[School List Help/WAMC]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGranolaQueen

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you get a 515 the following schools are off the table. Imo, it would be too top heavy even with a 520. ECs are okay but nothing stands out. What is T30? I’d say if it’s an Ivy (or Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Caltech), you have a decent chance because high gpa from these schools are looked at favorably. If not, it will be an uphill battle at these schools. Choose 5 you like best and fill in the other spots with target schools.

1. UCSF
  2. UCSD
  3. UCLA
  4. Michigan
  5. Johns Hopkins University
  6. Stanford
  7. NYU
  8. University of Pittsburgh
  9. WashU St. Louis
  10. Duke
  11. Vanderbilt
  12. Columbia
  13. Northwestern
  14. Emory
  15. University of Chicago
  16. Cornell
  17. Icahn Mt. Sinai
  18. University of Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any other non-clinical community service that does not involve teaching or tutoring (unless you were employed)?
Nothing that was relatively continuous—I volunteered a few times for a food bank, but otherwise my non-clinical is limited to teaching/tutoring.

I personally would not count crisis text line as clinical experience. You have gained more experience than most students who try to apply in their junior year or earlier. However, most matriculated students are older and I am unsure if your reported hours are correct as a 2nd year student. They amount to ~2600 hours, not including whatever part of your high school research continued into college. Are you including projected hours?

Reactions: 1 user
I personally would not count crisis text line as clinical experience. You have gained more experience than most students who try to apply in their junior year or earlier. However, most matriculated students are older and I am unsure if your reported hours are correct as a 2nd year student. They amount to ~2600 hours, not including whatever part of your high school research continued into college. Are you including projected hours?
Yes, I'm counting projected hours for the activities that I am continuing next year (most but not all). For crisis text line, would you suggest I categorize that as non-clinical?

Yes, I'm counting projected hours for the activities that I am continuing next year (most but not all). For crisis text line, would you suggest I categorize that as non-clinical?
Yeah, I would list it under non-clinical. What are your non-projected hours for all your activities?

Yeah, I would list it under non-clinical. What are your non-projected hours for all your activities?
  1. Clinical experience:
    1. Clinic and ER volunteer at county hospital (200 hr)
  2. Research experience/Pubs/Presentations:
    1. Undergraduate research assistant (700 hr, 1 first-author accepted mid-tier pub)
    2. High school research assistant on a project that carried into college (600 hr, 1 fourth-author accepted Nature-level pub, 1 international conference presentation)
  3. Shadowing: various specialties (50 hr)
  4. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Instructor and/or mentor in three organizations assisting at underserved local schools (100+150+50 hr)
    2. Crisis text line (100 hr) **moved from clinical
  5. Leadership/Honors/Awards:
    1. VP of school’s barbell club (300 hr)
    2. PR Director of school’s Pre-Health umbrella organization (300 hr)

1. Clinical experience:
    1. Clinic and ER volunteer at county hospital (200 hr)
  2. Research experience/Pubs/Presentations:
    1. Undergraduate research assistant (700 hr, 1 first-author accepted mid-tier pub)
    2. High school research assistant on a project that carried into college (600 hr, 1 fourth-author accepted Nature-level pub, 1 international conference presentation)
  3. Shadowing: various specialties (50 hr)
  4. Non-clinical volunteering:
    1. Instructor and/or mentor in three organizations assisting at underserved local schools (100+150+50 hr)
    2. Crisis text line (100 hr) **moved from clinical
  5. Leadership/Honors/Awards:
    1. VP of school’s barbell club (300 hr)
    2. PR Director of school’s Pre-Health umbrella organization (300 hr)
If you can gain some additional non-clinical volunteering, that would be good. Particularly in a non-tutoring setting. If you are looking to pre-write secondaries before your MCAT score comes back, you can look at your state schools. Floyd has a more focused mission, so it would be good to research into that.

Reactions: 1 user
If you get a 515 the following schools are off the table. Imo, it would be too top heavy even with a 520. ECs are okay but nothing stands out. What is T30? I’d say if it’s an Ivy (or Stanford, MIT, Chicago, Caltech), you have a decent chance because high gpa from these schools are looked at favorably. If not, it will be an uphill battle at these schools. Choose 5 you like best and fill in the other spots with target schools.

1. UCSF
  2. UCSD
  3. UCLA
  4. Michigan
  5. Johns Hopkins University
  6. Stanford
  7. NYU
  8. University of Pittsburgh
  9. WashU St. Louis
  10. Duke
  11. Vanderbilt
  12. Columbia
  13. Northwestern
  14. Emory
  15. University of Chicago
  16. Cornell
  17. Icahn Mt. Sinai
  18. University of Virginia
My undergrad is the University of Southern California. As for target schools, would you consider those to be ones with average accepted OOS ±2 from my MCAT score (excluding low yield)?

Status
Not open for further replies.