School list help - 10,8,13 (31Q) - 3.95 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2011 - 30 (12,6,12,Q)
28 (10,7,11 R)
2012 - 31 (10,8,13,R)

Rutgers New Brunswick, NJ resident

GPA 3.95 (science 4.0)

3 year research assistant in ecology (paid)
summer research in immunology
volunteer at food bank for 50 hours
volunteer at local library 50 hours
4 shadowing MD (80 hours)+1 more will do soon
have been working in hospital lab for 3 years (doing blood tests)
will start to volunteer at hospital for 4 hours per week

Reapplicant at *

NJ:
RWJMS*
NJMS*
Cooper*

NY:
Hofstra*
NYMC*
NYU *
U at Buffalo
SUNY Downstate *
SUNY Upstate
Stony Brook
U of Rochester
Einstein *

PA:
Drexel *
Jefferson *
Penn State *
Temple*
Commonwealth*

DC:
GWU
Georgetown
Howard

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do those NY schools count you as in-state? If not, I would add some more schools within your range of numbers that are OOS friendly.

Also, you're well rounded - volunteering, shadowing and clinical. Along with good numbers for the schools you're shooting for. Do you list any outside interests on your app? That would help, along with any leadership experience.

This is crucial for the reapplicant schools: What have you done to improve your app since the last time you applied? If it's nothing, you're facing an uphill battle. Make sure you have something to show for the extra year.

Do those NY schools count you as in-state? If not, I would add some more schools within your range of numbers that are OOS friendly.

Also, you're well rounded - volunteering, shadowing and clinical. Along with good numbers for the schools you're shooting for. Do you list any outside interests on your app? That would help, along with any leadership experience.

This is crucial for the reapplicant schools: What have you done to improve your app since the last time you applied? If it's nothing, you're facing an uphill battle. Make sure you have something to show for the extra year.
NY is considered OOS so some of the SUNY schools are a tough catch since 20% of matriculants are OOS but it is worth an apply since their VR 10th percentile is 8. Most of the volunteering is new for these schools as is hospital experience as i applied without much of these. So is the shadowing as I had only 20-40 hours. Any other advice as I want to submit my AMCAS in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else? Is it OK to include schools that have median of 31 MCAT but VR 10th percentile of 9?

I wouldn't worry too much about the VR of 8, especially if the median is only a 9. A 9 would've been ideal, but I think you can work perfectly fine with what you have. Sounds like you have put forth some noticeable improvement since last time, which is good. Make sure your PS is new/revised, and the activity descriptions have been refined. Other than that, just add some more OOS friendly schools and you're good to go, honestly.