWill

EM Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one plans on taking both the USMLE and COMLEX, it is permissible/possible for one to apply to an NCGME program and submit their COMLEX score only (assuming they are not proud of their USMLE score)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You have to check a box and pay a fee on your application to have your USMLE scores sent. I would be prepared to truthfully answer and defend a question such as "did you take USMLE" on your interview, however.

I agree with Idiopathic. If you take both, plan on reporting both. I think it is unethical to withhold scores, but that is just me. Some hardcore gunners may feel differently.

I am assuming NCGME is the same as ACGME. Never heard of NCGME.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of people taking both and only reporting COMLEX. Most the the people who did just told me that their answer was "I felt my COMLEX score showed more of what i was capable of", or "it represented my medical education more closely". Just be honest with it, most programs quite honestly want you to rotate there to get to know you. If you do well most places will use board scores as a formality, though it always helps to be in the top 99% on both USMLE anb COMLEX :laugh:

You can submit either score. Depends on the residency you are applying to. almost all take comlex as well as usmle.