Schools already scheduling into March/April for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OZ2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just invited to interview at Drexel (August mcat'er) and was shocked when I called the admissions office to schedule and was given a choice of the last week of March or first week in April! I scheduled, but also asked to be put on the cancellation list.

Should I be concerned about interviewing so late? It makes me feel like I have no chance already or that I will just be competing for a spot on the waitlist. (This would only be my second interview. I have no acceptances yet, but will hear the results from my first interview this week).

Have other people had this experience with other schools? If so, what is your advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, my best friend interviewed at Temple in April and was told that she was interviewing for the waitlist or something like that, but she had no chance of getting a direct spot because the class was well over it's needed limit.

Call the schools now and then to ask about cancellations. I'm cancelling 3 interviews today and will, without doubt, be turning more down.

Maybe there are more people like me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope so. You are kind to be so considerate to everyone else. I think each of us should have the opportunity to interview/accept at multiple schools especially since it is such an important decision, however, at the same time we must keep in mind that it is a give and take for everyone.

What other schools are scheduling in March/April already? I've heard Cornell is, but am not sure if that is accurate.

Originally posted by dr.lilee
What other schools are scheduling in March/April already? I've heard Cornell is, but am not sure if that is accurate.

do you know that for sure for cornell? what are your sources?

april/ march for august mcaters, underqualified or people who applied late?

grrr... I also just scheduled for end of March for Drexel. I was SHOCKED when the Admissions person told me they were scheduling for end of March, April or May. I thought, oh gosh, this is not a good sign....

Yeah, I am a case of how cool it is when people cancel interviews if they know they wouldn't go to the school. I found out on Friday from UCLA's webpage that I have an interview. I have no idea when they are scheduling for right now, but I know they lag. Anyways, the adcom called me this morning and told me they have a cancellation tomorrow, so I am going tomorrow. I lucked out. Thanks to whoever canceled this interview :)

Any other schools besides Drexel scheduling stuff into March/April? I have my hopes up for some schools that have me on pre-interview hold. If they're scheduling so late I'm just going to dismiss them all as delayed rejections. Yeah so getting back to the point, if anyone has had to schedule something ungodly late into the "season" let me know how late and for which school.

Hi people,

I will be withdrawing my Drexel interview, which is scheduled in the near future. The FIRST person to PM me, I will tell them my interview date and the exact time that I will call and cancel it so you can swoop in and schedule yours for that day. It is in the near future, ie jan, so if you can't make that save it for another fellow premed.

Good luck.

BigRed, your heart is in the right place and you're very generous, but I question the ethics of that deal... ebay seems like a great venue for that exchange.

Originally posted by BklynWill
BigRed, your heart is in the right place and you're very generous, but I question the ethics of that deal... ebay seems like a great venue for that exchange.

Not sure what you mean Will...Ethics? Morality? Elaborate...I was never good at philosophae. I'm not asking for anything in exchange anyway, so there should be no issue with "ethics" or "ebay auctioning." Simple rule: First come first serve.

BTW: I gave up info to a lucky winner already.

Lucky winner who PMed me, check your box

I'm not criticizing you, it just seems like your offer resembles throwing the bouquet at your wedding. The only people with a chance to benefit from your generosity are those who read this thread, as opposed to the many other applicants deserving a chance to call for your spot. Additionally, even the ones who were lucky enough to read this thread have to compete with each other. Just seems like fighting for table scraps (in my opinion). Believe me, I'm certainly no saint so please don't think I'm trying to put you down.
Congrats on your acceptance.

Originally posted by BklynWill
I'm not criticizing you, it just seems like your offer resembles throwing the bouquet at your wedding. The only people with a chance to benefit from your generosity are those who read this thread, as opposed to the many other applicants deserving a chance to call for your spot. Additionally, even the ones who were lucky enough to read this thread have to compete with each other. Just seems like fighting for table scraps (in my opinion). Believe me, I'm certainly no saint so please don't think I'm trying to put you down.
Congrats on your acceptance.

Ah... I get it now. Too much of "right place, right time" for whoever gets it, right? I agree. Can't it just all be fair, every man for him/herself? I honestly don't know the answer to that one. Although, I don;t agree that this is fighting over table scraps. This is a medical school interview we're talking about here. Also, the "competition" doesn't seem that stiff considering that only 1 person PMed me while the offer was open for over 20 min.

Originally posted by dr.lilee

anyone know if this is true?

I have a SUNY Upstate interview first week of March. I found out awhile ago, so I am sure they're getting into late March/ April spots now.

Interview'n for the good'ol waitlist...

hang tight guys... as people start getting acceptances, there will inevitably be cancellations on the earlier dates which the ad offices will try to fill... at least i would hope so... i called albany to reschedule about a month ago, and at that point they were scheduling in march (which the lady didn't think was that bigg of a deal), but then when i called the next day, she told me there was an opening in january because of a cancellation. so moral of the story: DON'T WORRY! as for me, i'd be grateful for even an invite! good luck all!