School Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe70h8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you are under school orders, do you have to report in to anyone/anywhere or are you free to do what you like? My orders last from 5/31 - 7/16, but I only have school in July so I would like to go home for most of June. The letter I received was a bit unclear and was wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge.

I emailed Ms. Williams concerning this topic, but figured I would ask here as well.

Members don't see this ad.

When you receive your School Orders, the first paragraph states a reporting station and date. This is just a formality. Under school orders, you just continue on with your normal schooling/life. There is nowhere or no one to report to.

In case any one was wondering...

This is not necessarily true for everyone. I recieved my school orders beginning on the 24th of December. Did not recieve a letter at all and instead just got the email to sign up for them. I called Williams and she took care of it. End of story.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are you guys talking about? What are "school orders?"

answer: your 45 days per fiscal year that you owe your branch in active duty service while in school on a scholarship. if your school schedule does not permit a trip to a military dental clinic for a clinical clerkship, you can be placed on 'school orders'. you spend 45 days getting active duty pay in your paygrade while you go to school and live life as normal. one of your yearly 45 day periods will be spent at your branch's basic officer course (ODS in Newport, RI for the Navy).