School list for someone with < 3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously, people who can't pull a 3.0 GPA in college shouldn't be in med school, or PA school.

:thumbdown:

What about people who get 2.0's in their first 2 years, but then get near 4.0's in upper level? Yah, your logic is flawed.

:thumbup:

A good example is MedPR (just amazing). :wow:

Members don't see this ad.

This person got two interviews, ACOM and Touro-NY. Not sure if they got in though...

I unfortunately was rejected from both of those schools, but have an interview with PNWU on the 25th of this month. Still holding out hope!

Members don't see this ad :)

ohhemad.jpg

Seriously, people who can't pull a 3.0 GPA in college shouldn't be in med school, or PA school.

I think you are mistaken.

I didn't have a 3.0 in college and I have done just fine for myself. I have finished med school and am a resident at a pretty decent hospital. If I my <3.0 GPA meant I didn't belong in medical school then I would not have excelled in medical school or residency. A low GPA could mean one of two things: either you don't have the mental hutzpa or you spent more time having fun than you should have. Some of us enjoyed our college experience, perhaps a little too much and had to pay for it with an extra year or two of graduate study to prove we could hack it.

Last edited:
Don't worry... Hang in there. With the expansion of DO school, sooner the admission standards will like pod school(3.2 gpa and 22 mcat). They will have no choice but accepting applicants with below 3.0 gpa and 20 mcat.

Don't worry... Hang in there. With the expansion of DO school, sooner the admission standards will like pod school(3.2 gpa and 22 mcat). They will have no choice but accepting applicants with below 3.0 gpa and 20 mcat.

I unfortunately concur.

Edit: Sooner or later this merger will probably trickle down to the undergrad medical education level, and schools that fail to meet LCME standards will be closed.

I unfortunately concur.

lol no. There are already plenty of statistically qualified people who aren't getting in. As more spots open, there will be more space for them.

I think you are mistaken.

I didn't have a 3.0 in college and I have done just fine for myself. I have finished med school and am a resident at a pretty decent hospital. If I my <3.0 GPA meant I didn't belong in medical school then I would not have excelled in medical school or residency. A low GPA could mean one of two things: either you don't have the mental hutzpa or you spent more time having fun than you should have. Some of us enjoyed our college experience, perhaps a little too much and had to pay for it with an extra year or two of graduate study to prove we could hack it.

:)

highly doubt that. Even if it was sarcasm.:p

lol no. There are already plenty of statistically qualified people who aren't getting in. As more spots open, there will be more space for them.

This is true. There are one or two MD schools, that have been mentioned on the forum, where the entering class had around a 3.7 GPA average.

This is true. There are one or two MD schools, that have been mentioned on the forum, where the entering class had around a 3.7 GPA average.

Be careful with that stat though. New schools want to make sure their inaugural classes are amazing, and because of this I know of a few recently opened MD schools that offered big scholarships (some for the full first year tuition and others for $20k each year for 4 years) to every member of their inaugural class.

In any case you are still correct. For at least the last few years the number of medical applicants (MD and DO) has increased by ~10% each year. There are more than enough well qualified applicants being added every cycle to fill the new school seats.

I have a 3.21 cgpa, 2.9 sGPA, and a 33 MCAT. I applied really late. I've gotten one interview so far, at ACOM. Hoping I get in there. If not, I'm in a master's program and I'll apply again next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.21 cgpa, 2.9 sGPA, and a 33 MCAT. I applied really late. I've gotten one interview so far, at ACOM. Hoping I get in there. If not, I'm in a master's program and I'll apply again next cycle.

Good luck, man. I'm applying in June with similar stats (3.1 cgpa, 3.07 sgpa, April 27 MCAT)

You have a good MCAT score. Definitely apply in June, you should have decent chances at many DO schools (good MCAT, but sub-par GPA... do you have a strong upward trend?). Good luck!! :thumbup:

Be careful with that stat though. New schools want to make sure their inaugural classes are amazing, and because of this I know of a few recently opened MD schools that offered big scholarships (some for the full first year tuition and others for $20k each year for 4 years) to every member of their inaugural class.

In any case you are still correct. For at least the last few years the number of medical applicants (MD and DO) has increased by ~10% each year. There are more than enough well qualified applicants being added every cycle to fill the new school seats.

This is one of the largest reasons why those schools I mentioned before had such a high GPA for an incoming class.

CCOM, PCOM, and maybe a couple others shouldn't be on this list... They might not come out and say on their websites that they have a high cut off, but they will screen after secondaries.

My little brother's old gymnastics coach had a 2.78 cGPA when he got in. Granted, he had a 34 MCAT and amazing ECs, but he is a third year at CCOM.

