[School List Help] CA, 3.97 GPA, 518 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleu_1

Reaction score
Hello! I'm having difficulty making a school list. I just got MSAR, so I'm looking around, but I'd love to know what you all think would be good schools to research first.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
~3.9 for both

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
518 (128/128/132/130)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
CA

Ethnicity and/or race
Korean

Undergraduate institution or category
UC

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
350 hours phlebotomy

Research experience and productivity
275 hours, no pubs or posters

Shadowing experience and specialties represented
15 hours virtual shadowing

Non-clinical volunteering
1000+ hours at simulation center UCSF
75 hours teaching MS1 procedures course

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
100 hours teaching non-English speaking students in elementary school

Relevant honors or awards
deans list every quarter? summa cum laude?

My school list so far is just all CA schools (- Stanford and UCSF)

Members don't see this ad.

What is your simulation volunteering? From what you have shared so far, it looks like you have almost no non-clinical volunteering in the community, especially to those less fortunate.

You should obtain in-person shadowing before applying. Do not apply to UC Riverside if you are not from the IE.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your simulation volunteering? From what you have shared so far, it looks like you have almost no non-clinical volunteering in the community, especially to those less fortunate.
I worked as a simulation intern, which entails setting up and also teaching both medical and nursing students through simulated scenarios and plastic models.

I’ll maybe have 5-10 hours of in-person shadowing by application time

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as a simulation intern, which entails setting up and also teaching both medical and nursing students through simulated scenarios and plastic models.

I’ll maybe have 5-10 hours of in-person shadowing by application time
I don’t think I’d put intern down as non-clinical volunteering. Same with teaching the procedures course; for that one, I’d use the teaching category on AMCAS.

Your lack of shadowing and non-clinical volunteering will likely limit your chances for interviews.

I think I’ll take a gap year before applying then. Thank you!

Work on more in person clinical experiences (shadowing or other doctor-patent facing experience). Get something else with community service that has nothing to do with teaching... you have plenty. Get outside your comfort zone. The more insight you get witnessing the needs of disenfranchised communities, the better.