School's Out, what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FiveO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated college from a prestigious university. I applied to medical school and did not get in my first time around an decided to take 2 years off to reapply. My MCAT score of 29 isn't bad and my recommendations and EC acitivities are abundant.

The bane of my application as I've concluded must be my pre-medical courses; C+ in Organic Chemistry and Genetics specifically. Though C+ looks horrible, bear in mind that the course was curved around to a B- (thus, 50% of the students in the course got a B- or lower). Not that medical schools ever care, but I was wondering, now that I graduated and am working FT at a position that will definitely strengthen my application, should I try to remedy these grades and if so, how? My alma mater is far from where I currently live/work but there are other schools around. Should I enroll just enough to retake these courses and do better or accept the grades as they stand and just gain real world practical experience to make up for these grades?

Members don't see this ad.

FiveO said:
I have graduated college from a prestigious university. I applied to medical school and did not get in my first time around an decided to take 2 years off to reapply. My MCAT score of 29 isn't bad and my recommendations and EC acitivities are abundant.

The bane of my application as I've concluded must be my pre-medical courses; C+ in Organic Chemistry and Genetics specifically. Though C+ looks horrible, bear in mind that the course was curved around to a B- (thus, 50% of the students in the course got a B- or lower). Not that medical schools ever care, but I was wondering, now that I graduated and am working FT at a position that will definitely strengthen my application, should I try to remedy these grades and if so, how? My alma mater is far from where I currently live/work but there are other schools around. Should I enroll just enough to retake these courses and do better or accept the grades as they stand and just gain real world practical experience to make up for these grades?
I think, especially in the age of CBT, the MCAT would be the easiest thing to raise (highest benefit/time spent ratio).

i agree with rxn man. the MCAT is more telling because it's standardized so theoretically, everyone is on a level playing field. your GPA, while rectifiable, will be much more difficult seeing as how you aren't near your alma mater. i think going for the MCAT is the best course of action, but if you have time, maybe additionally taking orgo and genetics at a local state school will be worthwhile. this may show schools that not only are you improving the MCAT in your application but that you can take the rigor of medical school type classes even after 2 years off.