School List Critique - UPDATED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroscie23

Reaction score
My list is way too long, I need t
stats:
  1. cGPA: 4.0, sGPA, 4.0
  2. 516 (130/131/125/130) (92nd percentile)
  3. Connecticut resident
  4. South Asian, US born
  5. T200 medium sized private school
  6. Volunteer clinical experience: 175 hours
Paid Clinical Experience: 765 hours

7. Research experience 1: 475 hours, 2 posters (2nd author, 5th author)

Research experience 2: 800 hours, 5 publications (1 author, 3 author, 2 author, 5 author, 5 author), and 1 book chapter in review (6 author)

8. Shadowing: 500 hours, GI, Neuro, Anesthesia

9. Non Clinical Volunteering: 360 hours

10. Many leadership activities: 800 hours
1715908618410.png

Members don't see this ad.

Remove schools such as LSU, Geisinger, SUNY Downstate since they admit few non residents with no connection to the state.

Reactions: 1 user
Follow the template

I would like details on your activities. Your metrics won't be an issue, but how you appeal to schools on your list will. I'm unsure you have enough service orientation activities to include the Catholic or service-oriented schools on your list. If you don't have a lot of advocacy in your leadership, that could also help you strike other schools from your list.

As a Connecticut resident, why are you choosing the schools outside the Northeast? How did you perform on Casper or PREview?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Follow the template

I would like details on your activities. Your metrics won't be an issue, but how you appeal to schools on your list will. I'm unsure you have enough service orientation activities to include the Catholic or service-oriented schools on your list. If you don't have a lot of advocacy in your leadership, that could also help you strike other schools from your list.

As a Connecticut resident, why are you choosing the schools outside the Northeast? How did you perform on Casper or PREview?
Most of the schools outside the northeast are east coast or in cities id like to live in, but I prefer to stay in the north east if that helps. The Louisiana schools are because of ties to the state. My service is non clinical volunteering where I was a part of the recreation department in a nursing home and put on games and bingo night etc activities. The other service is hospital volunteering which is clinical. In terms of the clinical activities, I did patient vital signs, took histories, and worked with the doctors when they were discussing treatment with patients. My research was bench for the first research activity, and clinical for the second when I got the publications. Leadership activities were from president of a club, peer mentor, board member, and honors program e board. Casper I am taking at the end of this month, and am not registered yet for pre view so I'm not sure if I will take it unless schools on my list will require it (will decide once I have a list). Any help on how to make a better list is appreciated!

Most of the schools outside the northeast are east coast or in cities id like to live in, but I prefer to stay in the north east if that helps. The Louisiana schools are because of ties to the state. My service is non clinical volunteering where I was a part of the recreation department in a nursing home and put on games and bingo night etc activities. The other service is hospital volunteering which is clinical. In terms of the clinical activities, I did patient vital signs, took histories, and worked with the doctors when they were discussing treatment with patients. My research was bench for the first research activity, and clinical for the second when I got the publications. Leadership activities were from president of a club, peer mentor, board member, and honors program e board. Casper I am taking at the end of this month, and am not registered yet for pre view so I'm not sure if I will take it unless schools on my list will require it (will decide once I have a list). Any help on how to make a better list is appreciated!
Also, I have included a shortened list. Please let me know if I should add or subtract from what I've provided.

Duke
Stanford
Yale
UMichigan
Upittsburg
Icahn
Emory
Case Western
Boston University

Colarado
Ohio State
University of rochester
Brown
University of cinicanity
UIowa
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Tufts
UCONN
Virginia commonwealth
hackensack
saint Louis
Creighton

Wake forest
Temple
New York Med
Tulane
LSU
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac

Most of the schools outside the northeast are east coast or in cities id like to live in, but I prefer to stay in the north east if that helps. ... Also, I have included a shortened list. Please let me know if I should add or subtract from what I've provided.

Let's break it down by region then.

Northeast
Yale (IS private Ivy)
Icahn Mt. Sinai
Boston University
Rochester
Brown
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Tufts
UConn (IS public, should include)
Hackensack
Temple
NYMC
Quinnipiac/Netter (IS private)

Southeast
Duke
Emory
VCU
Wake Forest
LSU
Tulane

Central/Midwest
Michigan
Pittsburgh
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Iowa
St. Louis
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin

Western
Stanford
Colorado

If you aren't wedded to the West, drop the two programs. Pick up the other Philadelphia schools like Penn, Drexel, or SKMC/TJU (do the homework). You'd have to check Geisinger Commonwealth. I'll let the list-makers make the suggestions otherwise.

Let's break it down by region then.

If you aren't wedded to the West, drop the two programs. Pick up the other Philadelphia schools like Penn, Drexel, or SKMC/TJU (do the homework). You'd have to check Geisinger Commonwealth. I'll let the list-makers make the suggestions otherwise.
Is that Penn state or UPenn?

New list,

Harvard
UPenn
Duke
Stanford
Yale
UMich
UPitt
Icahn
Emory
Case Western
Boston U

Ohio State
URochester
Brown
UCininati
UIowa
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Tufts
UCONN
Jefferson
Virginia Common
Hackensack

Wake Forest
Temple
Drexel
NYMC
Tulane
Rosalind Franklyn
Quinnipiac

Hi. I need to finalize my list, and I wanted some help.

Reach:

Harvard

Stanford

Yale

UMichigan

Emory

Case Western

Boston U

URochester

Brown

Target:

UPittsburgh

UConn

Jefferson

Quinnipiac

UMiami

UIowa

Colorado

Georgetown

Dartmouth

UCincinati

Ohio State

Tufts

Baseline:

Temple

Tulane

Wayne State

Rosalind Franklin

UVermont

Eastern Virgnia

Hackensack

I would beef up the mid-tier section of your list and cut from the top and bottom. At least, it's hard to tell what the quality of your application without reading it is, but at the moment, I'm concerned you have a few too many of the "tip top" schools that are hard to garner an interview even for the most competitive of applicants. Also, I can't imagine schools like NYMC and Quinnipiac will take you seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would beef up the mid-tier section of your list and cut from the top and bottom. At least, it's hard to tell what the quality of your application without reading it is, but at the moment, I'm concerned you have a few too many of the "tip top" schools that are hard to garner an interview even for the most competitive of applicants. Also, I can't imagine schools like NYMC and Quinnipiac will take you seriously.
I got rid of NYMC. Why wouldn't Quinnipiac take my seriously? What schools would you suggest cutting?

I suggest:

Stanford (if those publications are in higher impact journals)
UMichigan
Emory
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic
Boston U
URochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Icahn
Brown
UPittsburgh
UConn
Jefferson
Temple
Quinnipiac
USF Morsani
UVA
UMiami
UIowa
Mayo
Saint Louis
Colorado
Georgetown
Dartmouth
UCincinati
Ohio State
Tufts
UVermont
Hackensack

I suggest:

Stanford (if those publications are in higher impact journals)
UMichigan
Emory
Case Western/Cleveland Clinic
Boston U
URochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Icahn
Brown
UPittsburgh
UConn
Jefferson