school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaki328

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
Does anyone know where I can find the rankings of the US sops? Just wondering... THanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't any good rankings for pharmacy schools. The ones that are out there look at things like how much research money the school pulls in, publications, etc. None of that has anything to do with your education. All profs are doing research. Some of them can teach, some can't. I don't care who wrote what paper, only if they can teach me what I need to know.

You might want to look at board passage rates, if anything.

The NABP gives the passage rate statistics (a % for the school, as well as a comparison to state and national candidates) directly to the individual schools of pharmacy. The school should be willing to give you access to those statistics. If they don't, that tells you something ;)

California has statistics for their board exam available on the CABOP website. You'll have to remember to keep those stats in proper perspective since they are for the "old exam", now that they are changing over to a NAPLEX and California MPJE exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
California School
Canidates # Pass % Pass

UCSF 113 97 85.8
UOP 200 131 65.5
USC 173 141 81.5
Western 98 64 65.3

CABOP

Originally posted by Oneday_9
California School
Canidates # Pass % Pass

UCSF 113 97 85.8
UOP 200 131 65.5
USC 173 141 81.5
Western 98 64 65.3

CABOP

Of course since California has adopted NAPLEX, those scores don't mean nearly as much as they used to.

The good schools pass 100% or almost 100% of their graduates. Like my school :) :

% US passing NAPLEX (given multiple times per year)
2004 89.64%
2003 96.54%
2003 91.47%
2002 88.52%
2002 96.74%
2002 89.27%
2001 90.10%
2001 94.38%

West Virginia University School of Pharmacy:
2001 100%
2002 100%
2003 98.56%
2004 100% (Retake for the one person that failed in 2003)

Yes, but for those of us applying this year, I think these numbers are relevant until the latest NAPLEX come out.

Wow, a lot has changed in 7 years.

/not going to elaborate.

Edit: Oh, wait, in 1997 a lot of programs were still offering the R.Ph. and this is just a "doctorate" list.

Does ranking really matter? It seems with the shortage employers are going to take what they can get.

Originally posted by moobymaster
Does ranking really matter? It seems with the shortage employers are going to take what they can get.

Ranking doesnt mean anything in most pharmacy professions unless you are going for a residency or going for a "prestigous" job. I think thought that GPA is more important than the school you came from for residency. In the end, all employers are looking for the piece of paper that says you can legally dispense prescriptions!

Originally posted by LVPharm
The NABP gives the passage rate statistics (a % for the school, as well as a comparison to state and national candidates) directly to the individual schools of pharmacy.

Where exactly did you find these statistics? I went to the site and can't find it......:confused: