MD School List for 513, 3.76 cum URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoManyMedQuestions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I put together my school list using MSAR and this is what I came up with.
Metrics: 513 MCAT & estimated* GPA 3.76 (HUGE upward trend) and sGPA 3.68-3.7.

*Estimated because I have a year left, assuming all A's in the rest of my classes which is doable.

URM from SoCal with solid EC's including 3 years of research with poster presentations and 1-2 publications, coach girls soccer for 2 years, worked at a children's hospital for a year, 500+ volunteer hours, tons of shadowing, founder of a large community service organization at school, VP of a cooking club, part of multiple college panels for the underserved community to ask questions about college, very confident about letters of rec, etc..

Any opinions on the list I put together? Feedback would be amazing right now.

-Of course I included Harvard; you just have to.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 7.39.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 7.39.56 PM.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Louisiana, UMass and North Carolina accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?

Reactions: 1 user
Louisiana, UMass and North Carolina accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Which URM group do you belong to? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish?

Yes, I am Hispanic and fluent in Spanish (my first language actually). I was worried that would be the case with Louisiana and NC, but according to MSAR, UMASS is matriculating at an average of 510 which puts me in the 75th percentile, and at a GPA of 3.71 which I can easily clear by the time I apply. Think that's still not enough?:(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your CA MD schools
Tufts
Boston University
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Miami
Duke
Mayo-AZ
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
You can try UMass but they accept very few non residents with no connection to the state.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All your CA MD schools
Tufts
Boston University
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Miami
Duke
Mayo-AZ
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
You can try UMass but they accept very few non residents with no connection to the state.

Thank you so much, I will look over my list and really consider substituting some of the ones I have for the ones you suggested. Thoughts on retaking the MCAT for a 517+?

You should definitely throw in a few reach schools to top tier schools like Columbia, and Yale.

Retaking the MCAT would be a mistake you have a good score.

You should definitely throw in a few reach schools to top tier schools like Columbia, and Yale.

Retaking the MCAT would be a mistake you have a good score.

Would those 2 be your top 2 recommendations for me as far as top tier schools go? I guess I was always aiming for a top 20, but after making this list I'm very happy with a lot of the schools that are reasonably within my reach. Thank you!

You are borderline for being seen as arrogant or overly perfectionistic if you retake the MCAT. I'd only do it if your practice tests have been consistently 517+.

You are borderline for being seen as arrogant or overly perfectionistic if you retake the MCAT. I'd only do it if your practice tests have been consistently 517+.

The thing is I was getting 130-131 CARS on my fl aamc practice tests and somehow ended up with a 126 (breakdown: 130/126/128/129) so I'm thinking it was just a bad CARS day.

Would those 2 be your top 2 recommendations for me as far as top tier schools go? I guess I was always aiming for a top 20, but after making this list I'm very happy with a lot of the schools that are reasonably within my reach. Thank you!

Honestly, if I had your stats I would apply take the gamble and apply to all the top schools I would be interested in attending (Cornell, Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford ... take your pick). You are basically at or slightly above most schools 10th percentile for both MCAT and GPA, and you are URM. "Supposedly" the majority of people on here say that those in the 10th percentile tend to be minority/or URM students. If you have the money apply to any school you are interested in. I wouldn't get my hopes up but I would regret not applying since ideally you only go through this process once and at least in my eyes it is not unreasonable to see you receiving an interview invite from any of these schools. Apply to the point where you would have no regrets and confident that you put your best foot forward and may the chips fall where they may.

Make sure to pre-write secondaries and apply as early as possible! Good luck and I wish you the best.

Honestly, if I had your stats I would apply take the gamble and apply to all the top schools I would be interested in attending (Cornell, Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Stanford ... take your pick). You are basically at or slightly above most schools 10th percentile for both MCAT and GPA, and you are URM. "Supposedly" the majority of people on here say that those in the 10th percentile tend to be minority/or URM students. If you have the money apply to any school you are interested in. I wouldn't get my hopes up but I would regret not applying since ideally you only go through this process once and at least in my eyes it is not unreasonable to see you receiving an interview invite from any of these schools. Apply to the point where you would have no regrets and confident that you put your best foot forward and may the chips fall where they may.

Make sure to pre-write secondaries and apply as early as possible! Good luck and I wish you the best.
I appreciate the advice! Thank you for the wishes and I will post again soon for a final school list:)

Here is my "final" school list minus Stanford. I would love more feedback on this please!:) Thank you all!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.27.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.27.36 PM.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 77