Waitlisted, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chipotlebae

Reaction score
Hi SDN, please advise.

ORM female, Colorado native, feeling like I'm hitting rock-bottom. I know that only about 40% of applicants get accepted in any given year, but still, I feel horrible and overwhelmed.

I graduated from a top 10 undergrad in fall 2019. Hefty shadowing, clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, and leadership experiences. I'm most proud of my research experiences (3 long-term projects, 2 publications in Nature and Pediatric Diabetes, 2 coveted research grants, various presentations). I also have plenty of non-medical interests (my side-hustle right now is working with high school students from my alma mater). My LORs came from people I had genuinely good connections with (PIs, professors I've TAed for, etc). Overall, my application is tied together by an interest in working with vulnerable adolescents.

During my gap year, I took on a Patient Advocacy job in my hometown while applying.

I'm panicking and have a thousand different avenues in my mind that I could take. If I don't get in this cycle, my ideal scenario is to enter medical school in 2022. I just want to avoid any more pitfalls going forward as a reapplicant and I really, really want to become a doctor.

Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone in their journey!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Your app looks good. A 3.58 and a 511 means you are slightly below average matriculant stats wise, so you need to be smart about your school list, I would say aim for the mid/low tier MDs, your instate schools again, and you need to be applying DO broadly if you didn't this year, the DO schools will like you. Also apply as fast as you possibly can. I have a similar GPA to you and I have had 2 MD IIs and 5 DO IIs.

Maybe do some more volunteer work for the underserved?