What are my chances at a higher ranked school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmboy27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am going to apply to go to pharmacy school and I will start fall 2016. I am a Economics major with a Concentration in Pre-pharmacy so I have taken most of my pre-reqs. Here is my GPA:

Overall: 3.5 (with business classes)
Science: 3.2 (haven't taken all the classes I have like 4-5 left)

My PCAT score is:
Verbal: 94
Biology: 95
Reading: 56
Quantitative: 96
Chemistry: 98
Composite: 97

I have a bunch of extracurriculars. I have done research at University of Pennsylvania. I worked at a software company managing healthcare related data. I am a founder of a fraternity at my school and have been president. I am also currently the greek council president as well.

What do you think my chances are? I am looking at UNC Chapel Hill, Rutgers, Temple University, Northeastern, Thomas Jefferson.

Members don't see this ad.

Good chance, the only area for significant is improvement is getting pharmacy related experience which for some schools is a "big deal"

I mean some of the research I did was related to drugs. What other things should I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
My answer changes based on your aspirations. Given your target schools, should I assume you want to skip patient care and head to the pharmaceutical industry?

(And only UNC is a "top" school, if you believe in such things)

School rankings do not matter

School reputation is important in getting an internship, getting good rotations, and residency. While rankings only loosely correlate to a school's actual strength, it gives you a guideline to look at.

It used to not matter. But reading the pharmacy forum certainly seems to be true. UF pharm students had no trouble getting paid internship while students from other pharmacy schools in florida had a significantly harder time.

Honestly, with how saturated the job market is, it definitely will matter by the time we graduate.

I want to either open up independent pharmacies or yes go into industry. Do you guys think I have a good chance for UNC?

I want to either open up independent pharmacies or yes go into industry. Do you guys think I have a good chance for UNC?
Your PCAT is excellent and GPA is competitive enough. ECs are good and show leadership and initiative. Jobs and research show you have experience and everyone likes research at an Ivy. Provided your LOR and PS are up to par and you don't blow your interview, you'll be fine at all of those schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user