School list (3.98/ 525, limited research)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sPreDoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a good list and should receive several interviews.
Thank you! I used a lot of the previous school lists & WARS to make it currently. Any schools you would remove or add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Over 5000 hours of employment, so you have been out of school... 3 years? When did you take your MCAT? I'm also presuming with that GPA and MCAT score, upper level biomedical science courses are covered. I agree that your list thus seems solid. What are you looking for in a program since your background is more computational and entrepreneurial?

Reactions: 1 user
@Mr.Smile12 Yes I have been working for 3 years. I took my MCAT in September 2020. Yes, I took all the required prereqs before graduating and some upper-level classes, particularly around computational genetics.

I am interested in primary care & internal medicine and the way that care is delivered today. I would love to attend a school that allows me to pursue my interest in primary care delivery through research, policy & innovation programs as digital (e.g., remote patient monitoring, advanced models), alternative payment models (e.g., value-based care) & accessibility (e.g., allowing people with mobility, sight/ hearing impairments to access care). As I have read many of the schools mission statements, it seems to loosely align but don't know if you have some more than others that are better

I am interested in primary care & internal medicine and the way that care is delivered today. I would love to attend a school that allows me to pursue my interest in primary care delivery through research, policy & innovation programs as digital (e.g., remote patient monitoring, advanced models), alternative payment models (e.g., value-based care) & accessibility (e.g., allowing people with mobility, sight/ hearing impairments to access care). As I have read many of the schools mission statements, it seems to loosely align but don't know if you have some more than others that are better
From what you are describing you want to find schools that can help you with health innovation technologies and entrepreneurship since that's not going to be what you'll learn predominantly in medical school. I'm not sure why you can't just go for a master's in health innovation or public policy. (Coursera class: Health Care Innovation ). Have you talked with any health tech developers in the areas you say you are interested in, and what do they suggest regarding medical school? Health policy is a very critical area where you can make the impact in implementing these technologies safely and within regulations.

Of course to that end, Hopkins, Michigan, Stanford are the usual schools based on the strengths of their medical schools, business schools, and ties to local tech and intellectual property. Frankly most of your brand-name universities will do that. I just want to be sure that you will do well enough doing medical school things that will not feed into your interests for the mandatory preclinical portion of the curriculum. In the end you will need to be trained as a resident if you were to continue along that route as a physician. (Of course, you can choose not to and go entrepreneurial. Find out which schools support you there.)

Last edited:
From what you are describing you want to find schools that can help you with health innovation technologies and entrepreneurship since that's not going to be what you'll learn predominantly in medical school. I'm not sure why you can't just go for a master's in health innovation or public policy. (Coursera class: Health Care Innovation ). Have you talked with any health tech developers in the areas you say you are interested in, and what do they suggest regarding medical school? Health policy is a very critical area where you can make the impact in implementing these technologies safely and within regulations.

Of course to that end, Hopkins, Michigan, Stanford are the usual schools based on the strengths of their medical schools, business schools, and ties to local tech and intellectual property. Frankly most of your brand-name universities will do that. I just want to be sure that you will do well enough doing medical school things that will not feed into your interests for the mandatory preclinical portion of the curriculum. In the end you will need to be trained as a resident if you were to continue along that route as a physician. (Of course, you can choose not to and go entrepreneurial. Find out which schools support you there.)

I have thought for the last 3-7 years about the decision and ultimately I want my career to be focused on clinical care with health innovation & policy on the side. To that end, you can not treat & be with patients with a master's in health innovation or public policy. To your point, I have spoken to 30+ people in the health innovation space that have pushed me not to pursue medical school as from a financial & time perspective, it is not a clear path. That said, I would not be fulfilled with my career & do not believe I can reach my goals without impacting clinical care.

I appreciate your perspective, have heard it before & understand that there are other paths I may be able to take however know that I want to be involved in clinical medicine with patients & becoming a physician is the path for that while all else is additional only.

I get your point and am glad you have had conversations about it with others. I agree there is no set path in entrepreneurship and innovation. It takes a very passionate person to do it. But I am focused on your statement:

I am interested in primary care & internal medicine and the way that care is delivered today. I would love to attend a school that allows me to pursue my interest in primary care delivery through research, policy & innovation programs as digital (e.g., remote patient monitoring, advanced models), alternative payment models (e.g., value-based care) & accessibility (e.g., allowing people with mobility, sight/ hearing impairments to access care).

I would ask every medical student you run into about this. Your first year at most medical schools will not fulfill this, and most that do have some experience probably developed it after COVID-19. Definitely let me know if I'm wrong. See if the schools on your list have entrepreneur clubs and how much they drove into the topics you mention. I go to a fair number of health innovation talks, and I know not many medical students or residents are present.

I'm not sure that if you pick the wrong place you'll be very unhappy and unfulfilled. Seriously, if you want to be involved with patient care, I think you should focus on that part. You have the opportunity to be very selective so just make sure you convey the doctor part is what you need the most development on. In time, you will find the engineers and technologists who will help fulfill those other areas that motivate you.