Will a 3.0 get me screened out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlaurel380

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? What are your MCAT scores ? What is your sGPA? Any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering/employment ?

Reactions: 1 user
My overall gpa is below a 3 but my science gpa is above it. I did a postbacc like you and my last 120 unit are 3.85.
I applied to schools that either looked at the app holistically and I met their gpa cutoff.
You have to look at schools that won’t screen you out. Some schools have 2.8 cutoff and other are above 3.0.
Some have a counterbalance between a gpa and MCAT. There is a thread somewhere on SDN of someone that applied to like 70 schools and asked them about their min gpa and MCAT score. Also in state schools will also look send you a secondary if your in state and if your OOS they have a gpa screen.
Just do your due diligence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your state of residence ? What are your MCAT scores ? What is your sGPA? Any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering/employment ?
Texas. I am taking the MCAT in September. My sGPA is the same. 50 hours of shadowing and 1000+ hours of clinical employment

A September MCAT might be a little on the late side for this cycle

Texas. I am taking the MCAT in September. My sGPA is the same. 50 hours of shadowing and 1000+ hours of clinical employment
That is a really late date for taking the MCAT, although technically it is allowed for TMDSAS.
A quote from their application guide:
"If you are applying for entry year 2023, then September 10th, 2022 is the last date that you can take the MCAT."

A better plan might be to apply to TMDSAS in 2023-2024, or to apply to DO schools on AACOMAS this year if you get an MCAT 500 or better.

I did an informal postbacc, not an SMP. I don’t know if that makes a difference but I just wanted to clarify

My last 60 hours (including postbacc) are 3.9. There really isn’t much more I can add to make any significant difference.
4th year medical student here from Oklahoma State. I got in with a 2.99 and 502 MCAT. I think my final 60 hours was close to 3.9. I contacted the school after developing a relationship with them and they allowed me to do grade replacement.

Reactions: 1 user