Scientific publications and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenotypic

Mad Dog 20/20
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It'll be 4 more years before i have to apply for residency, but i have a specific question regarding my undergraduate and post-undergraduate scientific publications. Do publications (i have a couple secondary author and a few third author papers) help in the process? How much bearing does a spinal chord injury paper have, for instance, when/if i apply for a PM&R residency?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is that it usually is beneficial.

The long answer depends on whether or not you want to go into academic medicine. If not, then publications are essentially meaningless. Since you are not emphasizing academics in your application, it won't be brought up often. If, on the other hand, you are interested in academic medicine it will put you ahead of the pack. Of course, relevant publications cannot substitute for poor performance on Step I/II or poor clerkship grades.

They are a good way of differentiating you from other applicants, and good topics of conversation during interviews. Relevant work is probably more important for competitive residencies like derm, but for most other residencies it is enough that you have shown an interest in academic medicine in general. But like GFunk said, they are much more important if you are applying to a university program, and less so if you are not.

However if you published some spinal "chord" research it might not help as much as you think. In fact it will probably hurt.

Seaglass said:
However if you published some spinal "chord" research it might not help as much as you think. In fact it will probably hurt.
I am not what you mean here....

there's no h in spinal cord

however, there is an h in notochord

why? to anger us all

Seaglass said:

Seaglass, you are a spell-checking *****.

Disclaimer - the above jibe is meant in jest. It does not in any way indicate that Mr. Seaglass is engaged in the act of checking spelling for money, or performing any other illicit academic work for hire.

Actually, I am a spell checking ***** - and the checks keep me swimming in Yeungling.

Seaglass said:

Congrats -- you have won the national spell-checking bee -- your prize is in the mail -- it's a candy striped catheter. Enjoy. :thumbup:

Seaglass said:
Actually, I am a spell checking ***** - and the checks keep me swimming in Yeungling.
That's Yuengling !!! :laugh: