Schools that are academic/GPA heavy vs. holistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogtormanda25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Not sure if there is already a thread for this, but I was wondering what schools are more GPA/academic-focused versus holistic. I have a lower GPA and want to see what schools would be worth applying to and which I would be wasting my time & money on.
For example, I know LSU says they don't have a GPA requirement, but do they usually focus on academics mainly?
I know Iowa tends to be a good school to apply to with a lower GPA because they look at the last 45 more. But correct me if I am wrong!
Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!
Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone applying :)

Members don't see this ad.

If LSU is your in-state, they are a bit more lenient with GPA. But if you're out-of-state, GPA rankings are considered in the first cut. I believe only the top 100/300 (conflicting sources) OOS applicants move onto having their entire folder review before interview invites are sent out.

Reactions: 1 user
If LSU is your in-state, they are a bit more lenient with GPA. But if you're out-of-state, GPA rankings are considered in the first cut. I believe only the top 100/300 (conflicting sources) OOS applicants move onto having their entire folder review before interview invites are sent out.
Thank you for this! I am not in-state for LSU so I will not be applying there due to my lower GPA

Thank you for this! I am not in-state for LSU so I will not be applying there due to my lower GPA
Yes I learned the hard way that they rank based on GPA! had I known, I would not have applied.. but there are other schools that don't have as harsh a cutoff!

Reactions: 1 user