SCORE curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderDrug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there an efficient way to use SCORE (PGY 1)? There seems to be just way too much information that I don't know what to do with it. How does your program use it? Schedules?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there an efficient way to use SCORE (PGY 1)? There seems to be just way too much information that I don't know what to do with it. How does your program use it? Schedules?

Up to this year our program didn't use it well, but this year they are giving a reading and lecture schedule with recommended modules for each week. Not sure if there are any publicly available schedules if your program doesn't use one...

As an aside, i'm super excited that the module I wrote was accepted... Don't see it up on the site yet, but I'm still pumped

Up to this year our program didn't use it well, but this year they are giving a reading and lecture schedule with recommended modules for each week. Not sure if there are any publicly available schedules if your program doesn't use one...

As an aside, i'm super excited that the module I wrote was accepted... Don't see it up on the site yet, but I'm still pumped

If anyone knows of an available schedule or is willing to share theirs I would be forever grateful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even with a schedule though, there is still an incredible amount of (seemingly) useless information within the referenced readings for each module, making it hard to wade through in a timely manner.

Doesn't your program have assigned readings every week? Usually for the junior years (PGY1-2), you'll cover one of the major basic science-oriented textbooks in 12 months. Most places use Sabiston, Schwartz or Greenfield.

Doesn't your program have assigned readings every week? Usually for the junior years (PGY1-2), you'll cover one of the major basic science-oriented textbooks in 12 months. Most places use Sabiston, Schwartz or Greenfield.

Not sure how universal this is. Our program doesn't do this, and I read ~50% of one of the basic science texts over 24 months and now trying to read Cameron (which is going much quicker, I must say).

Not sure how universal this is. Our program doesn't do this, and I read ~50% of one of the basic science texts over 24 months and now trying to read Cameron (which is going much quicker, I must say).

Hmmm...odd. You didn't have any sort of structured reading program? Did you at least have a syllabus/curriculum of topics to follow, with weekly didactics?

Similarly, my program does not assign readings from a specific text. The official recommendation is to "pick one" and "read regularly."

Otherwise, we have a weekly basic science conference. The topic/schedule is determined by one of the chiefs as his/her assigned chief duty. The weekly topics are selected from the SCORE Curriculum and follow approximately a 2-year cycle. All residents attend this conference, regardless of program year and the residents themselves take turns giving (are assigned) the lectures and are also responsible for finding/choosing a faculty mentor for the topic.

Hmmm...odd. You didn't have any sort of structured reading program? Did you at least have a syllabus/curriculum of topics to follow, with weekly didactics?

We have planned didactics, but these are not comprehensive by any means. Topics are picked based on resident interest/faculty interest, and at random. The only way to get a comprehensive grasp of surgery is by reading on your own... Reading pertinent chapters while on a given rotation seems to work.

Yeah we definitely don't have any kind of assigned reading program.

I'd probably feel vaguely insulted if we did...we're thirty to thirty-five year old adults. We got here and are strongly motivated. Let us handle it.

We have planned didactics, but these are not comprehensive by any means. Topics are picked based on resident interest/faculty interest, and at random. The only way to get a comprehensive grasp of surgery is by reading on your own... Reading pertinent chapters while on a given rotation seems to work.

Maybe some of the young 'uns (25-26 year old interns) need the structure?

:D ;)

I sort of disagree. A structured curriculum is appropriate, rather than just assuming your residents are reading the correct things in a timely matter. In order for the residents to be appropriately motivated, there needs to be some accountability.

Historically, "assigned reading" was given to the junior residents as a part of the textbook club (Sabiston, Schwartz, etc). Since that concept is dying, and SCORE is the rebirth, then it's appropriate to expect junior residents to review for the topic being discussed that week in conference, with specific chapters assigned. Whether they do it or not is a whole other issue.

A poorly structured curriculum, where residents are expected to "read on their own" and the conferences are poorly written and poorly attended, is a big red flag to me. I would advise medical students to avoid such programs.

The SCORE curriculum is available on the ABS website, so setting up a reading schedule based on that outline would be pretty easy.