Good luck, man. I'm applying in June with similar stats (3.1 cgpa, 3.07 sgpa, April 27 MCAT)

Eh I wouldn't say 3.1/3.1/27 is similar to 3.2/2.9/33

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

You have a good MCAT score. Definitely apply in June, you should have decent chances at many DO schools (good MCAT, but sub-par GPA... do you have a strong upward trend?). Good luck!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement. If ACOM doesn't work out this cycle, I'll definitely be applying again come June.

Eh I wouldn't say 3.1/3.1/27 is similar to 3.2/2.9/33

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I think he just meant he was taking the MCAT on April 27th, not that he got a 27 on it. I was confused at first when I read it, as well.

Thanks for the encouragement. If ACOM doesn't work out this cycle, I'll definitely be applying again come June.

I think he just meant he was taking the MCAT on April 27th, not that he got a 27 on it. I was confused at first when I read it, as well.

Oh, that makes more sense :) My fault.

Thanks for the encouragement. If ACOM doesn't work out this cycle, I'll definitely be applying again com June.

If I don't get in this cycle, I'll be right there with you. We have shockingly similar stats but I have a slightly lower cGPA. Apply broadly in June and you'll be fine (maybe take one science class over the summer to break 3.0 for your sGPA, that's what I'm planning to do).

I have a 2.87 cGPA, but an average sGPA of 3.4. From the research I've done on websites for the schools, from the CIB, and speaking to a few admissions offices this is the school list I have compiled, ruling out any I just don't want to attend. That said, I don't know for sure on some of these if they rule out based on overall GPA, sGPA or what, but these schools seem to have the most lax GPA screening factors.

ATSU (AZ)
AZCOM
CCOM
LECOM (ALL)
LMU
NYCOM
PNWU
PCOM (BOTH)
UMDNJ
WVSOM
Western

I hope this helps some.

Thanks for that list...I have a cGPA that is barely above the 3.0 mark (3.1+ cGPA , 3.4 sGPA). I will definitely apply to these schools. Any schools with less than 27 mcat!

Thanks for that list...I have a cGPA that is barely above the 3.0 mark (3.1+ cGPA , 3.4 sGPA). I will definitely apply to these schools. Any schools with less than 27 mcat!

I was accepted and will be attending in the fall with a 2.87 undergrad cgpa and 27 mcat. And to the person that said people with lower than 3.0gpas shouldn't be in medical school...I was undeclared (except for partying), and had a BLAST my first two years. As a result I was on academic probation with a <2.0gpa, but then I got serious about medicine took the pre reqs, worked my butt off, excelled, and will be a doc in 4 short years.

Last edited:
Hey guys, so I'm trying to compile my schools list to apply within the next couple of weeks, and have a GPA below 3.0 (2.99c/2.86s) I know that I am an underdog but I want to apply as broadly as possible without wasting my money. After looking at the CIB I know there are a few schools that have hard cutoffs like DMU, KCUMB, and VCOM. However, others like OSU, OU, NSU, RVU, and UMDNJ have "recommended" minimums. My question is to the people that have applied with a lower than 3.0 GPA: which ones automatically screen your primary for a <3.0 from personal experience?
Did you get accepted ?

I am going to be brutally honest. There is no way EVEN with amazing EC's unless you score 35+ on your Mcat.

I agree that getting as high of a GPA and MCAT as possible is key, but I know firsthand that it's not the end-all-be-all provided that everything else is really, really, really strong. Yes, I am that person with a sub 3.0 undergrad GPA and sub-30 MCAT who got into medical school.

Yes... I had to apply early, I had to ace grad school, and I had to spend 6 extra years developing ridiculously strong ECs. Am I the norm? Of course not. But it just goes to show that if you want it bad enough, and are willing to work your tail off, then you can become a doctor. Plenty of excellent physicians in this forum can attest to this.

I personally know world-renowned physicians at top medical centers (e.g., Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo, UCSF) who had embarrassingly low undergrad GPAs. Some just weren't motivated undergrad students (but thrived in med school), some had difficult extenuating circumstances, and some just took impossibly difficult courses of study (not all undergrad majors are created alike).

I also know plenty of people with perfect undergrad GPAs and 35+ MCATs who either flunked out of med school or became terrible clinicians. Alternatively, I know someone who aced a challenging double major and did well at a top PA school. Unfortunately, she now spends her days telling her patients that dipping their feet in a salty bathtub will cure them of their heart disease... YIKES. (I highly doubt her PA school endorses that as a treatment for heart disease). Sorry, but there's more to being a physician/PA/nurse/healthcare professional than GPA.

Good luck to all the underdogs applying. You CAN do it! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users